Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
Since 2008
Just wondered how others had got on with buying new and discounts?
We have a budget of £70k and have been very actively shopping over last 3 weeks.
I have learnt that you need to start real low with offers.
Offer 2-3 thousand less they will certainly readily accept.
Offer 10 thousand less and after they have groaned a bit they normally come back with £8k discount
Is this normal?
are new Motorhomes not selling?
Clemmo

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Wildax has knocked £4k off all new stock already at dealers. I will not be buying anything

Gordon
They have a major upgrade coming, so I think they're keen to shift existing dealer stock. Much higher specification base van. Automatic only gearbox. Big infotainment screen. Front fog lights. New look front end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
The key thing is to put yourself in the position of the dealer and salesperson. They have sales targets they need to achieve and margin thresholds they can’t breach.

End of quarter, most sales organisations work with quarterly targets, gives you the best opportunity to achieve the most advantageous deal as the buyer. They are chasing their quarterly number, especially as the market is (has) changed to a buyers market, according to the consensus of opinion on MHF.

Be reasonable in what you’re asking for, have justification for the price you’re after, for example you need to do XYZ to make the vehicle work for you. If price and or a bargain is your biggest driver, negotiate the price first, then ask for some concessions in other areas second. So if you want some dealer concessions in on the deal, you at least know that they aren’t loading the price to pay for those.

If you’re mid month in Sept when you’re having this negotiation, walk away and let them come back to you. The nearer it gets to the end of the quarter the better the deal you may get.

They will not like you doing the above as you’re playing them at their game a little, but be bold and confident and it will give you the best opportunity to get the best deal.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We recently got about 20% off our hymer (albeit an overspecced stock van) based on list with the extras, also have seen southdowns advertising some decent discounts on stock vans.
It seems the market is turning, and this end of the season, I think they will now be keen to discuss discounts.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting thought…what defines a quality Motorhome?
We couldn't get a discount on our Carthago but did get a fixed price but nearly a two year wait. For our model still a one year wait no discounts and no price guarantee.

Hymer's a little bit more down market but I doubt you will get a discount on a factory order. The last Hymer we bought we got 20% on a factory order, those days have gone.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
More than 200 opinions/comments/experiences in this recent thread which may be of interest...........

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We couldn't get a discount on our Carthago but did get a fixed price but nearly a two year wait. For our model still a one year wait no discounts and no price guarantee.

Hymer's a little bit more down market but I doubt you will get a discount on a factory order. The last Hymer we bought we got 20% on a factory order, those days have gone.

Hey Lenny - It was quite a few years ago you were buying yours… I think the market is quite a bit different now..

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Well mine went up 10k from order to driving off the forecourt in 2022. Not often that has happened to me. So depreciation will at least be softened when I sell!

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Now in stock and I suspect some wriggle room!! Times are changing.

According to my tracker plug-in, that one was first listed by them on 07/03/2023

Price Changes
27/06/2024 to £127,266
08/02/2024 to £120,321
28/11/2023 to £127,336
23/07/2023 to £124,638

The price tracker can sometimes get confused - when the dealer re-uses an old advert on a new vehicle - and that could be the case here.

But it certainly seems to have stuck around!

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just wondered how others had got on with buying new and discounts?
We have a budget of £70k and have been very actively shopping over last 3 weeks.
I have learnt that you need to start real low with offers.
Offer 2-3 thousand less they will certainly readily accept.
Offer 10 thousand less and after they have groaned a bit they normally come back with £8k discount
Is this normal?
are new Motorhomes not selling?
Clemmo
Why are you bidding and not buying?
Seems a bit pointless, either you want it at the price you have bid or you don't actually want it at all.
What do you do when they accept your offer?

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Adria were offering the luxury pack (approx £5000) for free on new orders for the Twin series of PVC for a limited time. In general there seems to be lots of stock visible at dealers. I’m not convinced prices for new vehicles are coming down, they are just not rising as fast as they were a few years back.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Adria were offering the luxury pack (approx £5000) for free on new orders for the Twin series of PVC for a limited time. In general there seems to be lots of stock visible at dealers. I’m not convinced prices for new vehicles are coming down, they are just not rising as fast as they were a few years back.
The link I shared from lowdhams shows discounts applied to new vehicles some of which are around 10% and others less of a percentage.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1988
Plenty of new Carthago’s on Autotrader with sizeable discounts, up to £30k. Admittedly it’s mostly the top end models but certainty shows how sales have slowed.
I suspect it’s coming up to the time when the dealers will have pay the manufacturer/finance company for them.
Not an inconsiderable amount of money to find if they have a few models normally retailing around the £200 k ( and higher) price range.
Certainly a lot more motorhomes, of all makes, available than there has been for a few years.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AT Expedition 68
Best I’ve seen off a ‘normal’ price carthago is £9k on a display model. But that’s off a £153k c tourer so still expensive: Most don’t have any discount though. Used prices are still strong or at least the asking price is - c tourer at camper uk at £135k and been there a while but seems little appetite for discounting it

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think you're always better to offer less than you think they will take. You can always go back and offer a bit more if they say no. I think you're much more likely to get a discount on a stock vehicle than one to order and the price they will take will reduce as the summer goes by. We were at a dealers last weekend and they had a lot of discounts advertised and I suspect would take less. I did see some advertised on autotrader with the stipulation that the price was for no PX taken it suggests to me that theres some overstocking at the moment

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Last week a friend who makes his (good) living buying and selling MHs privately offered me a "golden" deal. He had knocked a seller, advertising a van for £20k, down to £10k and wanted me to cough up the money and store it: he was sure it would sell for at least £15k.

So the question is: where is that van now?

Gordon

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It's horse trading after all it's all about getting the best deal you can whether a buyer or seller!
This is very true and both buyer and seller need to feel its good deal, one Lotus I purchased the salesman (and he really wasn't an order taker) spent time with me he was knowledgeable and professional when we got to discussing figures we had a little bit of fun when we got close to closing the deal with a price I was happy with I said I know there is a little more in the deal can I ask ho much, he said its only £50 so I asked if I could have it to which he replied why not...the deal was then done and dusted, happy days....We both walked away with a win, taking the time to understand what margin may be in a vehicle or not makes a difference as each one comes with a different margin for the showroom.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Best I’ve seen off a ‘normal’ price carthago is £9k on a display model. But that’s off a £153k c tourer so still expensive: Most don’t have any discount though. Used prices are still strong or at least the asking price is - c tourer at camper uk at £135k and been there a while but seems little appetite for discounting it
How about the £13,300 off a new £80k Sunlight, not everyones cup of tea but maybe a good buy for someone, I honestly think the Market is softening on new MoHo's

Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 17.50.47.png

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back