Never give up (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Last October I was touring in Greece when three strings on my hab door flyscreen broke, meaning that the door would not close properly. I had extended warranty through MB&G and, seeing this as a failure of the door, I put in a claim to have the door replaced. The cost for the door was over £800, including £41 delivery from Adria, and over £100 in labour to fit. MB&G turned me down claiming this was excluded under the exception of
Excluding': "The adjustment of window catches, stays and associated fittings. Adjustment of blinds, hinges, catches, stays and doors"
I replied to them asking that they revisit their decision as, in my opinion, there was no adjustment that could be made and it was, in fact, broken. They did I not reply to my email.
I decided to go ahead with the replacement anyway, but I also complained to the Financial Ombudsman, stating that their stance was unreasonable, and sent them pictures and the correspondence that I had with MB&G. The Financial Ombudsman’s investigator agreed with me and asked MB&G to comment. MB&G agreed with the findings of the investigator and have agreed to pay my claim! I received an email from them today asking for the receipts and they will pay for the door in full and the labour at £45+VAT, which is the standard under their Ts & Cs.
Using the Financial Ombudsman is really easy, even if it takes over three months to get an investigator on the case, but you have nothing to loose and it costs nothing.
I am currently getting the receipts together and looking forward to having more than £900 put back in my account.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Last October I was touring in Greece when three strings on my hab door flyscreen broke, meaning that the door would not close properly. I had extended warranty through MB&G and, seeing this as a failure of the door, I put in a claim to have the door replaced. The cost for the door was over £800, including £41 delivery from Adria, and over £100 in labour to fit. MB&G turned me down claiming this was excluded under the exception of

I replied to them asking that they revisit their decision as, in my opinion, there was no adjustment that could be made and it was, in fact, broken. They did I not reply to my email.
I decided to go ahead with the replacement anyway, but I also complained to the Financial Ombudsman, stating that their stance was unreasonable, and sent them pictures and the correspondence that I had with MB&G. The Financial Ombudsman’s investigator agreed with me and asked MB&G to comment. MB&G agreed with the findings of the investigator and have agreed to pay my claim! I received an email from them today asking for the receipts and they will pay for the door in full and the labour at £45+VAT, which is the standard under their Ts & Cs.
Using the Financial Ombudsman is really easy, even if it takes over three months to get an investigator on the case, but you have nothing to loose and it costs nothing.
I am currently getting the receipts together and looking forward to having more than £900 put back in my account.
I am pleased you were successful. This information is timely as my plastic "glass" cover on my habitation door has started to come away. Brownhills looked at it yesterday and temporarily repaired it but advised a new Hab door was needed but that my body shell warranty would not cover it. They added that a new door would have to be realigned so that water would not get in.

I may be on a slightly different issue than you but I may have to consider your approach. Cheers Smudger55

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Good for you👍never roll over for these firms , if more people did what you have it would be a lot easier for all to have things repaired at no cost!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
and the labour at £45+VAT, which is the standard under their Ts & Cs.

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Where on earth can you find someone to work for £45 an hour? It's no wonder dealers don't like doing warranty work for manufacturers if that's what they are receiving.

OP
OP
Colin McCourt
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Where on earth can you find someone to work for £45 an hour? It's no wonder dealers don't like doing warranty work for manufacturers if that's what they are receiving.
They don’t. You have to pay the difference.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
They don’t. You have to pay the difference.

Right - I understand that in your situation. I really meant regarding general warranty work completed by a dealer where you don't pay anything. With my Burstner you generally have to go to the place you bought it to get any warranty work done (even on the 10 year damp warranty) as most other dealers don't want to deal with you due to the low rates they get paid to them by the manufacturer. If £45 is indicative of what they receive it's no wonder dealers refuse to take you on unless you bought from them.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Right - I understand that in your situation. I really meant regarding general warranty work completed by a dealer where you don't pay anything. With my Burstner you generally have to go to the place you bought it to get any warranty work done (even on the 10 year damp warranty) as most other dealers don't want to deal with you due to the low rates they get paid to them by the manufacturer. If £45 is indicative of what they receive it's no wonder dealers refuse to take you on unless you bought from them.
Of course the flip side is if they paid a decent rate the motorhome would have to cost a lot more to cover warranty claims I don't think the manufacturers make huge profits

OP
OP
Colin McCourt
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
When I needed warranty work carried out on mine 5 yrs ago Adria were paying £29/hr so dealers add a warranty bucket into the price of each motorhome. They will make on some but loose on others hoping to break even at worst.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
Some years ago I had a Mortgage Endowment which I claimed was miss sold and challenged the broker who refuted my claim, I then put my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman who also rejected my claim, I then rejected their decision at which time they did accept my claim and ordered that the claim be settled which was over £40k.

Never give up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back