New Malibu PVC on Mercedes Sprinter Base (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It says it's got a big rear garage but isn't it in exactly the wrong place to put much weight

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Struth, £104k. That's a very high spec. I do like the LE K. I've got a DB K on order, coming in at £91k and i thought that was a high spec. I want to 180bhp engine too. Very interesting about the manual gearbox. I'm a little concerned that mine will eventually be a series 10 with the new 8 speed gearbox. Seems like everyone loved the old ZF 9 speed. It could be the new box is just as good. I didn't know you could spec the manual box with the 180 bhp engine.
I used too shout at the automatic gearbox in the Daf CF tractor unit as I drove off the Botely roundabout on the A420. Wretched thing used to block change from 8th to 10th then struggle up the hill. I'm not a big fan of the automatic gearbox. (I could probably live with Porsche's PDK in a new 911 though😁). Maybe it's an good idea to change the order. Maybe I'll get a chassis number sooner as most people want the auto.
Yes I was over at their Headquarters in Germany just having a nosey about, not really intending to buy anything much, I was in my 2020 Malibu 640 LE which was fairly highly specced too and a great wee van but when I saw the new for 2024 GT Skyview LE K they had in the showroom and being a show model it was fully loaded with every extra i decided to buy one, but I think from memory it was auto on the 150bhp or 160bhp so I told them I wanted to buy a RHD manual 180bhp with everything that was on that show model and they said no problem and that was that, but yes as you say I think the manual are easier to get because that's what they manufacture most, but good luck with whatever you decide to do 🙂

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Yes I was over at their Headquarters in Germany just having a nosey about, not really intending to buy anything much, I was in my 2020 Malibu 640 LE which was fairly highly specced too and a great wee van but when I saw the new for 2024 GT Skyview LE K they had in the showroom and being a show model it was fully loaded with every extra i decided to buy one, but I think from memory it was auto on the 150bhp or 160bhp so I told them I wanted to buy a RHD manual 180bhp with everything that was on that show model and they said no problem and that was that, but yes as you say I think the manual are easier to get because that's what they manufacture most, but good luck with whatever you decide to do 🙂
Seems like I've had two curve balls come my way in less than a week. The first one being, do I want to upgrade to the new Malibu Genius. A big juicy German carrot just dangling there in front of me. The second, should I change to the manual gearbox.
Just when I think I'm where I need to be, I'm nowhere near 🤣. I'm thinking that Genius option is another £20k at least. The Fiat is still a good van in my opinion. Mmmmm, plenty to think about this weekend.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I took a manual Ducato for a test drive and didn’t like the manual box much. In contrast the 9 speed auto mated to the new 140 engine is a real pleasure to drive.

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
I could save £4000 with the manual option and buy the flagship Audiolab amp and cd player without any guilt. Another juicy carrot to think about.😆
I think I might take a trip to the dealership next week and ask about my options and whether changing my gearbox would push me to the back of the queue or probably make it easier to gain a van. I might create a post to ask other people about the pro and cons of the Ducato 6 speed manual.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I could save £4000 with the manual option and buy the flagship Audiolab amp and cd player without any guilt. Another juicy carrot to think about.😆
You could spend it on the auto and listen to the engine seamlessly and efficiently slipping through the gears. This would leave your left foot and hand free to tap out the rhythm 🎶 from your cheaper music source. 😀

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
£125000 and no solar panels 🙂
I'd want to put a lot of Victron on it. Looks reasonable it would accept three 175w panels on the roof. Then a Vanbitz raptor. Thats getting very close to another £10k on top. Minus that Go European self sufficient system. It would probably bring the Genius up to £133k. Which is £33k more than Ducato D BK, currently on back order, also fitted with the after market stuff.

I've decided to stay with the Ducato order as I feel the Genius is too pricey.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
So if you want to use the garage space fully there’s no where to put your bikes, as clearly you won’t be able to fix a bike rack to that door. Just can’t see the cost benefit to getting a 6.4m Ducato.

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
So if you want to use the garage space fully there’s no where to put your bikes, as clearly you won’t be able to fix a bike rack to that door. Just can’t see the cost benefit to getting a 6.4m Ducato.
There's an internal rack system but that will take a great deal of the garage. Look at the link and switch the subtitles on. It shows the external bike rack option within the first two minutes of the video.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
There's an internal rack system but that will take a great deal of the garage. Look at the link and switch the subtitles on. It shows the external bike rack option within the first two minutes of the video.

Did see that, but you will lose most of your garage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back