New Laptop Required (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
My 12 tear old Fujitsu has just told me its time for a new one (down to one functioning UsB port. Its main use is run motoring applications such as Multiecuscan, vcds and picoscope ie windows OS. It is also used in MH to view/store Photos with external USB drive. I may add photoshop elements (currently on a standalone Desktop, majority of work is done on a Linux box). With the way it gets bounced around/ dropped a semi rugidised version or non cheap is probably appropriate. I would preffer something that will last more than 2 years, whats to avoid and what will survive?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I sat on my HP last year, it was not happy but was insured. The insurance said not repairable and sent me a new Dell laptop of same value. I had not realised that a laptop could be so much better than my £800 HP, but my Dell is. Their support too has allowed me to cope with my ageing ignorance.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I had my last HP for 6 years and died mainly out of being dropped to many times. It ran as fast as it did initially.

So when I replaced it I got another. I actually got a slightly lower spec one as I really don't need the fastest processor for standard web browsing, streaming and photo managing. Still very happy with HP.

Got a 17 inch HP Pavilion for about £300 I seem to remember. I use it for watching 'TV' in the motorhome.

Last edited:

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Have bought cheap and expensive, no real difference in useful performance and my present Lenovo has been just as good at about £200 as others at 3 times the price.

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
I can thoroughly recommend the Gadget Centre based in Plymouth. Repurposed and refurbished big name laptops at very good prices. Excellent customer service and 60 day no quibble returns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Just in case you had a random thought…..

After years of Windows, i finally caved in and changed to a Macbook Air

Its very very different :oops:
and doesn't run Multiecuscan or VCDS the only reason for not using my Linux Box

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have stuck with Dell for years now. Never had a bad one and the warranty support on the few times I needed it was on point.
Worth checking out their outlet site. They do occasionally have great deals. Most of the time fairly mediocre deals but when a good one comes up they are really good.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I bought a hp pavilion Last year 8 Meg ram 500 gig ssd storage , its fast but it has win 11 and I dislike it much prefer win 10 , loaded mes OK,,look at currys in the new year sales for a deal

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Have bought cheap and expensive, no real difference in useful performance and my present Lenovo has been just as good at about £200 as others at 3 times the price.
Lenovo is IBM ...👍

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Lenovo is IBM ...👍
Was.

I'd suggest a workhorse business laptop. They tend to be a little bit more expensive and a little bit thicker. Normally black. Normally hard as nails, despite the gouged lids and multiple coffee spills. E.g. Dell Latitude, although there are lots from Lenovo and HP. I had a Latitude that lasted 3 years of cycle commuting in a less than waterproof bag. Used on the factory floor frequently. Covered in dust and angle grinder grit. Dropped a few times after being balanced in inappropriate places. Kept on trucking. My only complaint was the screen was low res and poor contrast.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I got my refurbished Dell from Amazon Warehouse for £99 a couple of years ago. Does what I need it to do. My main laptop is the MacBook Air but needed a Windows laptop for a couple of programmes I use that don't work on Macs.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I recently got a new one.
Took me 5 minutes to decide which one
Went onto amazon and there was one from 950 quid down to 230 quid.
I only use it for surfing and if I did need to look to find out what its capabilities were that i didnt need I wouldnt know whether I needed them or not.
With my limited knowledge I would be buying on a Black Friday in 2 weeks time unless you see a deal like I got

Nov 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
wildax constellation
Just in case you had a random thought…..

After years of Windows, i finally caved in and changed to a Macbook Air

Its very very different :oops:
I used thinkpads for years for work - along with the odd dell all of which continue to work - slowly

In parallel, I have had MacBooks and their predecessors for a couple of decades again all still working - home mainly but a bit of work use for software I couldn’t port to win.

I generally use VMs ( parallels ) on the macs with win 7-11. Mananged to port most of my work engineering apps to the VMs. Only issue is if you need hardware talking to the VMs - difficult so I keep a thinkpad for that.

Just got the cheapest MacBook M1 Air at 890 quid and run an arm win11 on VM along with many larger apps on big external ssds. Mainly running photo editing stuff. Very very fast but that is compared to fast intel i7s from 2014-2016.

Acknowledge that is far from everyone’s cup of tea but it works for me.

I did have a Linux ( Ubuntu ) dist on a VM but rarely used it

I would never go back to a win laptop though my wife’s surface book is lasting better than most of the consumer grade machines she has had.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hasn’t Wissel got a Mac for sale classifieds for £350

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
value for money, robustness and quality are the usual factors in people choosing a new laptop. I have responsibility for specifying the IT choices for an area of one of the big clubs. After research and personal experience I chose Asus Vivobooks for the officers that need them. Easy to maintain, survive being used in caravans and very cost effective at below £500. For that you get an i5 processor 8 or 16gb RAM, 512GB to 1TB fast SSD, with a clear screen and good size keyboard. Runs videos easily and everything else you usually throw at them. Although if you were editing video I would spend more

Budget ones are fine, but flimsy, premium ones are way OTT unless you play video games

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back