Motorhome & PVC Modding - Accessories & Discount Codes (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Knowing you @Minxy Girl, that perhaps exactly what it is for. Where have you installed the condom dispenser Mel?
No, I'm not a swinger :D2 and too old to have to worry about the need for a condom :( ... although I hear some of them are more 'interesting' nowadays and meant not just for birth control! :p

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
No, I'm not a swinger :D2 and too old to have to worry about the need for a condom :( ... although I hear some of them are more 'interesting' nowadays and meant not just for birth control! :p

Perhaps so Mel! Personally, I do like the smell of burning rubber!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
At risk of over exciting @Minxy Girl & @ludo - todays addition involves strapping things down! :giggle:
Being us though ... it's a gas bottle :roflmto:

DSCF7968.JPG

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
On a bumpy trip across some rough motorway in Belgium our original German steel gas bottle managed to jump over the fixing feet in the gas locker :eek: even though firmly strapped in, so some modifications were required for peace of mind for our replacement Safefill bottle. Firstly Mr Wombles added some dense foam (gym flooring squares) sections glued together with Evostik glue which sit neatly in the brackets to make the bottle fit more snugly:

DSCF7953.jpg

DSCF7955.jpg

It stays put just sprung into place

DSCF7961.JPG

Then as well as the foam inserts he used Fiamma (Carry Bike) straps under the feet then fitted over the top of the bottle to make sure it can't ever jump up & out:

DSCF7963.JPG

DSCF7967.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper PVC
Exp
Since 2014
All fitted now & very happy as they all work well:

I love those handles, they look factory-fit (y)(y)

I've also kitted out my van with that spongy grip mat stuff to stop the rattles, got mine for £1 a roll in Tesco in their "odds and sods isle". I also wrap the oven shelf and grill pan in some of it too :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I love those handles, they look factory-fit (y)(y)

I've also kitted out my van with that spongy grip mat stuff to stop the rattles, got mine for £1 a roll in Tesco in their "odds and sods isle". I also wrap the oven shelf and grill pan in some of it too :)
Thank you - glad you like them :) As they are permanent there was quite a bit of pressure to find ones that wouldn't look too odd.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Yup, I know where you're coming from!

I also really like that drying handle/rail at the back.

Now wondering where I can install something like that in mine :LOL:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At risk of over exciting @Minxy Girl & @ludo - todays addition involves strapping things down! :giggle:
Being us though ... it's a gas bottle :roflmto:
:D

I hate those stupid straps that come with the gas bottle holder brackets as its nigh on impossible to pull them tight and stop them slipping, I put some of the drawer anti-slip stuff under the straps and once I've tightened them I then push a small wedge behind the strap which takes the slack out and makes them really tight. We've not had an issue with them 'jumping' out though but we have steel bottles.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
:D

I hate those stupid straps that come with the gas bottle holder brackets as its nigh on impossible to pull them tight and stop them slipping, I put some of the drawer anti-slip stuff under the straps and once I've tightened them I then push a small wedge behind the strap which takes the slack out and makes them really tight. We've not had an issue with them 'jumping' out though but we have steel bottles.
It was a full 11kg steel bottle that jumped :eek: & although lighter at least the Safefill bottle would do less damage but either moving is dangerous so well strapped in now as agree that the standard brackets aren't brilliant. Using the grip mat material is a good idea so may add a bit of that (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Using the grip mat material is a good idea so may add a bit of that (y)
Put a little bit on each of the base brackets too, it means the bottom isn't sitting on 'slippy' plastic.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Will you have the pre-cut sections for the door steps too? Did you decide to glue yours or fix it another way or isn't there enough clearance to leave it fixed when the step goes in?
Thinking about it for ours as would be easier to keep clean than the original slotted aluminium surface. Do you have them for sale online as well as at Shows?
For anyone who is wondering what this is about see post 680 here
Sorry for the late reply, Been busy.
I can make any size you want. Just send me a message with what you want and your postcode and I will get you a price

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Sorry for the late reply, Been busy.
I can make any size you want. Just send me a message with what you want and your postcode and I will get you a price
Thank you - think we have some offcuts that we can try but that might be useful for others.
Do you have to remove yours before putting the step in?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
On a bumpy trip across some rough motorway in Belgium our original German steel gas bottle managed to jump over the fixing feet in the gas locker :eek: even though firmly strapped in, so some modifications were required for peace of mind for our replacement Safefill bottle. Firstly Mr Wombles added some dense foam (gym flooring squares) sections glued together with Evostik glue which sit neatly in the brackets to make the bottle fit more snugly:

View attachment 297004

View attachment 297005

It stays put just sprung into place

View attachment 297006

Then as well as the foam inserts he used Fiamma (Carry Bike) straps under the feet then fitted over the top of the bottle to make sure it can't ever jump up & out:

View attachment 297007

View attachment 297009
More Fiamma (Carry Bike) straps being put to good use again fixed under the feet to secure this 5kg steel bottle:

DSCF7971.JPG

DSCF7982.JPG

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Lifting bottles in & out of this sideways locker is a bit awkward & although a lot easier now (with the largest bottle being a lighter Safefill one) to reduce the risk of damage to the bottom of the locker entry frame we wanted to add a protective strip - bought this aluminium angle for £7.25.

s-l500.jpg

Corners rounded with a file:

DSCF7990.JPG

Glued into place making sure it doesn't interfere with the seal on the door:

DSCF7995.JPG

DSCF7996.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Those Funsters who have already done this will know what this marking out is for ...

DSCF8004.JPG

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Had to be a bit brave to do this but great idea so thank you to those posted previously about their versions of this (y)

DSCF8011.JPG

It's a gas bottle inspection & access point to turn the gas on & off without having to empty the under bed garage:

DSCF8022.JPG

DSCF8018.JPG

DSCF8021.JPG

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Needed to buy the right size hole saw & not planning on doing this often so went for a Silverline 427630 holesaw
one Amazon product ASIN B000LFYR4O £10.70

DSCF8005.JPG

There are cheaper versions but wanted a tough one with a rubber seal so chose Osculati marine inspection hatch 102mm in black - most chandlery shops sell these for around £6 plus extra for stainless steel screws. Suggest a bead of silicone around the hole opening before screwing the hatch frame into place to make sure the locker remains a sealed unit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Needed to buy the right size hole saw & not planning on doing this often so went for a Silverline 427630 holesaw
one Amazon product ASIN B000LFYR4O £10.70

View attachment 297729

There are cheaper versions but wanted a tough one with a rubber seal so chose Osculati marine inspection hatch 102mm in black - most chandlery shops sell these for around £6 plus extra for stainless steel screws. Suggest a bead of silicone around the hole opening before screwing the hatch frame into place to make sure the locker remains a sealed unit.
I used the old fashioned method of drilling holes and then using a jigsaw to cut out the bits between them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Wouldn't it be safer to have left the has bottle in an enclosed space rather than introducing a large hole?
It is still in the gas locker which it is only accessible by opening the large door to it which is on the side so you have to move anything you've got stored inside the rear of the camper to do so, putting in the hatch means that you can get your arm in to turn the gas off/on easily. I did this on mine previously (mines on the opposite side of the camper). These hatches have a seal on the screw in cover so the locker is still safe. Since I did it I've put a kitchen cupboard handle on my hatch to make it easier to turn.

gas hatch.png

gas access handle 2.JPG

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Wouldn't it be safer to have left the has bottle in an enclosed space rather than introducing a large hole?
It is a very useful hole & we wouldn't have added this unless we were sure it is as safe as without it. It's not an original idea from us but a popular one on here chosen by @Minxy Girl & other Funsters plus we have seen versions of this many times on German & French Facebook groups.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Some new toys to try for the washing up:

DSCF8034.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Joseph Joseph stainless steel cutlery drainer Amazon product ASIN B01N5JRY8G £15.99. Have had plastic ones with holes in the bottom previously but like that this one captures any excess water & pulls apart easily for cleaning.

DSCF8039.JPG

DSCF8040.JPG

Store away neatly when not in use:

DSCF8042.JPG

Will add a section of grip mat underneath to make sure it doesn't move around when travelling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Usually put wet dishes to dry on a clean tea towel but to reduce the amount of wet items & washing going to try this large draining mat Amazon product ASIN B01BPDXKQ6 £13.30 which captures excess water then folds to pour it away:

DSCF8037.JPG

It will give more protection to the worktop than a tea towel too & just needs wiping to keep it clean. There is a smaller version Amazon product ASIN B01BPDXKZC £10.24 but it would be full with just a few cups & not big enough for plates or pans.
Both available in green too to add a splash of colour:

91UKuGl21yL._SL1500_.jpg

Although the links are to Amazon whose prices vary it's worth considering Lakeland too https://www.lakeland.co.uk/in-the-kitchen/kitchen-storage-and-organising/sink/dish-racks,-mats-and-drainers/ as if the same price & enough for free delivery (£40+) or buying in their shops they offer a 3 year guarantee on all products (y)
There are lots of cheaper versions of this type of flexible draining mat in many colours which may work just as well. There are also rigid plastic versions but these can be difficult to store if you have limited space.
If drying up straight after washing up then just stacking wet dishes in a plastic bowl works well. It's easy to carry two bowls of the same size together & handy to use at washing up sinks on campsites too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Another new toy has just arrived from Germany :nod: that we ordered five days ago - the Stopsy http://wohnmobil-caravan-zubehoer-s...y-Tuerstopper-Kastenwagen-Schiebetuer::1.html
Not cheap but know a few Funsters who have this & rate it highly so we contacted the manufacturer who agreed a 10% discount code for members 10MHfun2018 which will be valid until the end of December so maybe an ideal Xmas present for your van too?!

1_0.jpg

1.jpg

This is to add an extra additional stainless steel stop point for the sliding door on van conversions - much as we love the door wide open on sunny days there are times when we just want it partially open & tried the tennis ball in the runner trick suggested on the forum but doesn't work well enough especially when on a slope so wanted this as a more effective solution.
This small manufacturing company also make a stainless steel drip guard "Regsy" for over the door but they are unable to post that to the UK.
Yay - we finally got around to fixing our Stopsy! When we bought it the weather changed & got very cold so thought it best to wait until warmer to ensure the adhesive took well. For anyone who bought one previously & also hasn't fitted it yet be aware that the adhesive is excellent stuff but does have an expiry date which for us was May. No photos of it fitted yet as did it with the door past the fixing position then shut the door as have to allow 24 hours before use - suggest having an extra pair of hands to stop the door from rolling back if you can. Very simple & easy to fit - clean surfaces with meths, apply adhesive to Stopsy & press into place cleaning off any excess straight away. Most difficult was us agreeing how big the opening should be - it was about 48cm in the end as that lines up with the end of the kitchen unit & is just big enough for us both to step out easily. There's still enough distance to swing the sliding door to close properly too.
Have asked the manufacturer for a discount code again for this year just in case anyone wants one of these handy things :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
With the warm weather decided to do more sticking - this is the only flattish spot to add the disc for the sat. nav. :
DSCF8160.JPG

Might be useful to know this location for anyone ordering a LHD Relay/Jumper or Ducato:

DSCF8162.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
There isn't a big choice of suitable locations (has to be 15cm down from the ceiling when wall mounting) so went for a 2 in 1 Kidde 10SCO smoke & carbon monoxide alarm Amazon product ASIN B00M1Q70K4 £18.90 instead of separate units. If you try this one be aware that it goes into test mode when you pull out the battery strip which is not surprising but don't drop it when it starts talking to you like Mr Wombles almost did! :roflmto: I forgot to warn him.

DSCF8154.JPG

Used very strong Heavy Duty Velcro Amazon product ASIN B00186Q7XY £10.45 as didn't want to risk screwing into the bathroom enclosure. It is available in smaller sizes & cheaper packs & only needed a small amount for this but good value size & can be cut & used for so many things.
71RwNBnsneL._SL1302_.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back