Name on V5C (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
We are heading to Europe for the first time at the beginning of September.
I have realised that my first name on V5C is Jerry whereas my passport and driving licence has my full name of Jeremy.
is this likely to pose a problem?
If so have I got enough time to send to DVLA for it to be changed?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I would not have thought so. I have travelled Europe on motorbikes, cars, motorhomes for 50 years and never been asked for a V5. Even if asked, you just say Jerry is short for Jeremy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
V5 is registered keeper. Does not mean the owner, driver or anything else. It is the person responsible for any legal issues.
I can't see it being an issue? But am I am not a Lawyer versed in all things in all EU countries so may well be wrong.

If it were me I wouldn't be panicking too much. Providing the address is correct, then no issues in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We are heading to Europe for the first time at the beginning of September.
I have realised that my first name on V5C is Jerry whereas my passport and driving licence has my full name of Jeremy.
is this likely to pose a problem?
If so have I got enough time to send to DVLA for it to be changed?
No - but the forum could provide a very long list of other things to be anxious about. Better just crack on and not worry about anything - ooh, except the gas level, water level, battery level, toilet chemicals, tyres, gearbox, 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
V5 is registered keeper. Does not mean the owner, driver or anything else. It is the person responsible for any legal issues.
I can't see it being an issue? But am I am not a Lawyer versed in all things in all EU countries so may well be wrong.

If it were me I wouldn't be panicking too much. Providing the address is correct, then no issues in my opinion.

Which lawyer is? If anyone tells you so keep your cheque book in your pocket.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I have never used my first name, but it is on my birth certificate, driving licence passport etc, have memberships just with the name i use or it's diminutive, only problem i have ever had was with a jobsworth at the post office when a parcel arrived with the name i use. ended up with a supervisor, and her getting abuse from other customers waiting to be attended to.
My bug bear is not being able to put both names on the V5 we own and keep the motorhome jointly

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2024
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach adva
Exp
I am a newbie
I have never used my first name, but it is on my birth certificate, driving licence passport etc, have memberships just with the name i use or it's diminutive, only problem i have ever had was with a jobsworth at the post office when a parcel arrived with the name i use. ended up with a supervisor, and her getting abuse from other customers waiting to be attended to.
My bug bear is not being able to put both names on the V5 we own and keep the motorhome jointly
Has anyone forgot to take v5 with them whilst in France? What should I do ?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Has anyone forgot to take v5 with them whilst in France? What should I do ?
I've kept two exact colour photocopies permanently in all my vehicles.
In 50 years of very frequent touring abroad I've never been asked to show one.
Don't forget that it also applies to a m/bike that's carried with you and a Toad.
The only time you might be asked to show one is if transporting a motorbike because they may want proof that you're not a dealer taking it abroad to sell. I've often trailered my historic m/bikes to foreign rallies but never been asked to prove ownership of them.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've been travelling to Europe for 50 years,not once been asked for any documents although I do take them with me now. When I was 21 I did take dealer's loan car to France and Belgium without documents or actually even permission. No problems but I wouldn't do it now.😀

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have been asked once for documents, in Spain, but i had crossed a single white line.

Upvote 0

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Much better to have the V5 with a slightly different forename than send it off to the DVLA, disappearing into their system and you having no V5 at all to take away with you.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Well, I would have been in the camp of never been asked for my V5 until last week when pulled by the German Police entering Germany as part of Euros security measures as per my post at the time. Not sure what would have happened if I didn’t have them. Don’t think the name would make an issue.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Interesting the french v5 equivalent carte gris alows more that one name, our camper has both mine and my wife name

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back