Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Scotland is the Jewel in the British Crown 👑
Generally spoilt by midgets that gets everywhere...even when using the strongest DEET sprays...
The weather is fairly awful, the food types questionable...but OK if you can stomach batter...
The scenery is stunning. Bagpipes incredible...kilts, wonderful on ladies...
And now....a plague of motorhomes and campers all driven by one letter and three numbers...have spoilt the pleasure...
The "Haste ye back" signs have all been removed...you get one go and that's your lot..
Of course we have been many times, walked it, biked it and skied many a top and Glen...climbed the highest and most of its lower companions....most if only the difficult Munros completed...but no more...the legs are weak and the thoughts are elsewhere...
The reference to Midgets was a genuine quote overheard once... perhaps German or Dutch.... didn't want to correct them...it was too funny at the time....🥳👍😃

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I linked it the post above yours .....

That didn’t go unnoticed.
However when I looked after my initial (not subsequent) response (i.e. before you posted) I couldn’t find the post that I recalled which, incidentally, isn't the one that you found.😎

Ian

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That didn’t go unnoticed.
However when I looked after my initial (not subsequent) response (i.e. before you posted) I couldn’t find the post that I recalled which, incidentally, isn't the one that you found.😎

Ian
there are quite a few!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So what does the class think? Is this a useful start?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Nice One!
Reactions: f6c

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

The car parks in the scheme already permit overnighting for a fee (typically £10/night). At a cost of £40 it’d be worth it if you felt confident that you’d visit at least four of them. For us, I’d rather not feel driven by that need.

However, to be fair to the scheme, it also allows free use of showers at council run (e.g. sports centres, swimming pool, etc) facilities. However, for us, that isn’t something that we’d be looking to use.

For some, I’m sure that it would be an attractive proposition but not for us.

Oh, and the permit lasts only 7 days - make it a fortnight and that would be more tempting.

Ian

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
They can FRO. I’ll certainly NOT be paying them £40 a week for the privilege of driving in part of the UK.
I have no objection, however, to paying say £10-£15 for parking in an aire type area if it had facilities to dump water, a chemical waste dump and fresh water. Oh and bins.
If there were loads more “ aires “ then the waste dumping issue would vanish ( apart from the scumbags who do it everywhere anyway ).
This would also eventually have a knock on effect on reducing the ridiculous campsite prices.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Because it won’t stay voluntary will it. If you give these idiots an inch they’ll take a mile! This stupid idea needs stamping out before it gets implemented.
Where will it end? The Lake District? The Peak District? Devon & Cornwall? No.
They need to come down massively on the arseholes who dump their crap everywhere and not on the ones who do things correctly.
It’s about being in Scotland not parking up. You still pay for that on top of the £40 a week!

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Because it won’t stay voluntary will it. If you give these idiots an inch they’ll take a mile! This stupid idea needs stamping out before it gets implemented.
Where will it end? The Lake District? The Peak District? Devon & Cornwall? No.
They need to come down massively on the arseholes who dump their crap everywhere and not on the ones who do things correctly.
That's ok, just pay the £10 per night in the car parks if you use them. Not a problem.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
It’ll turn into a tourist tax. Utterly ridiculous. Are they going to charge cars to tour Scotland? No, it’s discriminatory.

Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
It's just one of many options available and isn't compulsory. Provides one alternative to staying at more expensive campsites. Other alternatives include the increasing number of Aires. Not sure I understand the reference to cars - they, generally, don't overnight in car parks or need the same facilities.

Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
It's just one of many options available and isn't compulsory. Provides one alternative to staying at more expensive campsites. Other alternatives include the increasing number of Aires. Not sure I understand the reference to cars - they, generally, don't overnight in car parks or need the same facilities.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It’ll turn into a tourist tax. Utterly ridiculous. Are they going to charge cars to tour Scotland? No, it’s discriminatory.
Probably not cars, no, but local councils (eg Highland) can now charge a tourist tax on overnight accommodation. As it stands, the discrimination is IN FAVOUR of motorhomes, campervans, etc.
Most countries charge a tourist tax.
And once again, it's not about the driving, it's about the overnighting.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
They can FRO. I’ll certainly NOT be paying them £40 a week for the privilege of driving in part of the UK.
I have no objection, however, to paying say £10-£15 for parking in an aire type area if it had facilities to dump water, a chemical waste dump and fresh water. Oh and bins.
If there were loads more “ aires “ then the waste dumping issue would vanish ( apart from the scumbags who do it everywhere anyway ).
This would also eventually have a knock on effect on reducing the ridiculous campsite prices.
It's the SCUMBAGES & FREELOADERS that have caused most of the problems up in Scotland and we can fully understand how the local people have reacted to them We were made very welcome in the early years of travelling around Scotland until these LOW LIFE spoiled it for everyone else

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
nope

Pretty much agree, though to be fair im happy to pay a tenner even if there's no other facilities or more depending on location.

It's the SCUMBAGES & FREELOADERS that have caused most of the problems up in Scotland and we can fully understand how the local people have reacted to them We were made very welcome in the early years of travelling around Scotland until these LOW LIFE spoiled it for everyone else

I've never had a problem in Scotland from any locals ever, so don't think those that park in free places and leave no trace are the issue.

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
I think you now fully well what I mean ie camper's that park up for the night dump there waste/ loo waste where ever they like Would you like it if someone came and emptied there loo in the drain or wasteland outside your house And they don't even bother to buy a paper or bottle of milk in the village as a thanks for allowing us to stay in there lovely surroundings That's what I mean

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
nope

Pretty much agree, though to be fair im happy to pay a tenner even if there's no other facilities or more depending on location.

I've never had a problem in Scotland from any locals ever, so don't think those that park in free places and leave no trace are the issue.
Totally agree but we all know who we are talking about

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back