Negotiating for a Motorhome. How to Haggle (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thank you, yes they only have 3 seat belts someone will get a genuine van that's for sure, there is even a vidio of it on you tube after MMM did a feature on it for one of their magazines. It's sad we can't use it with Eddie unable to drive now but it's never let us down, going for it's MOT tomorrow.
Hope that all goes well, as I am sure it will.
Good luck 😊👍

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have had a couple this week where I have walked away.
One bloke wanted to buy a Chausson I have. It has an Island bed and is an automatic so prime stock. He had a VW no doubt converted by yet another random Covid converter! I actually said I hate VW's, I am swamped with them and thats the price, feel free to take it away. In fairness he did. I sold the Chausson for full money later on to another customer who had been looking for that particular van.
I had another bloke that wanted £10,000 off a £60,000 van. When I finished laughing, I said I would chuck in the cost of the Tax if he wanted a deal, he bought.
Its swings and roundabouts and like Jim said, its what both parties are comfortable with.
Bearing in mind if I sell a van, I have to pay VAT on the profit, pay commission, pay for prep, warranties, gas, electric etc etc. There needs to be sensible money in a van.

Bit of advice, don't ring me and say you have been looking the actual second hand rare as rocking horse turd van and that you tried to buy it last year and if you ever found it again you will buy it. I don't need to do any discount once you have told me this!

With regards to negotiations, once I finish talking and look into your eyes, I can hold that stare forever, you could be sat there squirming into nervous submission, whilst I am currently thinking about what I have for dinner! Everytime I do it, I get a little bit better!

Please note, the last paragraph is a joke before I get lynched!!!
Simon, can you advise, what do you look for when considering taking in a 2nd hand van? What type of van will you not touch, condition, self conversions with loads of 3x2 timber cladding 🤪

Golfingmuso

Free Member
Dec 11, 2022
Altura, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Since 2005
We are looking to change our van this year, hopefully, and are looking at Hymers with drop down bed.
Having googled B584 models , unfortunately I think they only have 3 travelling seats with belts, whereas we need 4.
Shame, as the age and make, plus the longevity if ownership are 2 big ticks in my buying requirements, and probably price range.
I wish you well in your sale.
Someone will no doubt get a cracker of a van. 😊
My Hymer B584 is for sale ( Check out - Advert in the Sales category on this site) You could always get another 4th seat belt fitted on the bench seat area. Just a suggestion. 👍😊😎

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
You just have to accept that the seller set the price knowing somebody was going to offer less so now the only issue is "how low will they go"
really? always?
Well, the last Motorhome I BOUGHT I paid what the seller asked.
And the last Campervan I SOLD, the buyer paid me MORE than I asked as they thought it worth more.

I guess the term "YMMV" may be applicable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
really? always?
Well, the last Motorhome I BOUGHT I paid what the seller asked.
And the last Campervan I SOLD, the buyer paid me MORE than I asked as they thought it worth more.

I guess the term "YMMV" may be applicable.
Are you saying that when you sold yours you weren't expecting somebody to make an offer that was actually lower, I accept though that the seller might not be up for negotiations.

And I have learnt something new ;) YMMV.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Are you saying that when you sold yours you weren't expecting somebody to make an offer that was actually lower, I accept though that the seller might not be up for negotiations.

And I have learnt something new ;) YMMV.
Yes I was expecting someone to make an offer lower than price asked. Of course I was. But accepting a lower offer is a very different matter.
And in fact I messaged the person who made a low offer, telling me I was asking too much, that the camper was no longer for sale, having sold for what I asked. (and I didn't ask for more than I advertised more, the seller just transferred extra on the point of sale saying how pleased they were).

I know it seems amazing to some, but the concept of actually putting the price on something that you want to get up front is hardly unusual. When you do your food shopping, do you negotiate on the cans of beans?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I imagine that one will only get the price when the dealer has done some research on what MH we have, where we live etc'

It sounds a bit like antique dealers who have a tag on items in their own code and only state their price when they have looked you up and down for a few minutes.
Yes that is a problem here with many things not being priced. On the occasions I ask ,the slightest hesitation, a long look at me before responding & I walk. The wife will not even entertain asking prices even when food shopping in markets.
its what both parties are comfortable with.
I struggle to be comfortable paying anything for anything so will never be happy.
(cash, so no finance commission either. Incl VAT
Cash here & you pay more, especially vans. I was only looking at some at the weekend where if you do not want finance the price is 2,3 4k more for cash. I don't even waste any time on those or any without prices.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Cash here & you pay more, especially vans. I was only looking at some at the weekend where if you do not want finance the price is 2,3 4k more for cash. I don't even waste any time on those or any without prices.
Not IME - the vans (factory build) and car (stock) were hugely discounted and no mention of finance - they seemed to just want to get the deal done and move on! The discounted price was offered fairly quickly and "thats it" - and prior research showed I could have got the first van £300 cheaper "up north" - but local dealer was worth the +£300 - and I think only one person I know got >44.5% off the fiat at roughly the same time (45% iirc).

I have heard certain dealers/garages only want finance due to commission - and I would've taken finance out and cancelled (as permitted) to get the discount but wasn't needed.

Have to admit, I was surprised each time

Who knows. Different dealers? Different sales model? Different commission/bonus rates?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I was expecting someone to make an offer lower than price asked. Of course I was. But accepting a lower offer is a very different matter.
And in fact I messaged the person who made a low offer, telling me I was asking too much, that the camper was no longer for sale, having sold for what I asked. (and I didn't ask for more than I advertised more, the seller just transferred extra on the point of sale saying how pleased they were).

I know it seems amazing to some, but the concept of actually putting the price on something that you want to get up front is hardly unusual. When you do your food shopping, do you negotiate on the cans of beans?
Oh yes I understand the concept of fixed prices, for example Beans😃 but I also know that when we ordered our new van at Düsseldorf there was a accepted discount structure depending what you ordered, it would have been silly not to ask and chuck close to £30k away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know it seems amazing to some, but the concept of actually putting the price on something that you want to get up front is hardly unusual.

But unless you are prepared to move south a little you'll meet people like me who won't buy on principle. I understand pricing in the general area is sensible, but putting exactly what you want is not a good idea. It works for beans but not for bigger stuff. If people are spending a lot, they want a bit of deal.

If someone pays me what I ask and then a bit more I'd be counting my fingers then kicking myself for under-pricing and selling too cheap.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
But unless you are prepared to move south a little you'll meet people like me who won't buy on principle. I understand pricing in the general area is sensible, but putting exactly what you want is not a good idea. It works for beans but not for bigger stuff. If people are spending a lot, they want a bit of deal.

If someone pays me what I ask and then a bit more I'd be counting my fingers then kicking myself for under-pricing and selling too cheap.
Or could it be that there are just still some nice people out there Jim ? 🤭

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail

guess you will never buy anything from me then :)
But I WILL remember that if I see an advert from you that you expect to get less than you are asking. Thanks for the tip ;)

PS. I think I recall someone saying they expect to always pay less than is asked. So I offered him a deal.... took a penny off :D . Didn't hear from him again.

PPS. Is it actually a deal if people alway just add on say £1,000 over the true value just so they can knock off £1,000? I don't call that a deal, that is just artificial. It is like the RVs in the US where they quote MRSPs but at the same time post a discount price with 30-40% off. Do people really think they are getting 40% off?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back