My TomTom GO 50 is having a hissy fit - switches on but won't load. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've turned it on, waited, turned it off, waited and turned it on again several times but it sticks at this, the first screen to come up.
It's about 12 years old and has been 100% until today.

TomTom screen.JPG

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Would you normally have an sd card in it with, say the maps on it?

If so, it's not finding the card.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
No extra memory card. There's a slot where one can be inserted but I've never needed extra memory.
In the pic above it shows Total memory 498MB and Available memory 489MB so I assume there's still space on the internal memory card.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No extra memory card. There's a slot where one can be inserted but I've never needed extra memory.
In the pic above it shows Total memory 498MB and Available memory 489MB so I assume there's still space on the internal memory card.
Probably not your problem but doubtful if 498Mb is enough to install new maps, if available.
Is there a hard reset option?
You'll probably lose all your data though.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Probably not your problem but doubtful if 498Mb is enough to install new maps, if available.
Is there a hard reset option?
You'll probably lose all your data though.
Thanks, but I have all of continental Europe on there which will do me. Yes I've done the reset as shown on the TomTom 'Help' website (hold down the 'On' button for 20 seconds) but no different so I'll do it again..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Have you by any chance installed a regular update lately?
Im asking because my last Tom Tom Camper was written off after I installed the upfdate and it basically crashed and would no longer work.
After some to-ing and fro-in with Tom Tom they basically said "nah mate' out of warrenty, but here's a 10% voucher off a new one!" (it was just 20 months old)
I was too polite to tell them where to stick their voucher and old device (sideways too) but since then have just bought a cheapo Chinese box that lasts about 3 years before getting cranky but only costs about £70 so much"better value.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Press and hold the On/Off button until your device restarts. Keep the button pressed until you hear the drums, then release
I did that thanks - see my post #5

Have you by any chance installed a regular update lately?
Nope. I haven't done any updates for a year or so.

I think it's time to buy a new GPS as I've had this one about 12 years but the range of choices is brain-fogging. I don't need one where height, width etc. can be entered, nor Bluetooth as I don't have a Smartphone and the radio (which works O.K. but I never use) in my m/h is probably the original fitment and only has a slot for cassettes. :giggler:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My original tomtom just gave up mid trip.
Just went blank screen.
Bin fodder and a new one bought.
That lives in a cupboard somewhere in the house now....stupid long times for map updates... 7 hours or so then another ½hr to install.
Only use Google maps now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back