Motorhome prices are still nuts! (2 Viewers)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Your Motorhome will have dropped in value against a new vehicle, so if you paid £50k five years ago a new model will probably be £90-£100k therefore your MoHo has devalued by 50%

He still has the original asset value, so not lost a penny!

Your point is to replace with a brand new one, he’d need to spend 50% more. That’s not relevant to his assets value though.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Your Motorhome will have dropped in value against a new vehicle, so if you paid £50k five years ago a new model will probably be £90-£100k therefore your MoHo has devalued by 50%
Woah, I felt great before reading your post. 😂

Oh well, I didn’t buy it to worry about the value I suppose.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If he sells it for what he bought it for, how can it have been devalued by 50%. It hasn't.
Easy one Jim to buy the same MoHo which is say double the price you only have half the money for a new one therefor the asset has devalued. It has also devalued in inflation terms £39000 using inflation is £52,660

We all kid ourselves my favorite track car would sell what I purchased it for in 2006 @£30k that £30k is now worth £49k

So has my asset diminished in value yes it has… But I don’t tell my wife that I tell her I can get my investment back on that asset yet the reality is I’m £19k poorer

I suspect the finance wiz kids on here would agree

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Bit like £100k in the bank earning 5% and saying I've made £5k this year no You've lost £5k if inflation has been 10%.
Best get it out now and spend it on a new van:giggle:
But then you’ve lost the whole lot?

Leave the £100k in there and wait for the rate to improve, as when rates do improve you’ve nothing to put in.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
But then you’ve lost the whole lot?

Leave the £100k in there and wait for the rate to improve, as when rates do improve you’ve nothing to put in.
Only if it hasn't diminished in true value as to be realistically valueless by the time rates improve (short medium term looks like rates only heading one way,but on the bright side same with inflation, although still likely to be a net loss especially if you're paying tax on interest)

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
So many of the figures quoted in this thread have been for 'Nominal Value' not 'Real Value', including inflation.

This makes much of the discussion meaningless.

Grow up Boys and Girls.
Grow up? That’s a bit strong. Are you the oracle where no one else’s opinions matter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Also, you might want to consider what the insurance Company will give you if the MH is written off. Say you bought a £100,000 MH and just as you got it home it catches fire and is completely destroyed, do you think your friendly insurance co. is going to write a cheque for £100,000 ? I'd suspect not.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Also, you might want to consider what the insurance Company will give you if the MH is written off. Say you bought a £100,000 MH and just as you got it home it catches fire and is completely destroyed, do you think your friendly insurance co. is going to write a cheque for £100,000 ? I'd suspect not.
Yes especially on a new one as for comfort it's new for old up to 3 years with mileage below 15k I think. For second hand then you would have to prove it's worth by looking at the market and finding same MH for sale for them to pay up.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Gap insurance etc can be a good move for the first few years, I think you can get up to 4 years. When I had the break in I had this on my transporter, the insurance company gave me retail price and the Gap took it back to the price it was when new. If I recall correctly it was about £6k But don’t get it from your dealer go direct.

This is who I used no mess no fuss and the premium for the new transporter was much the same unlike insurance renewal!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Gap insurance etc can be a good move for the first few years, I think you can get up to 4 years. When I had the break in I had this on my transporter, the insurance company gave me retail price and the Gap took it back to the price it was when new. If I recall correctly it was about £6k But don’t get it from your dealer go direct.

This is who I used no mess no fuss and the premium for the new transporter was much the same unlike insurance renewal!

Not now
1000014770.jpg

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our 2013 van is coming up to 5 years of being owned by us.

Out of interest, I put a search in to see how much they were now and managed to find an identical model for mileage and age.

I originally expected to lose about 3k a year in depreciation, which was acceptable based on the fact we use it so much and love having it.

So, how much have we actually lost?

The answer is nothing as it’s the same price as when we bought it. 🫣

That’s nuts!

I know Covid didn’t help, but how can a vehicle depreciate so little? The prices must drop soon surely?

When I bought a 5 year old Westfalia California I expected some depreciation - it's basically a converted VW Caravelle. 10 years later I sold it and got almost what I paid for it. Despite it having 15 years of wear and tear from camping trips, and starting to show body rust so it would soon need welding and paint. New Calis cost north of £80k and that seems daft too.

Soaring new prices must be helping to shore up used prices.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thinks are definitely changing as a my local dealers have huge stocks they can’t shift and are offering a piddly 2k off, it’s definitely a buyers market now, I just don’t think the dealers are ready to accept it just yet 😁
Are you sure, our new van arrived in UK mid April and we had to wait till mid may to pick it up to get a slot when dealer had space. Certainly lots of vans on forecourt now but still people buying.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Thinks are definitely changing as a my local dealers have huge stocks they can’t shift and are offering a piddly 2k off, it’s definitely a buyers market now, I just don’t think the dealers are ready to accept it just yet 😁
The total number of motorhomes for sale on Autotrader is now over 12k. That’s a 25% increase in 3 months. I understand the typical average over previous years was more like 8k. There are also lots of discounts being openly offered on adverts which have not been about for the last few years. The next few months are usually when lots of sales are made so it will be interesting how it shakes out.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Easy one Jim to buy the same MoHo which is say double the price

No, you are adding another transaction, why not include the next sale and the one after that before you calculate your devaluation :doh:

Simply If you buy for 50 and three years later can sell for 50. There has been no devaluation. What other things cost is irrelevant, how do you know what his plans are after a sale?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
No, you are adding another transaction, why not include the next sale and the one after that before you calculate your devaluation :doh:

Simply If you buy for 50 and three years later can sell for 50. There has been no devaluation. What other things cost is irrelevant, how do you know what his plans are after a sale?
Not sure it works like that £50k now is worth less in three years time, it’s still £50k with that I agree

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Basically going back to the beginning of this thread motorhomes are too expensive for alot of people now. They have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. I expect to see many dealers fall by the wayside over the next few years.

Motorhomes like cars will become only available to the elite

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
What would have been the norm say in 2015 to buy a van for 50k keep it 3 years then trade in for the same new van? How much would it have cost to change?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the truth is that the value of any asset is what you can sell it for. The past few years have been very strange due to shortages of new vans and a big increase in popularity post covid. The next few years could continue the same it could be a more normal market or there could be a surprisingly big drop in value. The market will dictate.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Just a thought but with property prices where they are is older people downsizing and being left with large cash pots & also middle aged people who have about finished the mortgage & then inherited property ,going to sustain the market for new(er) MH's that will inturn sustain the older vehicle market ?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Just a thought but with property prices where they are is older people downsizing and being left with large cash pots & also middle aged people who have about finished the mortgage & then inherited property ,going to sustain the market for new(er) MH's that will inturn sustain the older vehicle market ?
I downsized. Effectively buying a smaller house in a better area so there was no large cash pot left over.

The bottleneck for downsizing seems to be lack of bungalows. They fetch silly high prices because developers stopped building new bungalows. Meanwhile, the demand for older 4 and 5 bedroom family houses with big gardens is strong. Prices are still going up. It's a safer asset class from an investment perspective. If or when interest rates are lowered, house price inflation will surely go up. At the same time the alternative "equity release" will become more attractive as an option. Maybe equity release could fuel MH sales.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back