New MH and off to Italy. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
No one's gonna nick your wheels. We've travelled Europe, inc. Italy, for several years. The only security we have is a decent alarm. Never had an issue and do a lot of off grid and city parking.

OP
OP
K
Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 592
look at a acsi card it may save you some £ on sites if you stay out of season.
Thanks Roy.
I’ve just joined and got the app as I’ll be over there until late November. Looks good and I’m sure they’ll get cheaper too. Thanks again.

OP
OP
K
Aug 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 592
No one's gonna nick your wheels. We've travelled Europe, inc. Italy, for several years. The only security we have is a decent alarm. Never had an issue and do a lot of off grid and city parking.
Hi.

That’s really reassuring and puts my mind at rest. All the security measures were getting a bit much, but advice taken and some extra measures have been done.

We are so looking forward to our 3 month adventure and just didn’t want anyone/thing to ruin it. I know a lot of measures are just a deterrent and some I don’t mind doing but your post has put that smile back on our faces.

Thank you.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
:welcome4:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2019
GU126HW
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a potential newbie but 44 years touring caravan.
Hi Everyone.

Just new to Motorhome Fun and already loving the site, the people, the banter and of course the very wise advice.

We’ve just bought our Bailey 952, 4 years old but new to us. Already, with advice from here, realise we need a few things if we want to keep it safe. Locking wheel nuts, steering lock, door locks and a few top tips. I guess we were just so excited we didn’t think of these things.

Hey Ho, not damping our spirits as we are planning to drive to Italy for a 2-3 month break. Trying hard to absorb all the info about tolls, vignettes, ULEZ etc and of course reading about fellow MH adventures.

Just wanted to tip our hats and of course any advice will be greatly appreciated as there is no time wasted on a recce.

Well off to start buying some safety gadgets followed closely by everything we require for Europe.

Can’t wait and loving this life already.
Welcome to like minded people and their pastime. Lots of good advice given on here. Would add caution on locking wheel nuts they can be a pig to remove particularly after a long period and/or a misplaced key socket. More likely to have a break in or vehicle stolen than your alloys nicked from what is a very heavy vehicle.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Understandable when people first start out they are a wee bit nervous but no need to buy every security gadget going .
Many tales of gassing etc , vast majority are nonsense

Jul 12, 2021
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 194
Exp
2000 in some capacity
Hi Neil.
Thank you for your interest.
Yes I have the gaslo system but not the euro adapters. Good point. 👍
I’ll order one now.
After a quick look, I think it is the M22 I need but not sure about the bayonet as well.
I’ll check the van before ordering.
Thank you.
Best buy the pack of 3 different ones. Only place we have been caught out was Slovenia

image.jpg

May 29, 2023
Brisbane QLD, Australia
Funster No
MH
Frankia Exclusiv 740
Also with the gas. The Italians won’t fill gas bottles at the service station unless you have an external fill point. I had to tell them my van ran on gas before they would fill. They figured out I was lying when we only took 40 litres. (2 x 11kg bottles)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Of course you know about the 90 day eu stay - heavy fine per day if you go over

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also with the gas. The Italians won’t fill gas bottles at the service station unless you have an external fill point. I had to tell them my van ran on gas before they would fill. They figured out I was lying when we only took 40 litres. (2 x 11kg bottles)
Had the same in Portugal.

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Yes take sensible precautions but not to the extent you spend all your time worrying!
Be naive to think there are not scum bags in Italy but my view is that there are more in the UK!
You are presumably going to “nice” areas not areas where you wouldn’t walk at night.

Jun 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Hi Everyone.

Just new to Motorhome Fun and already loving the site, the people, the banter and of course the very wise advice.

We’ve just bought our Bailey 952, 4 years old but new to us. Already, with advice from here, realise we need a few things if we want to keep it safe. Locking wheel nuts, steering lock, door locks and a few top tips. I guess we were just so excited we didn’t think of these things.

Hey Ho, not damping our spirits as we are planning to drive to Italy for a 2-3 month break. Trying hard to absorb all the info about tolls, vignettes, ULEZ etc and of course reading about fellow MH adventures.

Just wanted to tip our hats and of course any advice will be greatly appreciated as there is no time wasted on a recce.

Well off to start buying some safety gadgets followed closely by everything we require for Europe.

Can’t wait and loving this life already.
Don’t buy too much. 1. Europe a good place when you need, 2. Don’t buy here in the UK, and then find you don’t actually need certain item or items.
3. We all learn from experience.
My first Campervan I bought in 19993 eventually became motorhome(s), and now a Carthago Motorhome.
We own a House with a Garage which has has Motorhome items we don’t want or didn’t actually need.

MHF

Mar 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
MORELO 82LB
Mosquitos can be a problem so take plenty of protection we found the
motorhome campsites in Italy to be superb Rome our favourite place
Have a great trip.

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Welcome, A big adventure for a new to you vehicle, no problem with LPG when you have the adaptors and top up as and when available . Be aware if Pot Holes if you think our are bad in the UK just think big even on the Motorways especially down Southern Italy even worse in Sicily But very enjoyable motoring just be aware of overhanging 1st floor balcony's in small towns or you may remove someone's Washing!
Have a great trip

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Don't think about it too much, JUST BOOK & GO GO GO.....! ENJOY your travelling to Italy, don't rush it, you don't have to take the fast motorways through France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland very pretty. Just Google or ask things enroute, you'll learn quickly!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back