Fridge Gas Burner Issue: Flames Shooting Out! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Please when you receive your new burner assembly you do not fit it without first installing the appropriate sized jet as per the illustration in Grommet's post, and insure when you order / buy the jet you must ensure it is the correct one for your particular model of fridge, they are not all the same.
Many others have already said it but if you are not familiar with motorhome gas (or electrics) it really is best to leave it to someone that does.
My guess would be that you were unaware that there was a loose jet in the system and when you removed the old burner the jet dropped out and you didn't notice it.

Exactly what happened to a friend of ours who decided to change the burner on his fridge/freezer and failed to see the jet fall out when he disconnected the old burner,luckily someone was outside when he'd fitted the new one and turned if back on,apparently the flames were quite impressive 😳

OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Please when you receive your new burner assembly you do not fit it without first installing the appropriate sized jet as per the illustration in Grommet's post, and insure when you order / buy the jet you must ensure it is the correct one for your particular model of fridge, they are not all the same.
Many others have already said it but if you are not familiar with motorhome gas (or electrics) it really is best to leave it to someone that does.
My guess would be that you were unaware that there was a loose jet in the system and when you removed the old burner the jet dropped out and you didn't notice it.
Thanks John I have the old original assembly and correct part numbers for the RM 7 series unit that is in my van and I know which jet to order for this model but i order them as a unit as some companies dont supply the correct jet the fridge burner was working OK for a while , It needed a new control box and gas solenoid and some new fittings ,, when the new burner arrives im certain all will be fine ,, looking at the defective one, it appears as bad manufacturing ??? The old unit was in the van for 12 years the one that I have just taken out and is in the photos I loaded is completely broken off ???? and its only 7 months old ,,,

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That is the burner, the jet goes inside it.
1725222775833.png

Without the jet at the bottom of this picture, it will act like a flame thrower as described I would guess. Not going to try it to prove it though :p

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I don't think I'd sleep very well if I had a known defective gas part running the fridge 😬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
If you chaps look at the photos I uploaded you will see the whole thing has fallen apart after 7 months and the jet is also damaged in the centre ?????!!!!!!! it was replaced by a dealer , TBH I now believe that the original was not faulty , Im certain it was the Gas solenoid and the control box , both now replaced .by me ..the gas supply and ignition is now perfect ,,

Just got to sort the broken burner .
It did work ok for a while ..??? Lenny HB has told me Dometic have a quality control problem with these particular burner unit??

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
That is the burner, the jet goes inside it.
View attachment 943367

Without the jet at the bottom of this picture, it will act like a flame thrower as described I would guess. Not going to try it to prove it though :p

The jet restricts the flow to the burner and goes in the connection between the supply pipe and the burner.

IMG_4880.jpeg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The reason I asked about the jet was if it was missing there would be nothing to restrict the flow of gas and it would give the flame thrower effect he described?

1725225379917.png

OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Look closely at the photos i posted chaps... It clearly show the jet in the burner but its fallen apart and the jet itself has been damaged and cant work properly ,,, ,,,thats why the flame was uncontrolled

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
You've still not explained how the damage I mentioned in my original reply got there, it certainly wasn't a manufacturing fault.
On picture, blue arrow, how did the flame distribution ring get broken and distorted?, certainly not from new, red arrow, gouges in body look like perhaps mole grips / pliers damage.
I don't believe you are telling the whole / true story.

Just to add, having read your last post properly it sounds as though you think the flame distribution part of the burner is the jet, that is not the case, suggest you read (properly) earlier replies thoroughly to understand what the jet actually is and where it is situated.
Burner damage.png

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
different jet on my parts its in the centre 0f the burner assembly and its clearly defective

Are you sure?

I suspect you are confusing the "burner" with the "jet".

They are different things as shown by Gromett's photo.

The jet fits inside the burner at the end of the gas supply pipe which is at the opposite end of the burner to where flame is.

If you connect the burner to the gas supply pipe WITHOUT the jet installed and light it, flames will shoot out just as you described and possibly cause the burner to come apart through excess heat.

JJ :cool:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think somebody didn’t know what they we’re doing and tried to undo the burner , blue arrow, and the red arrowed marks are where the burner shroud was welded on.
As other have said the jet is held in by the gas pipe.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think somebody did know what they we’re doing and tried to undo the burner , blue arrow, and the red arrowed marks are where the burner shroud was welded on.
As other have said the jet is held in by the gas pipe.
Should that be , didn't know?
To be honest anyone who has done that to a gas fitting shouldn't be messing with it.

OP
OP
jerryz
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I can assure the jet was in the Burner gas pipe as it did work ok for 5 months I have it in my parts tray ,, i have not been at it with pliers etc , i found it in the condition you see it was bent over at 45 degrees with clear damage to the flame distribution part and when unbolted just fell apart ,,

Any way to be sure i have ordered a complete new one with jet , hopefully its here beforeI go away on Friday as there is no EHU where im going

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back