Motorhome meets caravan. Loch lomand road.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I don’t take my van down this road. Wonder why.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Both going way too fast for that road, actually lucky it wasn't and HGV somthing a little bigger and more solid. That road is fine so long has your speed is kept down.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
It won't play for me but if it's the section of the A82 for about 5 miles north of Tarbet its one of the worst roads I've been on. Its a A road but there are sections where it's just not possible for 2 wide vehicles to pass. I'd rather be in a single track road with passing places than that section. You could be the best driver in the world but when there's so many idiots coming the other way there's a good chance your day could be ruined. Inveraray to Dalmally is a much more pleasant drive.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Strange.

It won’t play for me. Just the still, together with a non-operating “play” symbol.
I opened his profile in a new window, then his video showed as the 3rd or 4th one in. Played ok from there.

I think they are both to blame. Both going too fast and making assumptions about right of way.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Video wouldn't run in Safari but managed to get it to run by copying the URL(?) and pasting to a new tab in Firefox. It certainly looks like both vehicles were maybe going too fast for that particular section of road with low walls on both sides close to the edge of the road but it looks like the moho might have had more room on his side than the tugger had on his. Amazing dismantling of the caravan though . . . .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
2nd caravan was well over the white line as tugger took the bend much wider than the 1st one did IMHO.
Motorhome driver had no room to move over to the left as there was a stone wall alongside.
I feel for both parties, it must have been a hellover shock, and spoilt there time away.
Even with this dash cam footage, it would be interesting to hear what the fault verdict was from the insurance companies.
We came home north to south along that road which I had driven by car many times, but in The MH it was a very scary drive, there are a few spots with rock faces jutting out and kerbside walls that would be impossible to navigate safely if an HGV/Coach/caravan did take more of the road than the white line allows.
Plus if you take it slow & safely you can become concerned of a stream of cars building behind you, and there are not many opportunities to pull in to let them pass at certain parts.
Its just not worth the stress, I will always take the eastern side route past Loch Lomond in future if going up north with the MH, leave The A82 to the logging trucks.:eek:
LES

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hope the Tugger had plenty of Gaffer Tape with him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
If the motorhome driver had been paying attention he would have seen the first caravan was over themiddle of the road. That's not a fault of the caravan driver the road is too narrow for 2 wide vehicles but if you don't know that road you assume 2 lanes mean keep going. That part should be down to a single lane with a giveaway on one side. People assume you don't stop and give way on an A road with 2 lanes. I've had to stop there when an hgv was coming in the opposite direction and had people tooting behind me.
The motorhome driver was at fault. Caravan was on the narrow bridge section before him. Both were going too fast though for that section of road.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting comments, I have in the past said it’s one of very few roads I would never drive on again in my motorhome and most replies suggested I should learn to drive its fine to use

Still off limits to me and anybody else I can divert

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We find the simplest thing to do is stop in layby until a coach passes going in same direction and then follow

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Strange.

It won’t play for me. Just the still, together with a non-operating “play” symbol.

Ditto

We're obviously not Tik Tokers :rofl:
Hover your mouse over the top right hand corner of the video. The users name and a button called 'profile' will appear. Click on profile and it will open a new tab/window. From there you can see all the users videos. Click on the one you want and it should work.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Even with this dash cam footage, it would be interesting to hear what the fault verdict was from the insurance companies.

They'd probably go 50/50. They wouldn't be bothered about discussing the finer points of this accident.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hover your mouse over the top right hand corner of the video. The users name and a button called 'profile' will appear. Click on profile and it will open a new tab/window. From there you can see all the users videos. Click on the one you want and it should work.
Thank you. Already explained by Grommet in post #7.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
I don’t take my van down this road. Wonder why.

I take it you refer to the A82 which has some quite narrow sections along the loch?
I drive this road in an 8.6 mtr A class very frequently.
If I meet a truck or a bus coming the other way in a narrow section I simply stop which gives the other driver a much easier job of maneuvering past me.
So far never had any contact.
I also pull in at the first lay-by to let the queue behind past. I notice a lot of motorhomes and caravans don't.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner-for-t
I go via Sterling
I depends where you're heading. If you are going up the west coast towards Fort William you've got two realistic options up the A82 past Loch Lomond or the A9 to Dalwhinnie and across to Spean Bridge.
The later is often closed in winter and like A82 has some narrow lochside sections.
The A82 is the quickest route to Fort William and Loch Ness etc.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
All are going too fast for the conditions.
Camera says 40mph on the motorhome.

Both drivers should have been able to pull over/stop before the bridge, or edge past at bicycle speed.

It's interesting as it looks like a simple collision, probably leaving the motorhome with the dashcam still drivable.

1729681163389.png

It's difficult to see the point of impact, maybe the top of the Luton ?
I can't image that was only the wing mirror!
I presume the big bit of debris is from the caravan

The caravan looks like it's exploded, nothing left to salvage.

1729681335826.png

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Shore Road is horrible, normally I try and avoid it if in the MH or go through early in morning.
But to answer the question:
Tugger was already committed, so MH should have given way. MH was driving way too fast, with hazard perception skills left at home.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
All are going too fast for the conditions.
Camera says 40mph on the motorhome.

Both drivers should have been able to pull over/stop before the bridge, or edge past at bicycle speed.

That said, it's the caravans fault, as he was way over the centre line, and simply did not leave enough space for oncoming vehicles bigger than a motorbike.

Those pinch points are common, even on main roads here in Scotland (especially the Highlands). There is no centre line, but will be signage warning of vehicles in middle of road. The dashcam video starts after the warning sign, but still clearly shows the "Slow" marking on the road - something the driver didn't do, and didnt even touch the brakes until after impact. He wasn't concentrating on his driving, but too busy chatting to others in the vehicle.
Dashcam footage from the same TikTwatter, from what appears to be the same stretch of road:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Those pinch points are common, even on main roads here in Scotland (especially the Highlands). There is no centre line, but will be signage warning of vehicles in middle of road. The dashcam video starts after the warning sign, but still clearly shows the "Slow" marking on the road - something the driver didn't do, and didnt even touch the brakes until after impact. He wasn't concentrating on his driving, but too busy chatting to others in the vehicle.
Dashcam footage from the same TikTwatter, from what appears to be the same stretch of road:

Ageed, having seen the second video which shows the signs and the whites line a lot clearer (and he is driving at a sensible speed)
I'll edit out the line on fault.

The second video must have been taken soon after the crash video, as there is still some debris on the side of the road.
Judging by the skid marks of a vehicle with double rear wheels, it's not the first (close) accident at that spot that week.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Eejits the pair of them IMO, the MH driver should have seen the road narrowing between the walls and there was traffic coming, plenty of room on his left to get right over and let the loony caravan through, caravan was well out of control though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back