Nationwide breakdown! (1 Viewer)

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
We are 72 and 78..couple of notifiable medical problems..82 days multi trip costs us just under £300 including monthly fee.
BUSBY..
Is that with Nationwide,? if so I need to give them a call !

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I’m waiting to see what changes there will be on May 1st
I think some things will be better and some worse

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I’m waiting to see what changes there will be on May 1st
I think some things will be better and some worse

I'm not sure you will learn anything new on May 1st- it's all here, you just need to read it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Changes for me - medical upgrades

That’s what I’m concerned about too!

I've been with N'w for maybe ten years and have one declared BP medication. No point in giving myself gas about the new T's & C's. If they hike the cost too much I'll shop around for another provider, just the same as I do now for all other insurances .

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Are you aware that if you already have upgrades these will continue with UK insurance until they runout? - won't necessarily stop on May 1st.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Mine will be ok fir first trip May/June but will run out before second at the end of august

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
I have the Nationwide Flex account breakdown cover. Would I be silly to assume that my campervan will count as a motorhome in the event of needing to use the service? Or should I contact them to be sure?
If it is a smaller van (VW Transporter or equivalent) then it would fit in the first vehicle category, i.e. under 3.5tons.

In any case, they don't provide a definition of a motorhome, so as long as you have facilities for sleeping, cooking and sitting then it's a motorhome.

If you are concerned, look at the DVLA requirements for a motor caravan. As long as you meet them then there can be no argument as far as I can see, regardless of what it says on your V5.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have the Nationwide Flex account breakdown cover. Would I be silly to assume that my campervan will count as a motorhome in the event of needing to use the service? Or should I contact them to be sure?
You don't have to pre-register the type, make or registration of any of your vehicles.
They are really only interested in the length and weight which they will ask you when/if you call for breakdown assistance.

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
Interesting responses here and as ever, the devil is in the small print -I may be getting the wrong end of the stick, but one of the problems here seems to be potential gap between cover provider on the one hand and the AA doing the operational side of it on the other? I was wondering is this specifically an AA thing? My cover (hopefully?) is with the RAC...and I'm wondering if they are a more integrated operation, namely both providing the cover and rescuing you on the road? Apologies if I have misunderstood the thread here so if I have just ignore me. As I understand it, the RAC have two types of cover (either you as a person, or your vehicle) as when I rang to ask if I needed separate cover for the MH, they said that I had 'personal cover' which extended to my MH (in other words it was linked to me not my car) I did test this recently when I called them from my brother's car that had broken down and out they came no questions asked). But reading the thread I'm now wondering if I need to go back and triple check that I am covered in the MH -they did say I was when I discussed it but am going to check up on it in light of the discussion here. I haven't needed to call them out yet thankfully. Again -apologies if this is not relevant to the discussion of the AA NW cover etc.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Interesting responses here and as ever, the devil is in the small print -I may be getting the wrong end of the stick, but one of the problems here seems to be potential gap between cover provider on the one hand and the AA doing the operational side of it on the other? I was wondering is this specifically an AA thing? My cover (hopefully?) is with the RAC...and I'm wondering if they are a more integrated operation, namely both providing the cover and rescuing you on the road? Apologies if I have misunderstood the thread here so if I have just ignore me. As I understand it, the RAC have two types of cover (either you as a person, or your vehicle) as when I rang to ask if I needed separate cover for the MH, they said that I had 'personal cover' which extended to my MH (in other words it was linked to me not my car) I did test this recently when I called them from my brother's car that had broken down and out they came no questions asked). But reading the thread I'm now wondering if I need to go back and triple check that I am covered in the MH -they did say I was when I discussed it but am going to check up on it in light of the discussion here. I haven't needed to call them out yet thankfully. Again -apologies if this is not relevant to the discussion of the AA NW cover etc.

There are two types of breakdown/recovery cover under the Nationwide account - U.K. and European - and both can be examined in detail via the policy document on the website.

I would think one of the main points for you to establish with the RAC is whether there are any exclusions with regard to weights and dimensions that would exempt your moho from cover?

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Yes indeed, assuming that confirmation bias doesn't make you believe you're not covered before you get anywhere near point 2 ie "Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions "

Hence why some people feel it's not as clear as it could be.
Ok, but personally find it really clear...

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
There are two types of breakdown/recovery cover under the Nationwide account - U.K. and European - and both can be examined in detail via the policy document on the website.

I would think one of the main points for you to establish with the RAC is whether there are any exclusions with regard to weights and dimensions that would exempt your moho from cover?
Thanks that is very good advice and I'll follow it up before I need to call on it (y)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not true!

You will no longer be able to extend your cover with a ‘guest upgrade’ to include anyone else who is travelling with you, your partner or your children.

So no guests not no partners.

From the new policy document...

Eligibility - Who is covered

This policy provides cover for the following ‘insured person(s)’
• ‘You’ – the Nationwide FlexPlus current account holder,
• ‘your partner’ who lives at home with you,
• ‘your children’ - you and/or your partner’s dependent children aged under 23 when the tripstarts (including stepchildren and foster children).

Goodness knows why children up to 23 should be covered. Kids are no longer kids when they leave school (at 18!!!)
I expect it’s like our Lloyds and the important word is dependent so ours were covered whilst they were still at University. Lloyds was particularly good as they were covered even if they travelled without us as long as they travelled with another person 18 or older. I phoned to query this as son was travelling on his gap year in S America with another 19 year old! She said yes , believe it or not that significantly lowers the risk compared with solo travel.

They did both come back alive I suppose.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp

Many breakdown companies do not have a connection between them and the company you have the contract with. I rang my breakdown a while back and was put through to what is clearly a call centre who acted on behalf of many breakdown companies and many recovery companies. I would not be surprised if AA/RAC worked in this way too. It's quite the norm to outsource organisations to handle stuff like this nowadays.

Reactions: FEC
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Download the AA app. if you have a Nationwide account. Had to use it today and I have to say I was very impressed. Only needed a jump start but sent the request via the app. initially and then had to call because over 3.5 tonne but no issue.

Jun 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
You open a Flex Plus current account with Nationwide. It costs £13 per month. In addition to the current account you get......
Hi VX, I'm about to switch to NW but on a unrelated subject, do you know if it's easy to download their transactions to a spreadsheet?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Hi VX, I'm about to switch to NW but on a unrelated subject, do you know if it's easy to download their transactions to a spreadsheet?
No idea. I don't actually use it as a bank account.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've been with N'w for maybe ten years and have one declared BP medication. No point in giving myself gas about the new T's & C's. If they hike the cost too much I'll shop around for another provider, just the same as I do now for all other insurances .
As a precaution I have been looking elsewhere..Blimey the cost is ridiculous compared to Nationwide..Cannot believe how much some companies are asking just for health insurance.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back