New to Globecar (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022
We've just purchased a 2011 Globcar Campscout with 22,000 miles on the clock - It's being prepped over the next week or so. Does anyone have any advice regarding what we need to look out for when we do the handover? Also anything that is likely to go wrong in the first few months of ownership especially regarding damp? (We have a 3 month guarantee on the vehicle).

For context: Our previous MH was a 2006 Autocruise Starseeker that was written off by a load of druggies hitting it side on at very high speed. So we have a year's experience with a coach built vehicle, but no experience with panel van conversions.

Many thanks.

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
I've got a campscout which I bought new just over a year ago. Not had any real problems but the day I took it for the first hab check I noticed some slight staining in the garage cubby hole when I emptied it. They confirmed it was damp and claimed they couldn't see why but did say they had resealed the water filler tube, which is directly above the area. I've purchased a toptes damp meter which is currently reporting around 17% damp, which is an improvement on the original 45%. I will ensure van is booked in prior to next anniversary so they can resolve under warranty if still a problem. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought damp was a big concern... Some have reported cracked shower trays and spongy floors by door but I have no experience of that. So far I'm very pleased with the campscout, a great design which works very well. Enjoy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
I wanted to do that but they wouldn't let me, apparently you have to ask in advance at my dealer

In that case I would have walked away and told them I would buy elsewhere.
It wasn't that important, had I walked away, I would have been the one losing out not the dealer. Just wanted to make people aware it might be worth asking in advance... Not to assume you can.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Globecar are a quality German van conversion.. Part of the Pössl Group..

one I would have no qualms about buying ..

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Welcome to the Globecar community!
If you miss anything on handover there are several of us on here and the Globecar & Possl group on Facebook is a fantastic resource.
You may experience a slight condensation issue inside the high level cupboards over the beds if they’re well filled - easily solved. With a PVC there’s much less of an issue with condensation causing structural problems.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
In that case I would have walked away and told them I would buy elsewhere.
Over a video, really? Even if the next van had a price increase and they messed you around over your deposit, you would have walked away?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Over a video, really? Even if the next van had a price increase and they messed you around over your deposit, you would have walked away?
Yes, if they wouldn’t allow a simple thing like videoing a handover I wouldn’t trust them on after service, they should be going all out to make you want to buy from them, customer service and customer satisfaction should be high on their list, I would walk away as they obviously wouldn’t want my money.

Apr 12, 2015
south devon
Funster No
MH
globecar pvc
Exp
complete novice
we bought our campscout 3yrs ago and never looked back. and even though its 9yrs old interior is as new ,unlike a swift we had before, because of the german build quality.
jump in and enjoy . we have made a few mods to the van but so far no probs(touch wood!!)
look at minxy's pages on here, very useful (y)
make sure they give you the spanner for the drain tank.
as david bw said any probs there is plenty of help here(y)

OP
OP
KiltedCamper
Sep 18, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022
Welcome to the Globecar community!
If you miss anything on handover there are several of us on here and the Globecar & Possl group on Facebook is a fantastic resource.
You may experience a slight condensation issue inside the high level cupboards over the beds if they’re well filled - easily solved. With a PVC there’s much less of an issue with condensation causing structural problems.
Many thanks for the welcome!

I'm still learning about our 2010 Globecar Campscout, and I've just spotted that something seems to be missing. I decided yesterday to try out the shower - I hadn't done it before because it's been too cold to risk an experiment. I realised that there is no shower curtain in the shower area. On investigation I spotted a load of what I can only describe as nipples in the ceiling and a few poppers on the walls. My best guess so far is that the vertical nipples might be meant to support a rail, but it really is only a guess.

The dealer from whom we purchased the van hadn't really noticed that there should be a shower curtain of some sort to protect the fridge front panel and the tambour doors, and couldn't suggest what I should buy or where I should get a suitable curtain and/or fittings.

I tried SMC... They suggested I send them the chassis number and pictures of what I want to replace. the delivery time for any part would be 3 to 6 months!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need and where to get it? Here are some pictures of the area.

Any advice gratefully received - I don't want to spray water all over the centre of the van, but I DO want to be able to shower :)

20240401_183919.jpg

20240401_183928.jpg

20240401_183934.jpg

20240401_183939.jpg

20240401_183947.jpg

20240401_183951.jpg

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
This is the shower curtain in our 2014 Campscout, it pulls accross to keep the toilet area dry while the tambour doors protect the bed and frige etc.

20240402_142738.jpg

20240402_142556.jpg

OP
OP
KiltedCamper
Sep 18, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022
Thanks for this. So the tambour doors get wet on one side and are not covered by a curtain, or does your curtain rail go all the way round? The odd thing is that on ours the tambour doors close off the front and rear of the of the shower area and don't cover either the lavatory side or the fridge side. It looks as though you have a curtain rail in front of the lavatory where we have the top rail for one of the tambour doors. I'm guessing you have another curtain rail in front of the fridge. Is that right?

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
We have 2 tambour doors. One is in use daily to close the toilet, separate the bedroom from the rest of the van or create an en suite.
The other one curls up like a swiss roll and joins to the other one when we use the shower. It stops the kitchen, bedroom and fridge areas getting wet. The curtain pulls across to join the tambour doors and keeps the toilet area dry.
Sounds quite complicated but its really quite simple.
If you're still confused, PM me and I can do a quick video for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back