Motorcycle fatality (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Terrible, thoughts with all those involved.
My daughters brother in law had a bike accident last Sunday outside Settle after a car apparently turned across him.
He was in surgery for 8 hours and had 40 units of blood on the day. Still not regained consciousness and likely to have life changing injuries when he recovers. Making me rethink whether or not to continue riding.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
My daughters brother in law had a bike accident last Sunday outside Settle after a car apparently turned across him.
He was in surgery for 8 hours and had 40 units of blood on the day. Still not regained consciousness and likely to have life changing injuries when he recovers. Making me rethink whether or not to continue riding.
My neighbour, biker for many years, lost his best mate in a bike crash 12 months ago, one of his sons threatened to take a sledge hammer to his bike if he didn’t get rid of it, his other two sons and his wife all wanted him to give it up as he had a serious crash himself about 5 years ago, he no longer has a bike just a big off-road truck, he’s of to Portugal in it on Tuesday, still gets his thrills.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Life has got to be worth living, I'd be quite down in the dumps without my rides to look forward to. And it may never kill me anyway 🤩

20230729_151656.jpg

We all have to die some day 😵‍💫

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Terrible news...:(

Sat at a chicane slowing junction on my pride and joy. All of a sudden..WHACK...From behind written off bike and I'm still getting my legs better 15 months on..
She was putting make up on in the mirror late for work.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012

Sat at a chicane slowing junction on my pride and joy. All of a sudden..WHACK...From behind written off bike and I'm still getting my legs better 15 months on..
In that situation she should be banned for life from driving.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
In the year 2000 my eldest brother decided to cross a roundabout over a motorway on his Blade . His illustrious career in the press industry was over as was his marriage. He spent weeks in a coma and months in bed and went from being a Greek Adonis to a something you would see from a prison camp in world war 2 . He suffered brain damage and a shattered pelvis . During “recovery” he tried to take his life , twice .

Today he is married , has a son , daughter and grandsons , holds down a good career as a NEBOSH officer and right now is touring Normandy with his missus -‘he still walks like a wonky donky. I gave up my bike after much pressure for 10 years and now and again pooter around on my cruiser - but prefer the motorhome tbh .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I hope he gets better and makes a good recovery

We need an angry 😡 icon.

Selfish bitch

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I got shunted from behind by a pickup two days ago but in our car. If I had been a motorbike he would probably have shunted me into the path of a car passing the junction at the time. I've flown gliders for years and now sail both a bit risky. It's a matter of how much you enjoy the risky thing you do were only here once!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Had a bike written off years ago in Wales.
Out for a scenic ride long straight road, old BSA 650, 2-up.
Car in front parked on otherside of road decided to U turn, started to move-hesitated-carried on……bang into the side of him.
Police prosecuted him, (we were just witnesses) said he should have checked road again half way over and would have seen us as no obstructions!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just met a guy run over by a Tesla on his motorbike. The Tesla evidently interpreted his single tail light as being a car much farther away than he was, on his bike!

This technology is not safe to rely on yet!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just met a guy run over by a Tesla on his motorbike. The Tesla evidently interpreted his single tail light as being a car much farther away than he was, on his bike!

Are you saying that the Tesla driver was unable to see the difference as well? It sounds odd to me. Our car has proximity sensors it doesn't mean I don't brake until they cut in

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

Don't want to go against him or you on this but I find that tough to swallow and am calling g him out as a little BS from someone...maybe even to him from someone else.
One of the comments I made when. I got smashed in the back was if she was driving a tesla it wouldn't have happened.
On autopilot it would have stopped...and if she was driving overriding autopilot it beeps and judder like bloody hell. But will carry on if you insist.

So 2 things...one it wasnt the cars fault and 2 the car driver ignored the warnings.

Teslas don't look for lights they see objects and they clearly show a motorbike or pedestrian in the way on the screens that can be analysed .

Who did the investigation and analysis of the tesla...they can't just rock up and dive in... they have to have permission from them and I think also tesla. Gdpr and all that.

but I do agree it's not to be relied on yet...I think most would agree.

Same as a woman driving to work putting make up on isn't.

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I was just watching i video of friend of friends son funeral who was killed on Trafford park. I was cleaning my iPhone up .

Inquest said he hit close to 100 mph in a 30. Or something along those lines.

Woman pulled out of a junction, police said she would of had little chance of seeing him.

View attachment 800495
Under 25s have less fear of danger and consequences. Poor sod

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was just watching i video of friend of friends son funeral who was killed on Trafford park. I was cleaning my iPhone up .

Inquest said he hit close to 100 mph in a 30. Or something along those lines.

Woman pulled out of a junction, police said she would of had little chance of seeing him.

View attachment 800495
I think thats really sad for all involved and we all did stupid things when young ( in my case going around the ledge on the outside of the halls of residence a few floors up to mess up other people's rooms).
But I do hope it was mentioned at the funeral what a stupid thing it was to do not some sort of heroics to emulate if I'd slipped off the same for me.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH

Did the driver not know that they are allowed to press the brake as well.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I sold my bike a few years ago. Riding in the UK passed the point where the risk and stress was no longer worth the reward. Too many potholes, too many idiots trying to kill me, too much traffic to make the riding fun. The only time I was enjoying the bike was a couple of weeks per year when I went touring abroad... which was just eating into my Moho time.

I now mountain/gravel bike for kicks now. Keeps me fit, I can do it more often. And if I stack it, it'll probably be my fault and result in a broken bone, not death. Better risk to reward ratio.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't want to go against him or you on this but I find that tough to swallow and am calling g him out as a little BS from someone...maybe even to him from someone else.
One of the comments I made when. I got smashed in the back was if she was driving a tesla it wouldn't have happened.
On autopilot it would have stopped...and if she was driving overriding autopilot it beeps and judder like bloody hell. But will carry on if you insist.

So 2 things...one it wasnt the cars fault and 2 the car driver ignored the warnings.

Teslas don't look for lights they see objects and they clearly show a motorbike or pedestrian in the way on the screens that can be analysed .

Who did the investigation and analysis of the tesla...they can't just rock up and dive in... they have to have permission from them and I think also tesla. Gdpr and all that.

but I do agree it's not to be relied on yet...I think most would agree.

Same as a woman driving to work putting make up on isn't.
If the woman had been alert it wouldn't have happened. I think I'd sooner rely on the Tesla. A lot seem to think that the test whether technology is advantageous is whether it's perfect. When you think about it the test is really is it better than the average human.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When you think about it the test is really is it better than the average human.
Yes. But better on average for all kinds of accidents. It might be the an autonomous car is a bit worse in some areas. But if it's many times better in other areas (mostly because it reacts faster, doesn't get distracted on its phone and won't fall asleep), there's a net benefit.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If the woman had been alert it wouldn't have happened. I think I'd sooner rely on the Tesla. A lot seem to think that the test whether technology is advantageous is whether it's perfect. When you think about it the test is really is it better than the average human.

There was a example where the car decided it was better to plough into pedestrians than crash the car.

I think it was a simulation 🤔

Not sure that’s better than a human decision 🤷‍♂️

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There was a example where the car decided it was better to plough into pedestrians than crash the car.

I think it was a simulation 🤔

Not sure that’s better than a human decision 🤷‍♂️
Pretty sure a human wouldn't think, they'd just make a reflex action to avoid hitting the hard thing. There's plenty of examples of drivers swerving onto the pavement to avoid accidents and taking out peds.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
It's been proven time and again per millions of.miles driven autonomous cars are safer.

Put it this way they aren't made to take driving tests again when they are old. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back