Negotiating for a Motorhome. How to Haggle (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The latest newby article about haggling has just been posted, you can discuss it here. How good are you at haggling or are you a walk over?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You just have to accept that the seller set the price knowing somebody was going to offer less so now the only issue is "how low will they go"

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I've bought 3 motorhomes and impatiently waiting for the next.The most important thing is to buy the right vehicle for your needs from a decent dealer and I'd happily pay a premium for that but other than that, look at it as a commodity and not an emotional purchase.As soon as the seller knows you are buying with your heart then you are compromised.It is unlikely to be unique so let the dealer know that. Similarly I buy all my cars via broker or reverse auction, take their finance if there is additional discount on offer and then pay it off with 14 days with cash or a cheaper source of credit.

Jan 17, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Phoenix 8800
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Jim for another thought provoking article. We're thinking of putting our 2014 Phoenix Liner on the market this year so the issue for us is the other side of the deal. How do you set a reasonable asking price in the first place, particularly when there are very few comparable vehicles out there? Looking at the price lists for an equivalent new van with all the extras we had fitted, the cost is now Ā£270,000. Phoenix has recently built a second factory to keep up with orders so that's a sign that there is a demand for this type of vehicle. Obviously, we want to get what the van is worth, but how do you go about setting a reasonable price?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I'm on the other side of the coin as well, our Hymer 584 (2000) that we have owned and loved for the past 18 years will have to go up for sale owing to health issues. It's in for a MOT next week then a bit of emptying and it will go in the classified but I'm sure it will be sold with heart as well as head, so much good Karma with our van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The market has changed a bit when it comes to new vans. We have bought three new vans and always got good discounts but for the new one on order we are having to pay full list, the van we wanted no discounts from anyone. But on the bright side that was offset by a really good trade in price a lot more than expected so we are happy with the deal.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we bought our previous van we knew there were two for sale near enough for us to go and look.

One dealer was pleasant, made time for us and generally gave us a good feeling. The second was just the opposite and even answered his phone whilst we were talking to him and preceded to sort his social life instead of finding the keys and showing us the van!!!! Guess which one we bought?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have recently gone on a website of a higher-end dealer and of 50 MHs for sale at least 50% said 'Price on application'

I imagine that one will only get the price when the dealer has done some research on what MH we have, where we live etc'

It sounds a bit like antique dealers who have a tag on items in their own code and only state their price when they have looked you up and down for a few minutes.

Maybe the comparison between MH dealers and Antique dealers is apt. Anyone seen Lovejoy in person recently?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have recently gone on a website of a higher-end dealer and of 50 MHs for sale at least 50% said 'Price on application'

I imagine that one will only get the price when the dealer has done some research on what MH we have, where we live etc'

It sounds a bit like antique dealers who have a tag on items in their own code and only state their price when they have looked you up and down for a few minutes.

Maybe the comparison between MH dealers and Antique dealers is apt. Anyone seen Lovejoy in person recently?
Are you sure it's not that the vans POA are not physically with them so they don't know the full spec and the price they are paying, I have never felt that we were being judged and that the price was depending on what watch I was wearing at the time ;)

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I have had a couple this week where I have walked away.
One bloke wanted to buy a Chausson I have. It has an Island bed and is an automatic so prime stock. He had a VW no doubt converted by yet another random Covid converter! I actually said I hate VW's, I am swamped with them and thats the price, feel free to take it away. In fairness he did. I sold the Chausson for full money later on to another customer who had been looking for that particular van.
I had another bloke that wanted Ā£10,000 off a Ā£60,000 van. When I finished laughing, I said I would chuck in the cost of the Tax if he wanted a deal, he bought.
Its swings and roundabouts and like Jim said, its what both parties are comfortable with.
Bearing in mind if I sell a van, I have to pay VAT on the profit, pay commission, pay for prep, warranties, gas, electric etc etc. There needs to be sensible money in a van.

Bit of advice, don't ring me and say you have been looking the actual second hand rare as rocking horse turd van and that you tried to buy it last year and if you ever found it again you will buy it. I don't need to do any discount once you have told me this!

With regards to negotiations, once I finish talking and look into your eyes, I can hold that stare forever, you could be sat there squirming into nervous submission, whilst I am currently thinking about what I have for dinner! Everytime I do it, I get a little bit better!

Please note, the last paragraph is a joke before I get lynched!!!

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Are there any discounts to be had these days when buying new? Last year it was nigh on impossible to get anything off a new car, still a struggle recently but there does seem to be a little movement compared to this time last year.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Are you sure it's not that the vans POA are not physically with them so they don't know the full spec and the price they are paying, I have never felt that we were being judged and that the price was depending on what watch I was wearing at the time ;)

Martin

I thought that also, but most of them say 'In stock and available' with some specs in the advert.

I will PM you the dealer.

Geoff

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
2016, new NV200 base (with factory options, so built for us, not stock) van, list price Ā£16999 - paid Ā£10,300 (both +vat)

2020 New ducato sportivo base (with factory options, so built for us, not stock) van from Fiat with lots of options, list price Ā£44k.
Paid <Ā£25k - 44.5% discount off list off base van AND all options, including tyres, heated seats, leather etc.
(cash, so no finance commission either. Incl VAT)
Made it cheaper than less spec'd pugs as could only get 37% off (IIRC)

So the motorhome dealers who sell fiat options at list price are taking the **** - as they'd get similar discounts off options!

2017, New car (stock), Fiesta ST line red edition - <Ā£12k new - think the base models were Ā£17k at the time

2021, 1yo motorbike (private), showroom condition, Ā£5900 - which is cheaper than 2-3yo ones even today!

There are bargains to be had if you don't get overly excited and buy with emotion.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I have had a couple this week where I have walked away.
One bloke wanted to buy a Chausson I have. It has an Island bed and is an automatic so prime stock. He had a VW no doubt converted by yet another random Covid converter! I actually said I hate VW's, I am swamped with them and thats the price, feel free to take it away. In fairness he did. I sold the Chausson for full money later on to another customer who had been looking for that particular van.
I had another bloke that wanted Ā£10,000 off a Ā£60,000 van. When I finished laughing, I said I would chuck in the cost of the Tax if he wanted a deal, he bought.
Its swings and roundabouts and like Jim said, its what both parties are comfortable with.
Bearing in mind if I sell a van, I have to pay VAT on the profit, pay commission, pay for prep, warranties, gas, electric etc etc. There needs to be sensible money in a van.

Bit of advice, don't ring me and say you have been looking the actual second hand rare as rocking horse turd van and that you tried to buy it last year and if you ever found it again you will buy it. I don't need to do any discount once you have told me this!

With regards to negotiations, once I finish talking and look into your eyes, I can hold that stare forever, you could be sat there squirming into nervous submission, whilst I am currently thinking about what I have for dinner! Everytime I do it, I get a little bit better!

Please note, the last paragraph is a joke before I get lynched!!!
Never mind the staring malarkey, if you remotely try to take the p!ss in a part ex / negotiation situation I will walk away .
I want a decent price you need to make a decent profit , if these two balance ā€¦ā€¦ result happiness , for both of us .
Itā€™s quite a simple equation šŸ’”

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
It's worth nothing that some think a purchase is not emotional.
It's always a transaction unencumbered with heart.
A little research will reveal we always make any purchase emotionally.
We just think we do it factually.
Does not change anything really but it's worth just understanding this.
If you think for a moment that of you make a mistake your ego very rapidly repairs your self esteem.
When you buy anything it does the same.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
If you think for a moment that of you make a mistake your ego very rapidly repairs your self esteem.
True, each purchase is emotional, but you can define acceptable boundaries and walk way and reconsider later. Letting emotions take over judgement is dangerous (or brilliant, depending if you are the salesman or punter!)

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Agreed but my overriding emotion in this transaction is fairness and balance . I have told more than one trade seller ā€œ I will tolerate many things in this dance but DO NOT take the p!ss ā€œ

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin

I thought that also, but most of them say 'In stock and available' with some specs in the advert.

I will PM you the dealer.

Geoff
Maybe they just haven't updated the website fully, I wouldn't read too much into it though.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I generally set myself a price to change.
I donā€™t care how we get to the figure, discount or px price offered.
Bought the Motorhome we have now at the full asking price, dealer wouldnā€™t budge but offered a very generous px so deal done.

Just ask for a price to change, if not acceptable, walk away.

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
ā€œWith regards to negotiations, once I finish talking and look into your eyes, I can hold that stare forever, you could be sat there squirming into nervous submission, whilst I am currently thinking about what I have for dinner! Everytime I do it, I get a little bit better!ā€
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

What ??
Tips from Van Bitz?

Ian789

Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7 years
I'm on the other side of the coin as well, our Hymer 584 (2000) that we have owned and loved for the past 18 years will have to go up for sale owing to health issues. It's in for a MOT next week then a bit of emptying and it will go in the classified but I'm sure it will be sold with heart as well as head, so much good Karma with our van.
Yes it would be nice to know the new owners will take as much care of it as you have. Im sure they will though.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We are looking to change our van this year, hopefully, and are looking at Hymers with drop down bed.
Having googled B584 models , unfortunately I think they only have 3 travelling seats with belts, whereas we need 4.
Shame, as the age and make, plus the longevity if ownership are 2 big ticks in my buying requirements, and probably price range.
I wish you well in your sale.
Someone will no doubt get a cracker of a van. šŸ˜Š

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I generally set myself a price to change.
I donā€™t care how we get to the figure, discount or px price offered.
Just ask for a price to change, if not acceptable, walk away.
I'm the same and not interested in all the flannel that the one I want to part-ex which has the rectangular headlights isn't very popular, but he simply can't get enough of the sought-after one he's selling which has the self-emptying ashtray.
:rolleyes:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We are looking to change our van this year, hopefully, and are looking at Hymers with drop down bed.
Having googled B584 models , unfortunately I think they only have 3 travelling seats with belts, whereas we need 4.
Shame, as the age and make, plus the longevity if ownership are 2 big ticks in my buying requirements, and probably price range.
I wish you well in your sale.
Someone will no doubt get a cracker of a van. šŸ˜Š
Thank you, yes they only have 3 seat belts someone will get a genuine van that's for sure, there is even a vidio of it on you tube after MMM did a feature on it for one of their magazines. It's sad we can't use it with Eddie unable to drive now but it's never let us down, going for it's MOT tomorrow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back