Motorhome heating on all night, off grid ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
NEWBIE Question
I plan to take Dollie, out all through the Winter, and might even think about wild camping, can you have your heating on all night from the gas bottle, or do you need the electric, to circulate the air, or does this come off the auxilary battery to keep you warm off site please.
Yes as i said pretty naive here hahah

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No heating for us overnight, don't need it with a good winter duvet. Whoever wakes first switches it on then jumps back into bed waiting for the van to heat. We always sleep with a window slightly open, but we are hardy Scots :)
Surely you use the timer function on your Alde Stewart :unsure:

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Surely you use the timer function on your Alde Stewart :unsure:
Actually, we don't as we never know when we are going to get up. With us it could be 5am or 9am just as easy to nip across and turn it on.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We never have heating on all night.
One time we went to France (house sitting days) we had one night at Canterbury-freezing literally, the windscreen was sheet ice early morning for our crossing and when we got to Montreuil weather was the same. Still no heating on over night!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Just out of interest - as we don't normally head off in winter so no experience but toying with idea more - how long does a gas bottle last if you were turning on heating every night on a low setting? Just after a rough idea :) I just got 4-5 years out of a 6 kg bottle that we only use for cooking i.e. gas rings & oven.

I assume you don't go for long trips. We used several 11kg bottles on our recent 2 month trip to Germany and only used the heating a couple of times on the top of mountains. Mostly it was cooking on the hob and some use of the oven plus fridge...and heating water for showers.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Book a pitch with electricity but don't hook up. Run the heating and see how it goes. If the leisure battery goes flat you can hook up to recharge it.
Running the battery flat (i.e. to below 11.5v) is not advisable but just the once is unlikely to do it any harm.
This - you'll learn about your van's offgrid stamina without any 'risk'.
I did similar with my first van - I knew nothing [still don't know much], went to Rutland Water for a few days... no EHU but as it was about 20 miles from home, I figured if battery went flat, or I ran out of gas, I could just go home.
I did learn that you shouldn't run your leisure battery completely flat, and having a second one fitted is a great upgrade.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
One thing I've done which has reduced the amount of heating is to separate the cab from the hab as even with thermal screens on all the cab windows the cab is much colder.
I bought some thermal screen material and made a curtain that separates my cab and hab.
It means I am heating a smaller better insulated area and use about a third less gas.

Upvote 0

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Our last MH was an Adria 6.8m without electric blown air heating - only gas. One bottle lasted 6 weeks in the summer in France ( I like to cook a lot) and about 4 days in Edinburgh in the winter if only using gas heating. However we always carry a small electric oil filled radiator for use on site in cold weather. Now, having a 25 ltr. underslung tank we have not yet filled up since we got it in April despite using it for about 50 nights both abroad and here in the cold weather. Gas heating is quick but electric keeps it on "tick over" effectively.
Sue

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
OWW Thanks guys for all your advise above, this is so reasuring, about everything, at present, not spent one night in her, due to the fact the servie isnt' until friday 13th of all days ! mm, after then I will be hitting the road, every Thursday to try her out locally until I feel confident

Upvote 0

Furry Paws

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily Bus
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Truma blown air system and regularly leave the heating on overnight when we are off grid.

We have two 110A leisure batteries and a separate power monitor which shows that the battery power is reduced by about 20% overnight. This can be replaced during the day by our single solar panel if the sun is out.
"If the Sun is OUT" Ha Ha!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
usually two AA batteries :whistle2:
I thought they usually used 2 AAA ones ... or is that just the smaller sized ones?:LOL:

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
I set my van temperatures the same as my flat ones at home, 18'c when in it and up and about, 14'c when out or in bed. I'm off grid in Scotland most weeks throughout winter but have gaslo, 2 leisure batteries and inboard tanks. it really depends on how your van is equipped and your personal needs/wants

Upvote 0

Markman

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
Having had many vans and caravans that we have lived in through numerous U.K. winters , you can keep the all singing all dancing blown air Truma combination and your Alde wet systems,
By far the best is the old style gas fire 🔥
Just leaving it ticking over pretty much all the time and never using the battery sapping blown air is by far the best heating system we’ve ever had.
I hope your CO detector is working well, or you have lots of vents open (letting cold air in). Open gas fires have killed many from CO poisoning over the years

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I set my van temperatures the same as my flat ones at home, 18'c when in it and up and about, 14'c when out or in bed. I'm off grid in Scotland most weeks throughout winter but have gaslo, 2 leisure batteries and inboard tanks. it really depends on how your van is equipped and your personal needs/wants
7' frost protection when out or in bed. 18' if I get cold. its off the rest of the time house stays quiet warm.
As for van boil the kettle and its warm . But have a radiator if on hook up but that is off More than on as it gets rather warm

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
NEWBIE Question
I plan to take Dollie, out all through the Winter, and might even think about wild camping, can you have your heating on all night from the gas bottle, or do you need the electric, to circulate the air, or does this come off the auxilary battery to keep you warm off site please.
Yes as i said pretty naive here hahah
My experiance as a vetran is as follows. Do not leave your heating on all night in the winter, especialy if wilding. (An oilfired electric radiator would be great if on hook up and not paying for your electricity at a metered rate. However most campsites are switching to or have already switched to metered lecce and it has become very expensive to use electricity when heating your MoHo)
The trick is to switch your heating off about an hour or so (depending on how good your insulation is ?) before you go to bed. Once snuggled up, heating is just a waste of enegy and cost. Deisel heating (webesto) is probably the cheapest followed by gas then lecce. Even with a gas heater the leisure battery will be circulating heat via a fan and this will be taking amps out of your battery during the night and needs to be carefully monitored.
Clearly, with this method the mohome is cold in the morning and someone needs to jump out of bed put the heating on and jump back into bed if its really cold. For us and our Webesto heater it takes about 15 minutes to get the inside temp up to a reasonable temp. This method saves on costs and a large draw on our leisure batteries and has worked well for us over many years. Especially as I'm the one who has to put the heating on in the morning.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
My Truma fan on its lowest speed only uses 0.3 amps/hour, as confirmed with the Victron smart shunt, so pretty negligible if left on overnight.
I don't normally leave the heating on at night as the van is to warm, but if its freezing, I've been away in minus 8-10c, I have left it on overnight.
I've been away the last couple of nights and the overnight temps outside have been 5-6c.
I've had the van around 16-18c in the evening and turned the heating off when we've gone to bed.
It's been around 10c when we've got up.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back