National Trust membership

Brightonbelle

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Agree with everything above about being members of English NT - use it in Scotland, free parking, nice campsites. If you are wrinkly and been a member for three years you will need to call to get senior rates. Also we thought about English Heritage but joined the Civil Service Sports Club ( you don’t need to be a civil servant ) and you get English Heritage plus CADW (Welsh equivalent) thrown in and it is cheaper than joining EH. CSSC app also has member savings on it.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thats fantastic, I wish I'd had the foresight :doh:

Actually I was still at school.
I guess 30 pounds was a sizeable chunk of money in 1973, perhaps two weeks wages for many ?
Or a nice gift if you have generous parents 😜
We had an annual membership and noticed the life membership was due to increase from £30 to £60 the next year so got in quick. We didn't get to use it much in the early days but have certainly had our monysworth in nearly 20 years of retirement.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Since 1991
Good Morning

Now that we have the opportunity to make a few more trips out, I was considering joining the National Trust.
Are you members? Do you get satisfaction from your membership? Are they motorhome friendly?
We joined years ago before the motorhome and never really got to use it enough to cover the investment as having to pay for accommodation if further afield and not too many within a nearby radius.
It’s £139 for joint membership. Discount codes I’ve come across don’t work either!
So can you offer your experiences and any recommendations on places you’ve visited ( ideally within a two to three hours drive from Northampton)

Thanks!

Phil in Northampton
My wife joined as an individual and we can park up for free, she gets in the garden for free and I hang out in the van or walk the dog. We live in Norfolk but aim to use it further afield as well.

Shakti Yoni

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
several years
Waddesdon, Bucks is a good day out. We also did a free gardens guided walk, very interesting history of the house as well as the gardens.

Likes collected
Funster No
We get an 'old farts discount' which makes it much cheaper. We left because we object to their wokeness and change of emphasis but then rejoined purely because we like to visit several of their properties and it saves us money

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Apparently, if you apply for the Australian equivalent to the national trust it's far cheaper and it's a reciprocal arrangement.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the life membership was due to increase from £30 to £60
Bit cheaper than today.

Screenshot_20230714-144255.png

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Certainly a very large increase....for comparison, about the same time I got done for speeding over the national 50 mph limit, imposed during the fuel crisis, and the fine was also £30... I think that would be £100 now.
A little bit out! Bank of England calculator says £310.

Interesting, I never knew we had a reduced speed limit, I had to read up about it.

But then I was too little to take much notice!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
A little bit out! Bank of England calculator says £310.

Interesting, I never knew we had a reduced speed limit, I had to read up about it.

But then I was too little to take much notice!
When i mentioned £100 i was referring to the current cost of a speeding fine.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
Chris my wife is a National Trust Volunteer we have been members for over 25 years, It's wonderful to see these old properties being kept for to enjoy.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Yes NT is great value for money, but also look at English Heritage, that’s pretty good too, but only England.
Cadw is the Welsh version of English heritage with a reciprocal arangement and was a lot cheaper ( no residency requirements). Come Covid we killed all memberships pherhaps time to look again

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Arto
Just found the resource on here - put together by ceejayt

Just updated and now with 155 pins on the map

I click on the link and there is no help? Anyone can tell me how to view, thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I click on the link and there is no help? Anyone can tell me how to view, thanks.
I am afraid that as a "Resource", the only way you can view it is to become a full member for £20 per year. It would be money well spent as you can then post an unlimted number of questions, accessing a vast wealth of knowledge from the members.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We had English Heritage and now National Trust.

Put simply, English Heritage is roof off and National Trust is roof on.

It’s a real money saver if you can get out and visit the places.

My Wife, Lucy, teaches History so it’s like having a guide with you. :-)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Arto
I am afraid that as a "Resource", the only way you can view it is to become a full member for £20 per year. It would be money well spent as you can then post an unlimted number of questions, accessing a vast wealth of knowledge from the members.
Thanks, appreciate the information.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
TThere are two or three NT Properties that have CLs on site, one on the A303 , there is also a map of 8m + MH Friendly parking Properties. When in doubt I just check on Google earth or call them. Often use the Coach parking area if not busy.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
We live in North Yorkshire but have been NTS members for years. I have turned 60 so now our joint membership is £99. Living close to Fountains Abbey means we can go for a free stroll with my mum (NT member) there instead of paying £57!!!
I actually find the prices rather elitist, they must stop a lot of ordinary folk enjoying and learning about our history.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
We live in North Yorkshire but have been NTS members for years. I have turned 60 so now our joint membership is £99. Living close to Fountains Abbey means we can go for a free stroll with my mum (NT member) there instead of paying £57!!!
I actually find the prices rather elitist, they must stop a lot of ordinary folk enjoying and learning about our history.
Or instead of being gifted and looked after by the N/T to give pleasure to those willing to support the upkeep them for the future they could have been knocked down and had some lovely housing estates built in their place. 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
We're members of Scottish NT bit cheaper than English NT, but we have far fewer properties to visit, especially where I live in the Highlands. But we enjoy goung Inverewe gardens as well as all the castles in Aberdeenshire.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The National Trust also owns, manages and protects vast acreages of coast and countryside which it allows free access to. The houses came along as a bit of a sideline because they came with the countryside.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
The prices 'at the door' are ridiculous and must deter lots of non members - however, the membership is fantastic value....if you use it. Before we retired we were members but left as we weren't using a lot due to our busy lives and we mostly holidayed abroad.

Now we make lots of use of it and it is cheaper then ever with the over 60's discount membership.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We have had excellent value for money with our membership. It was a 21st birthday present from my beloved Grandmother to us both. It was Life Membership, no idea how much it cost but we are 35 years in and hoping for many more years of membership. We always think of Gran on our visits and raise our tea cup to her in the cafe after a tour. She was a very astute lady.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Annual membership forms good value for money, especially if you use it on a regular basis. I agree that single entry payments can seem a little expensive. These however are for access to the actual houses and buildings whilst access to grounds is normally free or for a parking fee. Families can still get a day out, explore, picnic and enjoy for practically nothing. Maintaining those estates will not be cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back