New Teltonika RUTX50 and A-MIMO-3-V2-17 - Poynting 7-in-1 Antenna Abysmal Download Speeds (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So i have just got around to fitting my RUTX50 and A-MIMO-3-V2-17 - Poynting 7-in-1 Antenna to the motorhome and i must say that if this is what I can expect then this is not going to be in there for very long. So far with my EE sim card i can only achieve around 1-3mb download speed with this all connected. Now if i connect my ZTE MU5001 mifi device without an antenna i can get 58mb download in the same location which is what I expect.

I have logged a ticket with Solwise as i cannot put up with that and there must be something wrong somewhere.

I put on the mobile antenna storks that come with the RUTX50, and it's the same, so it must be the router somehow, it's been updated to the latest firmware as well.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Itineo A Class
Exp
10yrs
Yes, definitely sounds like the RUTX50 if the Sim gets better signal in a differant MiFi and the RUTX has the same performance with or without external antenna.

I have the same setup (also on EE) and find it works very well, but was a real bugger to setup - I had to use manual APN settings rather than Auto which seemed to cheer it up.
As part of my research I saw a few comments on ""changing the band selection settings from auto to manual and excluded B20"" (only do this if you understand what it means)
If you do make loads of changes, definitely do a config backup before starting.. I didn't and lost 2hours of life d1cking about with it..
Also on Firmware, there is both Router and Modem firmware (confusing) and I notice there is a release from 12th June - I wonder if you could get an older version..I can check exactly, but from memory I'm on 00.07.06.x release train

• Informative
Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Its not fit for purpose in it's current state, i am only seeing one band on the router itself which is below, i can make changes to whatever as long as i know what they are but really this thing should just work.

1719232503715.png

This is why the speeds are so slow but it doesnt answer the question as to why the same sim in the mifi unit right next to this device can then get 58mb download

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
i could quite easily factory reset it if its going to help as its at the start of the install so nothing to lose, just seeing if they come back with anything as i sent them a troubleshooting file and they have forwarded it on to teltonika

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Do you get the same speeds from the internal speed test? Or plugged in via a LAN cable?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Do you get the same speeds from the internal speed test? Or plugged in via a LAN cable?
All my tests have been over wireless to make sure they are all the same/accurate.

From within the router itself is below which is still appalling and over 10x slower than the mifi this replaced
1719233937813.png

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
All my tests have been over wireless to make sure they are all the same/accurate.

From within the router itself is below which is still appalling and over 10x slower than the mifi this replaced
View attachment 914269
I installed mine and was testing and getting really bad speeds... I was in the house, only about 10m from the van, but it was enough to kill the results from the connection tests. Using the internal speed test within the Teltonika interface, it was reporting much faster performance. I moved my laptop to the van and it was suddenly much better.

So the issue could be WiFi. Check the internal speed test to eliminate it.

Side question: I assume the WiFi antenna ports on the device are to connect broadcast the LAN WiFi... so is it a good idea to connect them to the external antenna if you want a good WiFi signal inside the van?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I installed mine and was testing and getting really bad speeds... I was in the house, only about 10m from the van, but it was enough to kill the results from the connection tests. Using the internal speed test within the Teltonika interface, it was reporting much faster performance. I moved my laptop to the van and it was suddenly much better.

So the issue could be WiFi. Check the internal speed test to eliminate it.

Side question: I assume the WiFi antenna ports on the device are to connect broadcast the LAN WiFi... so is it a good idea to connect them to the external antenna if you want a good WiFi signal inside the van?
Not sure i understand, i posted the internal speed tests earlier from the actual device itself which registered just over 4mb download.

The wifi connections are plugged into the wifi ports from the poynting antenna, is this what you mean?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Yes. I've done the same... I'm not actually sure if it's a smart thing to do.
ah i see, the wifi seems to be ok as its certainly seems strong but i now see what you mean.(y)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
ah i see, the wifi seems to be ok as its certainly seems strong but i now see what you mean.(y)
The router is generally for industrial use, not motorhome specific. And the antenna is a high grade vehicle telematics antenna. They're often used on vehicles that return to the depot and upload their data on the depot WiFi, so an external WiFi antenna makes sense.

But we want to broadcast WiFi inside the vehicle, so WiFi antennas on the roof might be stupid for us? Unless the router can double duty and extend a campsite's WiFi???

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Unless the router can double duty and extend a campsite's WiFi???
My understanding is that this is def possible with this router as its one of the reasons why i brought it :)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My understanding is that this is def possible with this router as its one of the reasons why i brought it :)
I've always found site WiFi terrible. So I've never bothered to connect the router to it. It might be handy when the van is on the drive at home though. Use my unlimited home data instead of a limited SIM.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I've always found site WiFi terrible. So I've never bothered to connect the router to it. It might be handy when the van is on the drive at home though. Use my unlimited home data instead of a limited SIM.
For sure, I was just trying to maximise my uses as i never really bother with site Wi-Fi as it's never any good, but when needs must it might come in handy.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
I had lower than expected download speeds when I originally installed my Poynting Mimo and Teltonika RUT240.

I've posted this before on another thread (which I can't find) but when I swapped the Poynting TS9 tails over on the RUT240 the download speeds significantly increased. It was a simple fix that has worked well until I upgraded the RUT240.

Don't ask me why it worked but maybe give it a try as it's a two minute workaround.

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Unless the router can double duty and extend a campsite's WiFi???
I've done this with my RUTX50 a few times at campsites to pull in their Wifi signal and share it inside the van when there's been almost zero LTE reception.

Campsites with certain types of captive portals need a little bit faffing with MAC addresses, as the RUTX50 can't click the accept/agree button, but otherwise saves the day when there's no reception.

Connecting to a hotspot

Here's the MAC address faffing

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I had lower than expected download speeds when I originally installed my Poynting Mimo and Teltonika RUT240.

I've posted this before on another thread (which I can't find) but when I swapped the Poynting TS9 tails over on the RUT240 the download speeds significantly increased. It was a simple fix that has worked well until I upgraded the RUT240.

Don't ask me why it worked but maybe give it a try as it's a two minute workaround.
Here? https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...535-232-teltonika-rut590.289266/#post-5754294

or here? https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/mifi-antenna.284389/#post-5722029

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
They are sma's on the rutx50 and on the antenna not ts9's i am afraid, so this will not help, thanks anyway

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
They are sma's on the rutx50 and on the antenna not ts9's i am afraid, so this will not help, thanks anyway
Looking at my old defunct RUT240 yes, you are correct they are sma's, so it was these that were swapped over and made the significant difference.

Maybe worth a try?

• Informative
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Looking at my old defunct RUT240 yes, you are correct they are sma's, so it was these that were swapped over and made the significant difference.

Maybe worth a try?
So on the Rutx50 i checked with solwise as there are of course 4 antenna ports for the mobile side, the poytning antenna does have these as different names so to be sure i asked them if there was a specific order to connect them and there response was it does not matter. I don't mind changing them but there needs to be some logic to it

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So on the Rutx50 i checked with solwise as there are of course 4 antenna ports for the mobile side, the poytning antenna does have these as different names so to be sure i asked them if there was a specific order to connect them and there response was it does not matter. I don't mind changing them but there needs to be some logic to it
I know absolutely hee haw about your router \ MiMo aerial (we've got the 2 cable one) but don't know if this would be of any use? Not a lot of info but ................

ps to expand on my first sentence I know absolutely hee haw about anything!:RollEyes:

pps think this might be the other forum he was referring to https://confusedbird.com/archive/index.php?thread-255.html

ppps https://community.teltonika-networks.com/56425/rutx50-with-2x2-mimo-antenna?show=56437#a56437

Last edited:
  • Informative
May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Fully understand your sentiments regarding supporting logic for swapping the sma leads, unfortunately there isn't any it just worked for me when I had the slow download issue.

My RUT240 eventually gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a Netgear Nighthawk M1 hence my earlier incorrect ts9 reference.
Hope you find a solution to your issues. Have you looked at the Teltonika Crowd Support Forum to see if there is a thread on your particular issues. https://community.teltonika-networks.com/

• Informative
Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I'm a bit like Gellyneck (in that I know hee haw about Telonikas) but I was looking at these MIMO aerials and as you say you've got 2 pairs of 2 inputs each. Surely these need to be connected as pairs - ie aerial A from pair one needs to be connected so it matches up with aerial B from pair 1 (not any of the aerials from pair 2) - if you can follow that. ( I barely can myself!)

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Checking the Teltonika links above, it looks like the 2 outer connections on the X50 are low frequency, and the 2 inner cover higher frequency bands plus 4x4 MIMO.

Even Teltonika reps seem to say it shouldn't matter, however recommend experimenting.
Every day's a school day, as they say.

Not in the van right now, I've got the same setup except not EE, can't remember whether the Poynting connections are numbered?

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 16.35.52.png

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm a bit like Gellyneck (in that I know hee haw about Telonikas) but I was looking at these MIMO aerials and as you say you've got 2 pairs of 2 inputs each. Surely these need to be connected as pairs - ie aerial A from pair one needs to be connected so it matches up with aerial B from pair 1 (not any of the aerials from pair 2) - if you can follow that. ( I barely can myself!)
That's what I thought myself (I think!):whistle2:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I switched my connectors over between the 4 inputs with a few combos. I got between 30 and 50 Mbps in each case. Probably within the bounds of random experimental variations.

• Informative
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Checking the Teltonika links above, it looks like the 2 outer connections on the X50 are low frequency, and the 2 inner cover higher frequency bands plus 4x4 MIMO.

Even Teltonika reps seem to say it shouldn't matter, however recommend experimenting.
Every day's a school day, as they say.

Not in the van right now, I've got the same setup except not EE, can't remember whether the Poynting connections are numbered?

View attachment 914364
Thats exactly how it was connected as i found the same thread when searching over the weekend, the download speeds i posted first are with this setup. I have since been out there and swapped them over to the portable ones which did not help but when i reconnected the roof ones i just screwed them in and i did see a slight improvement but no where near what i would expect.

Teltonika need to sort this i think as i cannot be the only one with this issue.

The poynting connections are labelled just before the SMA connector and they are as above ie
CELL1Main
CELL1 AUX/DIV
CELL2 MAIN
CELL2 AUX/DIV

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thats exactly how it was connected as i found the same thread when searching over the weekend, the download speeds i posted first are with this setup. I have since been out there and swapped them over to the portable ones which did not help but when i reconnected the roof ones i just screwed them in and i did see a slight improvement but no where near what i would expect.

Teltonika need to sort this i think as i cannot be the only one with this issue.
OK, here's the, without doubt, guaranteed working solution for you!

I'll give you a tenner for the lot (including postage) to take it off your hands.

Obviously, it'll be at a pound a week.(y)

The things I do to help other Lifers out. I should get a bl**dy medal.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back