MPPT Charge Controller Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Is there an add on screen that I can add to the setup which I can mount somewhere in the van to monitor battery levels etc? I had a google around but couldn't find one.

You can add a screen, but it starts to get complicated.

1714839380962.png

1714839506854.png

1714839581330.png

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Im in the Votronics duo camp and sucessfully use 2 with a total of 550w solar, initialy with FLA then Lithium. I find i have no need to individualy monitor each panel output. The total SOC is good enough for me (measured using a BMV712). I used to to do fancy things with an Arduino like monitor moving averages at 3AM and now and all sorts of things then 1 day I looked at display at it wasnt working i hadnt looked at it for 10 days. Once set up and happy you probably dont need the detail unless you do something unusual.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Victron from

CD4815AC-A824-4895-AC14-87AA0C2B7D71.jpeg

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Victron from

View attachment 893347
Wow, that install certainly saves the expense of buying a load of wiring, is it wireless?? :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2023
Worthing, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Vogue 694
Hey forum, I have x4 50w and x2 175 solar panels setup on my MH. I have finally gotten around to hooking them up to the leisure batteries (x2 lithium).

With this setup I am going to need x2 solar charge controllers. One for 50w bank and the other for the 175w bank. MPPT is the best option apparently in terms of technology?

Can anyone recommend what are good brans / features to look out for here?

The Solar panels are Renogy. Theres no need to brand match here is there?

Appreciate your input!
Hi.
Victron MPPT controller for sure. I previously had a Sargent MPPT controller which I swapped for a Victron controller which is definitely better by far.

Jul 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer 508 CL
What are the load voltages of your panels?
If they are fairly close you could use a single controller for all the panel. Even if they are not that close a bit of loss may be acceptable to you.
OCV it’s called, open circuit voltage - But the OCV Voltages are one thing and the panel capacity is another. You can’t mix panels of different wattage as al panels will reduce to the output of the lowest wattage panel. He can couple the 175’s and 50’s separately but not together.

Jul 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Hi poindexter. I know nothing of these things but have been recommended the Victron range for the solar panel I am going to get fitted. There is a large range to choose from!
Very pricey, Victron gear, but it has a good reputation. Personally I'd look for recommendations for cheaper kit.

Jul 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
The votronic one has 4 settings via dip switches that cover the 4 battery types, lead, gel, lithium and the other one, these are present and couldn't be modified.

I swapped mine for a victron so I had more control over the charge voltages required for lifePo4, I didn't want to charge the battery to 14.6 volts on each charge cycle, in order to prolong the battery life and that was the only option with votronic.

It caused issues with my battery BMS cutting out as the cell max were set to 3.65 and they are never all the same, one cell hit 3.65 volts first, the bms cut in and stopped the total battery getting to the 14.6v as the other cells were 3.55- 3.63 v

My advice, stick to victron .
My Votronic has a choice of charge voltages for lithium batteries. My battery needs 14.4V but my Votronic unit offers 14.2 & 14.6 as well iirc.

I'd recommend Votronic on the basis of their after-sales. I've recently had a problem with mine, under warranty, fortunately. I contacted the converter of my van, who supplied & fitted. I also emailed Victron.

The van converter, CMC, has supplied a replacement unit free of charge, which I've fitted & all good.

However, Votronic also offered to replace the failed unit. When I said that CMC were going to sort it, they told me they had generated a warranty order for me anyway, and would keep it open until I confirmed that all was well & I didn't need their help. Perfect!

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
Ì
My Votronic has a choice of charge voltages for lithium batteries. My battery needs 14.4V but my Votronic unit offers 14.2 & 14.6 as well iirc.

I'd recommend Votronic on the basis of their after-sales. I've recently had a problem with mine, under warranty, fortunately. I contacted the converter of my van, who supplied & fitted. I also emailed Victron.

The van converter, CMC, has supplied a replacement unit free of charge, which I've fitted & all good.

However, Votronic also offered to replace the failed unit. When I said that CMC were going to sort it, they told me they had generated a warranty order for me anyway, and would keep it open until I confirmed that all was well & I didn't need their help. Perfect!
Yea just had a look at the manual and they have changed, but the victron offers complete customisation for all the settings, absorption and the rest, it's just a more advanced unit from a customisation point of view.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Ì

Yea just had a look at the manual and they have changed, but the victron offers complete customisation for all the settings, absorption and the rest, it's just a more advanced unit from a customisation point of view.
That's really good if you want to meddle with all of that stuff. I'm much happier just to get a good piece of kit, fit it and not take on a new hobby of Bluetooth this and that..

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
That's really good if you want to meddle with all of that stuff. I'm much happier just to get a good piece of kit, fit it and not take on a new hobby of Bluetooth this and that..
You can just select the program you want with the recommended settings for your battery type. You do need to use an app and Bluetooth though.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
You can just select the program you want with the recommended settings for your battery type. You do need to use an app and Bluetooth though.
Exactly.. And that's what all of my Votronic kit does.
But I do understand that other people like to get more involved with the settings.

OP
OP
poindexter
Oct 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Jumbo
You can add a screen, but it starts to get complicated.

View attachment 893227

View attachment 893229

View attachment 893231
Im not a fan of all this modern high res screen stuff you know. Its expensive and a bit OTT IMO. Im not a fogie either.

I just want to see the basic measurements of my system. In classic fashion. Something like this:

1715019036257.png

Im gonna start another post on this. Ive got a banging idea for how to monitor my entire electrical system. It might just include a flux capacitor. If I have time.

Where were going, we dont need... roads.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back