LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just watched a MMM / CAMC review of a new van about to go into production - the Chausson X550.

Peter Vaughan, the reviewer, gets very excited about it because it's something so different.

Can't disagree with that and, as usual from Chausson, lots of innovative and impressive features.

But frankly it's not for me - far too many contra-indications. No windows down the UK off-side (apart from the door) is a real no-no for me; and I suspect many others too. :( And far too much faffing about with moving cushions around and bed building, not to mention the exterior colour scheme. :rolleyes:

Apparently, will start at about Ā£58k. :unsure:

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
We watched the vid with interest as this was going to be one of the vans we were potentially thinking of holding back for until it launched.

Liked the bathroom / shower room and wardrode = seemed really well thought out

As said above though, far too much faffing about with the bed / seating area

Some nice touches to the van and I even quite liked to look of it - But they will improve on it in the coming years so not one for us as yet

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Some interesting innovations, I liked the magnetic seats if you had to move the bed arrangement. The wife just made me watch the vid but its not for us in my opinion, as nowhere for bikes motorbike, little gas, short on water carrying, however I can see persons who dont bike seeing some real positives about it

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Just seen a Chausson with two single drop down beds above the facing long seats. The beds individually drop electrically to a low step on height. This leaves an awful lot of usable van in only 7metres. Not sure about the build quality though.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Looked at it . No window in off side wall .
And looks like it can only hold a 6kg gas bottle . Outside storage looks a little tight as well. Maybe next version will improve on this.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just seen a Chausson with two single drop down beds above the facing long seats. The beds individually drop electrically to a low step on height. This leaves an awful lot of usable van in only 7metres. Not sure about the build quality though.
I thought only one bed dropped down with the other made up from the electric table and sofas.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's OK for what it is but not for me, I don't see the problem with no windows on the RHS most vans don't have windows on that side apart from small one in the bedroom.
I can never see the point of wasting space on the hob with an electric ring I know a lot of vans have its just pointless.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's similar in layout to a lot of 6m motorhomes, so nothing special there. Except they've squeezed it into the same width as a van. There aren't any vans that offer that much living space.

The downside is the storage is pretty poor. I think I'd prefer less travel seats and forget the idea of the 2nd bed to get a bit more storage. Maybe accessible from an outside locker? I've no idea how you'd get 4 people living in it.

The other new thing is that it's styled to appeal to the younger market. But if you're into mountainbiking and skiing, you probably need more space to stash your stuff.

I like it. We'll see if other brands copy it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Our van is very similar on width and layout, but with 2 side windows, plenty storage and doesn't look like a horse box. šŸ˜Š Oh and it wasn't Ā£58k either, what's not to like šŸ˜

View attachment 511199
I think a lot of people see the white box motorhome look and see, fuddy-duddy. But big black stripes is cool. So a lot of it is just styling. But yeah, yours is a pretty similar package.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Just watched a MMM / CAMC review of a new van about to go into production - the Chausson X550.

Peter Vaughan, the reviewer, gets very excited about it because it's something so different.

Can't disagree with that and, as usual from Chausson, lots of innovative and impressive features.

But frankly it's not for me - far too many contra-indications. No windows down the UK off-side (apart from the door) is a real no-no for me; and I suspect many others too. :( And far too much faffing about with moving cushions around and bed building, not to mention the exterior colour scheme. :rolleyes:

Apparently, will start at about Ā£58k. :unsure:

It looks cool.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We have a Chausson Best of 10 from 2014. I'd lay odds that if ours was standing next to that new one anybody who looked round them both would agree that the Flash 10 is more useful, brighter and more sensible than the new jobbie !!!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We have a Chausson Best of 10 from 2014. I'd lay odds that if ours was standing next to that new one anybody who looked round them both would agree that the Flash 10 is more useful, brighter and more sensible than the new jobbie !!!
Since when has sensible ever been cool?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Since when has sensible ever been cool?

The very first time you have an argument with your partner in the MH about making the bed up or putting it away. I think that new vehicle will be a divorce lawyer's new best friend !

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The very first time you have an argument with your partner in the MH about making the bed up or putting it away. I think that new vehicle will be a divorce lawyer's new best friend !
I suspect most X550 buyers will be new to the moho game. And there are many vans (especially British ones) where you have to make the bed up every night...

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
I suspect most X550 buyers will be new to the moho game. And there are many vans (especially British ones) where you have to make the bed up every night...
Yes, we make up either a jigsaw bed or the overhead bed, depending on which we are using, each night and put it away every day. But looking at the X550, it's the MH equivalent of the caravan awning, you know, the "divorce in a bag".

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yes, we make up either a jigsaw bed or the overhead bed, depending on which we are using, each night and put it away every day.
Yes, the lower bed looks pretty awful, particularly if it was in travel seat mode. But for two people, they'll use the drop-down bed, which you can probably leave made-up and just lower when needed.

MH equivalent of the caravan awning, you know, the "divorce in a bag".
Lol. When we used to go camping, we'd always argue whilst setting up the tent. Then we'd sit down in our camp chairs and wait for the next couple to arrive to watch them argue. It's part of the sport of tenting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In comparison however your Chausson is chubby :giggle: at 2.30m compared to 2.10m, 20cm does make quite a bit of difference as we've found hence why we've got our Carthago which is only 2.12m wide.šŸ˜

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Definitely two
I think we're talking at crossed purposes :giggle: ... I meant the X550 beds as per the thread title (ie 2 doubles), not the ones in the longer Chausson.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
In comparison however your Chausson is chubby :giggle: at 2.30m compared to 2.10m, 20cm does make quite a bit of difference as we've found hence why we've got our Carthago which is only 2.12m wide.šŸ˜

The width can be heart-stopping in some occasions and if building one myself I'd obviously be on the PVC van width.

You know, wouldn't it be a great idea for a MH manufacturer to sell just an empty shell on a chassis, I'm talking coachbuilt for ease. Where it comes in various lengths, with a square section and you can specify where you want the doors and windows and everything else you fit yourself.

Wishful thinking of course.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The width can be heart-stopping in some occasions
Yup, we previously had a 7.23m x 2.2m Rimor and changed to a 6m x 2.3m Chausson which was the 'fattest' one we'd ever had and despite going down considerably in length the extra 10cm width of the Chausson cause us more issues than the length of the Rimor ever did. On our May Welsh holiday and our current Scottish one we've had quite a few occasions where had we had a wider MH we'd have had difficulty in passing vehicles on narrow two-way roads, or on single track ones with passing places, and in some instanced couldn't have done so at all.

I just hope that the 'trend' for wider MHs ends soon as 2.35m width is more common with some I believe being 2.4m wide which is madness. I hope that more 'sensible' width ones become available as this would not only help with driving etc but also on weight as when the width increases so does the basic build weight thus adding to the increasing difficulty of buying ones with usable payloads.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
What I like about this van and have never understood why it's not been more widely adopted, is that its effectively a PVC built as a C class. This must be cheaper to build/convert than a PVC and eliminates the sliding door. But then I've never understood why converters don't swap the sliding door for a standard habitation door.

This van, like our Chausson 640, is really a 2 person van. If I had the X550 I'd get a window fitted, much more useful.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The mirrors are standard van mirrors on ours too šŸ‘Œ ten a penny šŸ¤” not that I've ever hit them on anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back