Motorhome blown over (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I remember a mild and particularly windy winter in the late 90s when I was on my nightly Glasgow/Warrington/Glasgow trip in my lorry. For weeks there had been few nights when there wasn't gale force winds blowing, which to be honest I preferred to the usual snow going over the hills in Southern Scotland and Cumbria.
On one night while heading south, the wind was gusting to over 90mph and on one 6 mile stretch of the M6 in Cumbria I counted 13 lorries blown over, but one incident puzzled me. Two lorries were on their side northbound, but what puzzled me was that you could stand between them and almost touch both at the same time.
On my way back to Glasgow 5 hours, the wind had died away and as I passed those 2 lorries which had been coned off, my curiosity was satisfied. They had both been parked up on the hard shoulder and been blown over. Interestingly both artics were curtain-siders which are definitely more susceptible to being blown over.
I can still feel my backside gripping onto the seat, it was scarey :whistle2:
Was it Parcelfarce you worked for by any chance as that’s the main run my mate does.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hire company said ......

We sent notifications, emails and texts to our customers warning them against driving in these extreme winds.”

In other words we'll be sending the hirers a bill for the van

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Was it Parcelfarce you worked for by any chance as that’s the main run my mate does.
No I was working for Ryder under contract to Johnsons Cleaners. Met a lorry which came up from Rugby at Lymm near Warrington where we swapped loads. Loved the job, a great company to work for (y)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
No I was working for Ryder under contract to Johnsons Cleaners. Met a lorry which came up from Rugby at Lymm near Warrington where we swapped loads. Loved the job, a great company to work for (y)
We go to a pub stop at Lymm on our way south.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We go to a pub stop at Lymm on our way south.
It's now a way point (turn right onto M56) on my road back to Mid Wales after being in Scotland :frowny: or turn left onto M6 on my way to Scotland:dance2:

Aug 24, 2022
South Killingholme, Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Gleneagle
Exp
I'm a newbie had a wobbly box when adam was a lad
I just got back from a week at RYYC Bridlington, you couldn't stand up on the slipway 2 mad buggers turned up in caravans in the middle of it brave or stupid is up for debate the car and van are covered in sand, will be spending tomorrow washing them down

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back