Fridge Gas Burner Issue: Flames Shooting Out! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
OK in recent posts i mentioned my intermittant dometic fridge when on gas ,, Have replaced gas Solenoid and control unit and various old gas fittings , thats over £350 ,,

The Burner unit was replaced only 7 months ago too with a new dometic burner £89 ,,, The flue is clean too

Today i switch it all back on and the burner lit immediately which is good ,as thats the intermittant fault fixed .........BUT the flames were shooting out all over the place and 6'' long . quickly shut off gas supply and used dry powder to extinguish flames .. Luckily no damage to van but I was worried,,but no panic

anyway took out the burner unit and found its broken ???? the circular surround for the gas jet has completely broken off ???? i can see the crimps or welds are weak ,, Im not happy as thats another £89 of crap dometic parts I need to get ,, Do you think thats the cause of the uncontrolled Flames ?????

Im supposed to be travelling away next Friday , spoke with a Dometic engineer in Chelsford he want £250 just to look at it but cant do it until October ???

so I have to sort it myself

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
BUT the flames were shooting out all over the place and 6'' long . quickly shut off gas supply and used dry powder to extinguish flames .. Luckily no damage to van but I was worried,,but no panic
Glad to see that your swift and controlled actions saved the day Jerry. (y)

anyway took out the burner unit and found its broken ???? the circular surround for the gas jet has completely broken off ???? i can see the crimps or welds are weak ,, Im not happy as thats another £89 of crap dometic parts I need to get ,, Do you think thats the cause of the uncontrolled Flames ?????
I certainly do, but lets see an image of the broken burner please. The flame is either like a tiny row of blue flames, or a single pilot light type of flame, depending on the burner type.
So, of the burner became delaminated at the edges, then flames would appear from all around. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It doesn’t need to be a Dometic service engineer.
Have a look at this site and ring around those in your area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Gas fridges are nothing but trouble, look at all the threads on here that are "won't light on gas" etc etc

You can get a compressor kit for about £350
Ha ,, ive run out of money now lol , between the Moho, The broken motorcycles and the new garage build im broke ...and dont mention my pregnant daughter with no job !!!!!!!!!

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
You do seem to be unlucky!
In your description of the problem you mention "the circular surround for the gas jet has completely broken off".
The gas JET is trapped between the burner body and the supply tube by the fitting connector, which part broke the tube or the part it screws into?

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
1725205008942.jpeg
1725205008942.jpeg

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
So, dare I ask if you are an accredited or trained/authorised gas safe person?
If not unless Qualified by Training/Experience then leave to others.

Sadly, as a retired Power station EC&I engineer (accredited) at work able to manage and work on anything from 400kv to 1.2V and coal/oil/propane/Hydrogen systems associated with 500MW generators.... BUT can't do similar on domestic electrics and gas systems without risk of prosecution.

Would ask folks to just think about it! before going in to the unknown.

(The collection plate is with Jim as he has the nominated charity)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So, dare I ask if you are an accredited or trained/authorised gas safe person?
If not unless Qualified by Training/Experience then leave to others.

Sadly, as a retired Power station EC&I engineer (accredited) at work able to manage and work on anything from 400kv to 1.2V and coal/oil/propane/Hydrogen systems associated with 500MW generators.... BUT can't do similar on domestic electrics and gas systems without risk of prosecution.

Would ask folks to just think about it! before going in to the unknown.

(The collection plate is with Jim as he has the nominated charity)
The thing is nowadays there is that much incompetence about you are often better off doing it yourself.
Applies to me anyway, I'm good at anything I turn my hand to 😁😎

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
The thing is nowadays there is that much incompetence about you are often better off doing it yourself.
even more sadly...

you are probably right!

Back in the day up to Maggie in 1983 cutting the training grants, one of the best apprenticeships anyone could get was with the CEGB.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
There are a few good people around but i do know where you are coming from.
Ive come across so called " eperts" that I wouldn't trust to have a shit.

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Mmmm you might try and talk to your man at Dometic about items being fit for purpose and the time scales involved....... and how you would be happy with an immediate straight forward replacement rather than having to talk to third parties as to what your options might be......and oh by the way would you like the failed part back so your quality control bods can have a look see........

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
Your pictures do show a broken burner assembly, not a jet.
When you fitted the burner are you sure you replaced the jet, if you didn't then there would be an excessive amount of gas going to the burner, which would explain the flames you previously mentioned.
There is an awful lot of damage on that burner, any idea how it got there?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Glad you managed to act swiftly before to much damage was done, all those thinking you shouldn’t touch gas fittings unless trained do you get a gas safe engineer to change your bottles?

I know folk will laugh at that but it’s just the same as any other gas fitting, I know I certainly wouldn’t think about using one.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When you fitted the burner are you sure you replaced the jet, if you didn't then there would be an excessive amount of gas going to the burner, which would explain the flames you previously mentioned.
I was just wondering a similar thing. I am no gas expert though so...

jerryz did the burner come with the jet already installed?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Jet looks like this?

1725208820960.png

• Informative
Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
It was abrand new Burner with brand new jet fitted as part of the kit ,, I have already ordered another one ,, apparently according to some experts Dometic are apparently aware that they are sending out defective items but refusing to do anything about it

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
Yes thats what I had and have now ordered again ,, according to Lenny HB dometic have quality issues with these ???
Please when you receive your new burner assembly you do not fit it without first installing the appropriate sized jet as per the illustration in Grommet's post, and insure when you order / buy the jet you must ensure it is the correct one for your particular model of fridge, they are not all the same.
Many others have already said it but if you are not familiar with motorhome gas (or electrics) it really is best to leave it to someone that does.
My guess would be that you were unaware that there was a loose jet in the system and when you removed the old burner the jet dropped out and you didn't notice it.

Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
Having bought a new house a few years ago, I agree with you, I was at the epicentre of incompetence, misrepresentation, lazyness & a clown show. Having had the incompetent feckless labour back to try & fix things, but actually make it worse I did most of it myself, but held out for the roof!!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Having bought a new house a few years ago, I agree with you, I was at the epicentre of incompetence, misrepresentation, lazyness & a clown show. Having had the incompetent feckless labour back to try & fix things, but actually make it worse I did most of it myself, but held out for the roof!!
I blame the minimum wage, it's at least partly to blame. It removes all incentive to do well, learn stuff and get a pay rise.

Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
OK in recent posts i mentioned my intermittant dometic fridge when on gas ,, Have replaced gas Solenoid and control unit and various old gas fittings , thats over £350 ,,

The Burner unit was replaced only 7 months ago too with a new dometic burner £89 ,,, The flue is clean too

Today i switch it all back on and the burner lit immediately which is good ,as thats the intermittant fault fixed .........BUT the flames were shooting out all over the place and 6'' long . quickly shut off gas supply and used dry powder to extinguish flames .. Luckily no damage to van but I was worried,,but no panic

Im supposed to be travelling away next Friday , spoke with a Dometic engineer in Chelsford he want £250 just to look at it but cant do it until October ???

so I have to sort it myself
What I can say about my recent fridge repair experience, is, there was a lot of tension put on the whole gas line up to & including the burner unit in the way the gas line had been originaly sealed into the gas box.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back