Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Could you tell me who with please?
Tia Alex
My wife went on one of the insurance comparison sites she thinks it was go compare or compare the market and one of the cheapest quotes was with admiral. We haven't taken it out yet we will probably change when the new account fees come in we have paid this year to cover her health issues.
The quote was European cover only I don't know about the limitations in terms of length of holiday etc

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Sorry chaps. My fault I think. I put in a claim for £2000 last month and they paid out, no quibble.

I also got £100 for being a customer for a while and £200 for switching an old unused current account to them. So done quite well out of them over the last few months

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I paid £18 for a year's breakdown for our car, full cover and then got £5 back from Quidco too. I'm with rescuemycar.
How many vehicles though? Nationwide cover every vehicle me and the wife drive, no age limit on the car (one of mine is 21 years old) and covers EU too

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How many vehicles though? Nationwide cover every vehicle me and the wife drive, no age limit on the car (one of mine is 21 years old) and covers EU too
Just giving an alternative for a single vehicle in our case a 2018 Smart for Four, UK only as we'd never take it abroad, it covers the car not people. We only have the one car and the MH is covered with Comfort. If you have a few vehicles it may make sense to rely on a bank acct policy covering multiple vehicles or alternatively look for a people cover policy instead.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why wait? 🤔
We've paid the premium for the medical conditions for the year and are in the middle of a claim so we're going to continue probably until the end of the year although once the claim is settled I suppose there's no point paying the monthly fee if we're not going anywhere

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I also got £100 for being a customer for a while and £200 for switching an old unused current account to them. So done quite well out of them over the last few months
Loyalty £ to you for paying for the account for a long time is ok but if you are now paying over the odds there's no point in staying. Switch account again and you could get another load of dosh.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've paid the premium for the medical conditions for the year
You may have a genuine reason for a refund for the rest of the cover period as they are changing the terms of the 'contract' by increasing the account fee.

and are in the middle of a claim so we're going to continue probably until the end of the year although once the claim is settled
The active claim shouldn't make any difference as having the account cover is only necessary at the time the claim is made.

I suppose there's no point paying the monthly fee if we're not going anywhere
Nope.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Loyalty £ to you for paying for the account for a long time is ok but if you are now paying over the odds there's no point in staying. Switch account again and you could get another load of dosh.

Its not over the odds for the cover I get - still good value at £18 p.m. 1 motorhome, 2 cars, 2 people. Lots of breakdown policies have a 10 or 15 year age limit too - Nationwide doesn;t.

Also worldwide travel insurance - we do a lot of that in addition to Europe in the MH. Comfort Breakdown isn't free - it's an additional cost.

I really cannot see getting cheaper cover than Nationwide elsewhere,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi, I've joined this thread because of the astounding increase in costs for stays of 31+days I have a holiday home in Spain and I stay there twice a year for about 60days. The premium for a stay over 30days amounts to £340 per trip over 31 days. I'd have thought that motorhomers would experience 31÷ day holidays on a regular basis and would be up in arms over what is a massive increase.
I love the Flexplus deal, my car broke down on the way home and tha Nationwide policy with the AA was fantastic. with a hire car to get us home and repatriation of the car for repair in the UK.
But the massive increase in 31+ day stays cover seems to me disproportionate. Has anyone raised this with Nationwide, its a mutual and this new arrangement doesn't seem to be in the best interests of its customers.

OP
OP
V
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi, I've joined this thread because of the astounding increase in costs for stays of 31+days I have a holiday home in Spain and I stay there twice a year for about 60days. The premium for a stay over 30days amounts to £340 per trip over 31 days. I'd have thought that motorhomers would experience 31÷ day holidays on a regular basis and would be up in arms over what is a massive increase.
I love the Flexplus deal, my car broke down on the way home and tha Nationwide policy with the AA was fantastic. with a hire car to get us home and repatriation of the car for repair in the UK.
But the massive increase in 31+ day stays cover seems to me disproportionate. Has anyone raised this with Nationwide, its a mutual and this new arrangement doesn't seem to be in the best interests of its customers.
Crikey ... that is a horrific increase! I hope you find cover at a fair price going forward.

Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCi600
Exp
Since 2018
The upgrade fee at 70 has been scrapped
Saying that it hasn’t gone up since 2017 is true but back then we used to receive interest on the balance
Will probably stick with it if only for the recovery

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Has anyone raised this with Nationwide,
I made a compliant via their website, but it was forwarded to Aviva.

I was contacted by an Aviva agent who just quoted terms and conditions etc.

I then contacted Nationwide again to register my Dis-satisfaction, they 'noted' my comments.

More people need to complain to Nationwide.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Definitely worth lodging concerns/ complaints. However, Nationwide has @16 million customers apparently, i suspect motorhome users only make up a tiny proportion. They probably think they are acting in the best interests of the majority.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We have banked with NW for almost 40 years and have always been pleased with the service. We have been flexplus account holders since it was introduced, but we shall change when the increase comes into force. The breakdown cover does not cover us as our van is too big. Our trips are always over 30 days and usually pay the annual increase premium to extend to 90 days. With the change of insurer the cost and T&Cs have changed which make travel insurance no longer a market leader and better cover can be found elsewhere. That only leaves us with mobile phone cover which is expensive at £18 a month so we shall move account. Nearer the time I may also look at any other banks offering cash reward as I see no huge benefit remaining with NW.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We have banked with NW for almost 40 years and have always been pleased with the service. We have been flexplus account holders since it was introduced, but we shall change when the increase comes into force. The breakdown cover does not cover us as our van is too big. Our trips are always over 30 days and usually pay the annual increase premium to extend to 90 days. With the change of insurer the cost and T&Cs have changed which make travel insurance no longer a market leader and better cover can be found elsewhere. That only leaves us with mobile phone cover which is expensive at £18 a month so we shall move account. Nearer the time I may also look at any other banks offering cash reward as I see no huge benefit remaining with NW.
I tend to agree, although there was the £200 (between two of us) dividend which softens the blow from the increases and probably needs to be built into the costing. I think you still get it if you drop the flexi plus, so that may be the route we take when we review the insurance.

Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
Has anyone found any packaged bank accounts that match Nationwide? I've looked at a few and they do not cover a 'normal' motorhome! For example CO-OPs limit was 3500kg and 5.5m! Others are UK only.

I am going to stay with Nationwide for the time being unless there are alternatives.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have a joint Flexplus account and over the past two years we've had £400 back as part of the profit share. Also bear in mind no age surcharge.
We'll be sticking with them.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I have given feedback to Nationwide over the insurance, but still seems an option to use. I needed the breakdown cover in France in May, for the level of service and support we received, happy to stick with them.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have given feedback to Nationwide over the insurance, but still seems an option to use. I needed the breakdown cover in France in May, for the level of service and support we received, happy to stick with them.
We have a travel insurance claim ongoing at the moment. If they pay out I will be tempted to keep with them after all you know the cost of alternative insurers but not how they are likely to act if there's a claim

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Even with the increase it'll still be worth keeping the Flexplus account for the breakdown cover and the travel insurance. Not bothered about the phone cover as both our phones are old so might just as well buy 2nd hand ones if they get damaged or lost.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Any tips for another account with the same cover..BUSBY

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Even with the increase it'll still be worth keeping the Flexplus account for the breakdown cover and the travel insurance. Not bothered about the phone cover as both our phones are old so might just as well buy 2nd hand ones if they get damaged or lost.
I stay with FlexPlus for the same reasons. My PAYG Nokia phone is at least ten years old and even now it's less than 30 quid at Tesco for a replacement.

1725986449609.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Any tips for another account with the same cover..BUSBY
Lloyds do one and Virgin but I've not looked in detail at what they cover so may not be exactly the same, obviously it depends on what cover you want as to whether they are suitable or not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Big cost elsewhere is Health insurance..some eye-watering prices.BUSBY.
Yes I've been reading about that, it's gonna kill off a lot of account holders (not literally!). No way would I even consider the account now as having to tie in to a specific period of time isn't for us but I'd be miffed as hell if I'd paid the extortionate amount for 3 months and due to the weather etc we returned home early! Don't think I'd get a credit for unused time.

Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
Lloyds do one and Virgin but I've not looked in detail at what they cover so may not be exactly the same, obviously it depends on what cover you want as to whether they are suitable or not.
They only do UK recovery unfortunately. Lloyds is also £22.50 for the platinum account, it does cover to 80 years old for travel though.

Just read through Barclays (£22.50) who do European breakdown, same limits as CO-OP, 3500kg and 5.5m.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
Does it cover health though..??BUSBY
Pre existing health conditions? It looks similar to the nationwide account in that respect. I haven't really looked into that side of it too much as 🤞🏼 I'm still condition free!

I still haven't found anything better than nationwide yet, for me anyway, it all depends on the limits and extra cost for add ons I suppose. I've just read Barclays use Aviva like Nationwide.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back