Nearly didn’t get back in to UK! & UK roads vs European roads… (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Yesterday, Dieppe passport (French side) ended up having a 15 min discussion with me (and themselves separately) if I should be allowed through… last border transit I had was 2nd Jan into Spain. It took quite some explaining to cover how Directive 2004/38 should be applied to me travelling with my wife.

I’m still not sure they are convinced with my explanation; but I got the stamp!

So after passport discussion, we are finally back in the UK. I have to say, the motorways in the UK are very nice to drive in a large Motorhome. They definitely have lanes that feel nearly a foot wider than Spanish and French motorways.

As for the traffic… yeah, not missed that!

The road surfaces, or lack of, yeah not missed that either! The concrete on the southern section of the M25 has deteriorated very badly! Needs sorting desperately!

Lane discipline - terrible in the UK.. I spent most of my time (when it wasn’t a car park) undertaking yesterday as the inside lane on M23/M25/M1 was devoid of traffic! I just carried on at 60mph.

Oh well, 80 days in the UK then off again! 🤪

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Highway Code States:

Overtaking on the nearside (left) is legally acceptable if you are driving on a multi-lane carriageway in congested conditions and the lane to the left is moving at a faster speed than lanes to the right.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I always say to Mrs T what's the point in the taxpayer paying to build 4 lane motorways and ignorant tw4ts hog the outside lanes so reducing 4 lanes down to 2.

That’s exactly it… really poor behaviour and discipline! Let’s have some automated detection and fines around this on the highways, as opposed to the fixation on just speed! ✔️

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
That’s exactly it… really poor behaviour and discipline! Let’s have some automated detection and fines around this on the highways, as opposed to the fixation on just speed! ✔️
Or just make it like America, use any lane to over/undertake🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Lane discipline - terrible in the UK.. I spent most of my time (when it wasn’t a car park) undertaking yesterday as the inside lane on M23/M25/M1 was devoid of traffic! I just carried on at 60mph.
I absolutely detest middle lane hoggers. In Cambs, we have a long stretch of the A1M which has 4 x lanes. It is amazing how many car/van drivers seem to think that lane 1 is only for HGVs. :doh:

Highway Code States:

Overtaking on the nearside (left) is legally acceptable if you are driving on a multi-lane carriageway in congested conditions and the lane to the left is moving at a faster speed than lanes to the right.
Agreed, but to that I would add the words, "However, drivers should proceed with caution", as the lane hogging idiots clearly don't read the Highway Code since passing their driving test, and are highly unlikely to even be aware of your presence. 🤷‍♂️

Jock.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yesterday, Dieppe passport (French side) ended up having a 15 min discussion with me (and themselves separately) if I should be allowed through… last border transit I had was 2nd Jan into Spain. It took quite some explaining to cover how Directive 2004/38 should be applied to me travelling with my wife.

I’m still not sure they are convinced with my explanation; but I got the stamp!

So after passport discussion, we are finally back in the UK. I have to say, the motorways in the UK are very nice to drive in a large Motorhome. They definitely have lanes that feel nearly a foot wider than Spanish and French motorways.

As for the traffic… yeah, not missed that!

The road surfaces, or lack of, yeah not missed that either! The concrete on the southern section of the M25 has deteriorated very badly! Needs sorting desperately!

Oh well, 80 days in the UK then off again! 🤪
Bu&&er!!!

I'll be wanting that bung back from those tossers at Dieppe.
They were only supposed to let Serena back in.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The worst road ive ever travelled on is the A49 in Spain from Seville to the Portuguese border , had to endure it there and back this week . Worse than ANY UK road .

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, it took me around 15 mins to persuade them to let me back through at the tunnel, last year. (Although I don't have the luxury of a spouse with an EU passport)

We'd arrived in Schengen at Santander and spent around 85 days in Spain. Although Graham's passport was stamped on arrival in Spain, mine wasn't.

I was able to show them my Brittany Ferries ticket to Santander, but the French border guard was distinctly unimpressed. Eventually, he very grudgingly, let me through. I know that he made some notes about me on his record though.

Lesson learnt - always check that you've had your passport stamped on entry.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is amazing how many car/van drivers seem to think that lane 1 is only for HGVs. :doh:
But in my opinion the HGVs are the reason for center lane hogging.
Trucks are speed restricted so being in lane 1 means constant pulling into lane 2 to pass a truck then a little later repeating the same thing ......again........and again.
Lane 1 really should be restricted to HGVs and people that are terrified of motorway driving.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Had to laugh last night. We travelled down to Devon overnight and on one stretch we were doing 65MPH in the nearside lane of the M6 and watch a tussle with a BMW sat in the outside lane doing around 70 with 3 cars all up each others arses behind him and no one in the middle lanes, looked like a conger line until a transit van shot up the middle lane then positioned himself in front of the conger line then started slowing down all in the outside lane.
All were driving like sheep and at one point I undertook them all, not sure what was going on but it was funny how the transit was playing the other cars.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
They thought I had overstayed by a couple of months, which I had, but I’m allowed to! 😉

I ave been in Schengen for years and have no entry stamp because I entered as a UK/EU Citizen.

I assume if I leave France for UK at some stage my Polish Residency Card will protect me against allegations of overstay.

It seems that it may be some time before border guards grasp the details of the new rules. Maybe the ETIAS and EES will assist them when implemented.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect many won’t use the near side lane on a 4 lane smart motorway with no hard shoulder because they have been proven not to be safe, so they stay in the second lane

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But in my opinion the HGVs are the reason for center lane hogging.
Trucks are speed restricted so being in lane 1 means constant pulling into lane 2 to pass a truck then a little later repeating the same thing ......again........and again.
Lane 1 really should be restricted to HGVs and people that are terrified of motorway driving.
It's not just that it's the people overtaking in the next lane out who are unwilling to move into the next lane out to allow someone to pull out and overtake if they're stuck behind slower traffic. I think it's generally people who don't look ahead and are only bothered about themselves

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
One trait I have observed over recent years of driving up and down to the Thames along the M1 is that there are quite a lot of drivers, of all ages and sex, who appear to not want to change lanes to overtake. They are happy to exceed the speed limits but if they pull up behind a slower vehicle then they don’t move lanes to overtake, just slow down, and when the vehicle in front moves over they speed up again. I’ve heard about this as well but my observations of this are too frequent to be just a coincidence.

Most drivers don’t read the road conditions far enough in advance either, react to what’s in front of them and almost no one indicates these days. ☹️

I try to maintain a safe constant speed for the road conditions but also keep at the national speed limits as far as possible and make safe progress. So I change lanes a lot but avoid the smart motorway near side lane if traffic is busy, reduce the risk I say.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As a driver of HGVs John, I can only agree with the latter part of your sentence. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back