Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
please share the recipe ?
A’s anti-mosquito spray.

5 drops each of Lavender and Eucalyptus Essential Oils mixed in a tablespoon of vodka (the oils won’t disperse in water). Add this mixture to 100ml of water in a spray bottle. Shake well every time you spray. This can go on skin, but avoid eyes and don’t let anyone drink it by mistake - label it properly. If you double the water, then double the drops (no need to increase the vodka - keep that for Apero-time!)

Another option is to add the oils in vodka mix to a light, unscented cream. However, this is not an option in direct sunlight - a cream will probably increase sunburn!

The spray has worked for us traveling in our van in Portugal, Spain & France - no guarantees for anyone else (mosquitoes just LOVE some peoples’ blood) but happy to hear of success (or failure) from Funsters who try it.

I’ve heard that an increase in the level of one of the B vitamins (google it) can change the taste of your blood to mosquitoes and might help discourage them.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Mine didn't. I binned it last year

Mosquitoes are neither attracted or detracted by light apparently.

Another Google investigation lol
Correct they are attracted by the CO2 from our breath. That said the unit did kill plenty of them and other insects.

One wonders though if not effective why so many are still made by various manufacturers and bought by the public. By now you would have thought that if ineffective the sales would have long gone. Maybe we just love gadgets and myths!🤔😊

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Correct they are attracted by the CO2 from our breath. That said the unit did kill plenty of them and other insects.

One wonders though if not effective why so many are still made by various manufacturers and bought by the public. By now you would have thought that if ineffective the sales would have long gone. Maybe we just love gadgets and myths!🤔😊
Probably because they do work on flies etc. Just not on mosquitoes. I don't like flies in the camper either but they don't bite me and I very rarely get any in the van.. but mosquitoes i get quite a lot.

And the zapper I had never caught any so it was pointless keeping it.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Probably because they do work on flies etc. Just not on mosquitoes. I don't like flies in the camper either but they don't bite me and I very rarely get any in the van.. but mosquitoes i get quite a lot.

And the zapper I had never caught any so it was pointless keeping it.
There is no doubting that the ‘zapper’ will kill the mossy - but as we have said they are unlikely to be attracted to light (although recent research is showing that not necessarily being the case https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...elled-by-light-at-different-times-of-day.aspx). In the confined space of a Motorhome though there is a likely chance of one randomly flying into the ‘zapper’ at some point, either before or after biting you!😊 I would imagine then that is why I have found them in my ‘zapper’. Come the evening, we are usually careful to ensure we don’t get many in. Anyway each to their own…!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We have just purchased a Thermacell on the recommendation of another funster. Off to the west coast of Scotland in a few weeks so will report back.
I hope you have good flynets on your windows because midges are in a different league to mosquitoes lol 😆

The one thing I like with mosquitoes... they don't crawl so if they fly at something and can't get through they might land but then they just fly away again. Flies and midges land and then crawl to gaps they can climb through .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Im Aplus blood never been bitten. Wife is 0plus gets eaten alive. Plus im hairy so that helps wife isnt 😀
I don't actually know my blood type I've never asked but I get eaten alive by mosquitoes so I'm guessing I must be type o. Although I'm moderately hairy and they still love me.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

That’s my experience as well. The small Lumi-Mosi lamp has done well with the small midge type insects, but not many mozzies have succumbed to it.
IMG_1575.jpeg

Preferred method is to leave one of the Thermacell units running in the van with another on the table outside in the evening. The odd one or two that make it through are targeted with 4000v of pure malice!

IMG_1505.jpeg

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof

Maybe face masks will be a good barrier 😂😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
French and Spanish supermarkets have a vast range of mozzie and fly killers: coils, sprays, plug-ins (both liquid and tablet), mainly by Raid or Catch and Baygon, all of which seem to have some effect. Also ant powders, if you put an external carpet down under your awning; we were on a site and after seeing another couple do it, we hosed the carpet and dried it off before packing it away!

I have used an outdoor fly preventer spray which you spray on all the edges of your awning/ outdoor room, which I think had some effect. That was in Spain.

Apr 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Im Aplus blood never been bitten. Wife is 0plus gets eaten alive. Plus im hairy so that helps wife isnt 😀

I don't actually know my blood type I've never asked but I get eaten alive by mosquitoes so I'm guessing I must be type o. Although I'm moderately hairy and they still love me.
I am in the wine trade and I once had this explained to me by a doctor: we all have things floating around in our blood (irrespective of blood type) similar to 'free radicals' and these latch onto things that enter the bloodstream and cause us to have a reaction. The main culprits are pollen (sneezing, runny eyes etc) , the anaesthetic a mosquito injects into you when it bites (swelling, itching) and this is the interesting one, an element within the skins of grapes! As red wines incorporate the skins but whites don't and Rosés have very little, some people react to red wines but not whites and are also worse with heavier reds than light ones. Everyone would be bitten by the mosquitoes but depending on an individual's level of these 'free radicals' the reaction will be higher or lower or nothing at all. So people who have a reaction to red wines (and I don't mean getting silly, some people get blotchy or breathless) tend to often also have a reaction to mosquito bites and pollen. Antihistamines are a solution - not drinking red wine is another, though we all know that's just not going to happen!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am in the wine trade and I once had this explained to me by a doctor: we all have things floating around in our blood (irrespective of blood type) similar to 'free radicals' and these latch onto things that enter the bloodstream and cause us to have a reaction. The main culprits are pollen (sneezing, runny eyes etc) , the anaesthetic a mosquito injects into you when it bites (swelling, itching) and this is the interesting one, an element within the skins of grapes! As red wines incorporate the skins but whites don't and Rosés have very little, some people react to red wines but not whites and are also worse with heavier reds than light ones. Everyone would be bitten by the mosquitoes but depending on an individual's level of these 'free radicals' the reaction will be higher or lower or nothing at all. So people who have a reaction to red wines (and I don't mean getting silly, some people get blotchy or breathless) tend to often also have a reaction to mosquito bites and pollen. Antihistamines are a solution - not drinking red wine is another, though we all know that's just not going to happen!
Now that is strange because
A, I suffer from hay-fever although not as much as I used to.

And

B, I can't drink white wine as it makes me itchy , I get itchy throat , nose and back strangely and it makes me flushed.

But I can drink red wine with no issues whatsoever

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Lit 4 or 5 of those mosquito coils on our first holiday in Corfu before we went out at night. Got back opened the door and it was like an opium den..Could not see a thing..My better half stayed outside until I opened the windows and let it clear..BUSBY..

Aug 21, 2020
Stevenage, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote low profile
Exp
Since 2013
A’s anti-mosquito spray.

5 drops each of Lavender and Eucalyptus Essential Oils mixed in a tablespoon of vodka (the oils won’t disperse in water). Add this mixture to 100ml of water in a spray bottle. Shake well every time you spray. This can go on skin, but avoid eyes and don’t let anyone drink it by mistake - label it properly. If you double the water, then double the drops (no need to increase the vodka - keep that for Apero-time!)

Another option is to add the oils in vodka mix to a light, unscented cream. However, this is not an option in direct sunlight - a cream will probably increase sunburn!

The spray has worked for us traveling in our van in Portugal, Spain & France - no guarantees for anyone else (mosquitoes just LOVE some peoples’ blood) but happy to hear of success (or failure) from Funsters who try it.

I’ve heard that an increase in the level of one of the B vitamins (google it) can change the taste of your blood to mosquitoes and might help discourage them.

IMG_6490.png

Aug 21, 2020
Stevenage, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote low profile
Exp
Since 2013
We’ve bought these non harmful satchets that was recommended, not used them yet until we reach Spain, great reviews, I’ll let you know in September if they work, you simply peg them up in the van.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
We still use those little plug in things with a tablet of noxious chemicals on them that you leave on all night. The new one is a usb plug in. The latest tablets are in Greek but smelt just the same as the usual ones. Our van is a PVC so a single device does the trick.

We spray the tropical stuff on ourselves from Boots.
We also have a small device which plugs into a USB port and takes insecticide tablets. One works well in our PVC. We plug it in to the USB socket near the ceiling and there are usually a number of dead mozzies or midges stuck on the celing just above it when we get up in the morning.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
We have just purchased a Thermacell on the recommendation of another funster. Off to the west coast of Scotland in a few weeks so will report back.
We've got one of those and they do help with midges but you are only supposed to use it outside.

Jan 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
robshawRX66lvc
I know you can get mozzie repellent spray for your body but struggling to find a room spray for the van, does such a thing exist?

Pete
Pete, Wierdly, I found a Gadget in Holland that is basicaly a spinning pair of wires atop a battery tower. How or why it works is beyond mebut watching it on a site where several people were pestered with Mozies, this unit had none. I recently found a similar device in Aldi(of all places) it works , maybe not as well and runs for around 4 hrs on a charge. no fumes, no mess, on/off as required I thought it was worth a fiver to try, not yet disappionted. Unfortunately did not keep the packing so I know not the name.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
Pete, Wierdly, I found a Gadget in Holland that is basicaly a spinning pair of wires atop a battery tower. How or why it works is beyond mebut watching it on a site where several people were pestered with Mozies, this unit had none. I recently found a similar device in Aldi(of all places) it works , maybe not as well and runs for around 4 hrs on a charge. no fumes, no mess, on/off as required I thought it was worth a fiver to try, not yet disappionted. Unfortunately did not keep the packing so I know not the name.

Do you mean something like this?

1722428784021.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back