Motorhome blown over (1 Viewer)

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I hope this link works. The video of this rental motorhome being blown over is very frightening.
I know this road quite well and there is nowhere to shelter from the wind, but I'm not sure people take any notice of the "strong wind" warning signs.
The link seems to work if you click on it while it's still saying it's downloading.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I hope this link works. The video of this rental motorhome being blown over is very frightening.
I know this road quite well and there is nowhere to shelter from the wind, but I'm not sure people take any notice of the "strong wind" warning signs.
The link seems to work if you click on it while it's still saying it's downloading.

Jesus !!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting to see at least one car just swerve around and drive on. Even the car taking the video drove around it - but then, to be fair, might have stopped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Crikey,the way it is blown over,then blown further across the road on its side :eek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Self inflicted and easily avoided :(

1696330199305.png

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Many years ago, when traffic was much lighter, I was travelling north on the M6 early in the morning. It was very windy. Approaching Thelwall Viaduct I could blue lights and a flickering yellowish light. Getting closer I could make out a traffic cop slowing us down (we were crawling anyway) and then a gust caught him and he skidded towards us, both feet planted on the floor propelled by the wind. I open the drivers door to stop him sailing passed. The yellow flickering light was a small fire on an engine of an overturned artic. Eee we did laugh. 🥶

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
:Eeek:

Waka Kotahi said the electronic signs leading onto the Mt Cook/Aoraki highway were very clear.
“All our available electronic boards on SH8 (leading into SH80 from Fairlie, Tekapo and Omarama) had Strong Winds/Take Extra Care from Monday morning.”

Lewis hired the six-berth motorhome through Mighty Campers, a rental company of Tourism Holdings.
Tourism Holdings chief operating officer Matthew Harvey said they had been in touch with the family and offered all the support.
“Our number one priority is ensuring our guests are safe on the road and drive to the conditions.

”We sent notifications, emails and texts to our customers warning them against driving in these extreme winds.”

The driver said if there had been signs saying 'no campervans / too windy' she wouldn't have taken that road. :tmi: Though she ignored the electronic signs AND the notifications from the hire company?! That said, the electronic signs are ambiguous. If they'd said 'strong winds / closed to high sided vehicles' that might have been a bit clearer.

It must have been absolutely terrifying though.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I remember that road only to well,back in November 2012 we'd spent the day with friends in Geraldine and decided to continue to Mt Cook the following day.The further we went the windier it got so we were extremely relieved to get to the White Horse Hill campground and find a mound to shelter behind hoping that the wind had died down by morning! I got a dig in the ribs next morning to say that the wind had dropped,but it's snowing😳

The road back to Twizel,a colour photo believe it or not,

IMG_4019.jpeg

OP
OP
KiwiKampers
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I remember that road only to well,back in November 2012 we'd spent the day with friends in Geraldine and decided to continue to Mt Cook the following day.The further we went the windier it got so we were extremely relieved to get to the White Horse Hill campground and find a mound to shelter behind hoping that the wind had died down by morning! I got a dig in the ribs next morning to say that the wind had dropped,but it's snowing😳

The road back to Twizel,a colour photo believe it or not,

View attachment 818446
rb62 You were here in 2012? It's time you paid a return visit. We've cleared the snow for you.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We were at my sons house in Connecticut when hurricane Sandy struck, that’s the windiest I’ve ever experienced. JFK was closed and we got an extra few days holiday before it reopened. Everyone was warned not to go out but curiosity got the better of me, scary indeed. Even Halloween was cancelled.
Phil

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I assumed you meant that you were still waiting to drive along the Mt Cook Road.
He said there is not much that the driver could have done. I said he could have not driven on that road or waited it out.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
we came close to that in our Frankia on the AP7

My wife said she saw like a mini twister coming across just seconds before it hit us
I hate AP7 in the wind after Tarragona upto Peniscola, I was terrified and a motorhome northbound blew over the side barrier A Class nothing left of it x

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Feeling a bit nervous now. Booked on to a CL overlooking Lyme Bay next week and the Wednesday is looking a bit breezy. Don't think I'll wind out the awning.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
rb62 You were here in 2012? It's time you paid a return visit. We've cleared the snow for you.

I wish🙂 I think the prices have gone up a bit since then😳 We made sure we went for as long as possible (3 months) in case we never went back.☹️

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I remember a mild and particularly windy winter in the late 90s when I was on my nightly Glasgow/Warrington/Glasgow trip in my lorry. For weeks there had been few nights when there wasn't gale force winds blowing, which to be honest I preferred to the usual snow going over the hills in Southern Scotland and Cumbria.
On one night while heading south, the wind was gusting to over 90mph and on one 6 mile stretch of the M6 in Cumbria I counted 13 lorries blown over, but one incident puzzled me. Two lorries were on their side northbound, but what puzzled me was that you could stand between them and almost touch both at the same time.
On my way back to Glasgow 5 hours, the wind had died away and as I passed those 2 lorries which had been coned off, my curiosity was satisfied. They had both been parked up on the hard shoulder and been blown over. Interestingly both artics were curtain-siders which are definitely more susceptible to being blown over.
I can still feel my backside gripping onto the seat, it was scarey :whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back