Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I know you can get mozzie repellent spray for your body but struggling to find a room spray for the van, does such a thing exist?

Pete

OP
OP
pjay
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Were in France, and they’re here so we spray the van with Johnson’s Off an hour before going in at night.

Not really healthy but rather that than get eaten alive in your sleep!
Thanks, a possibility but a tad pricey, Let us know if youre still alive at the end of your holiday. :LOL:

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, a possibility but a tad pricey, Let us know if youre still alive at the end of your holiday. :LOL:

Pete
Sorry - just looked at the can and it’s Raid. (‘Off’ was the one we used to use in Liberia to kill off all manner of flesh biting bugs) :rofl:

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Thats why I asked if there is a specific spray designed for spraying in rooms but thanks anyway. (y)

Pete
Yea I got that .
I'd still be wary of some of those products

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
In thailand primary deterrent is Mosquito coils , but thats mainly for use out doors as the smoke is very noxious , in bedooms its Mozzie Nets impregnated with DDT ,keeping widows shut or having nettings to stop the little blighters,, covering skin up at dawn and dusk when they are most active, rollons or sprays for skin are less effective .. and mozzie zappers are popular .

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
Since 2015
Made the mistake of spraying our room when staying in Nairobi. Only been married a few weeks, so there was -ahem - activity. Spent most of the early hours touring hospitals to get some pain relief and treatment for a severe allergic reaction.
Apparently allergic to pyrethrum (an extract from the chrysanthemum family), used in fly spray. Lesson learned!

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I've got two of these one for each wrist! Mosquito bracelet, does it work? Not sure yet.
1000004344.jpg

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Touring S Spain. Tried most things witt mixed results. Site we are on now sprays all dusty roads several times a day with ‘water’? No mosquitoes here. Already much bitten elsewhere.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I used to always use raid but I stopped after it caused the dogs to be sneezing afterwards , I then googled if it was safe or not and that convinced me not to use it.

The only safe way to use it is to spray the van and then go out for a while till the air clears . At which point more mosquitoes will follow you in to the van when you return lol.

I hate the little shits but don't want to cause my dogs health problems either

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We still use those little plug in things with a tablet of noxious chemicals on them that you leave on all night. The new one is a usb plug in. The latest tablets are in Greek but smelt just the same as the usual ones. Our van is a PVC so a single device does the trick.

We spray the tropical stuff on ourselves from Boots.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
We are going to France soon and have bought/ stockpiled a multitude of bracelets, body sprays, body wash, net, candles (for outside) and room spray! My other half got eaten alive two years ago 😂🙈

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
I know you can get mozzie repellent spray for your body but struggling to find a room spray for the van, does such a thing exist?

Pete
We use Lavender Essential Oil (available from Holland & Barratt amongst others). It’s essential to use Essential Oil, not scent. Sprinkle around the fabrics and spread on ears and other exposed parts (shoulders, hands, feet). Works for us.

Lavender is the only essential oil you can use neat on the skin. It’s also great for soothing and healing burns, sunburn and bites.

My co-pilot is a clinical aromatherapist. She has an atomiser spray mix adding Eucalyptus Essential Oil - DON’T put that neat on skin! Happy to share that ‘recipe’ with you if you’re interested, the above sprinkle method gets through a lot of Lavender.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We use Lavender Essential Oil (available from Holland & Barratt amongst others). It’s essential to use Essential Oil, not scent. Sprinkle around the fabrics and spread on ears and other exposed parts (shoulders, hands, feet). Works for us.

Lavender is the only essential oil you can use neat on the skin. It’s also great for soothing and healing burns, sunburn and bites.

My co-pilot is a clinical aromatherapist. She has an atomiser spray mix adding Eucalyptus Essential Oil - DON’T put that neat on skin! Happy to share that ‘recipe’ with you if you’re interested, the above sprinkle method gets through a lot of Lavender.
please share the recipe ?

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think we have tired everything, in combinations.

Jungle Formula seems to work.

---------------------------------------------------------

We have tiger mosquitos in Spain. The only way to keep the buggers aways is to have the garden sprayed

I use this company https://www.fogoffspain.com/

And yes, it really does work. The problem is, as soon as you go out for a meal, to the park, supermarket. They get you.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We use a plug in insectectocutor which has a blue ligh to attract the blighters and then zap them when the touch the mesh. If you switch off lights and switch it on for a while before retiring to the vehicle it clears them. Obviously you can leave switched on while sleeping if the blue light doesn’t bother you.

IMG_9499.png

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We use a plug in insectectocutor which has a blue ligh to attract the blighters and then zap them when the touch the mesh. If you switch off lights and switch it on for a while before retiring to the vehicle it clears them. Obviously you can leave switched on while sleeping if the blue light doesn’t bother you.

View attachment 928656
does it work ?

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Mine didn't. I binned it last year

Mosquitoes are neither attracted or detracted by light apparently.

Another Google investigation lol
supposed to be carbon dioxide, as in Hyman breath they are attracted to

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
supposed to be carbon dioxide, as in Hyman breath they are attracted to
Yes that's correct and ear wax apparently

This article will tell you

Ultraviolet light does not attract mosquitoes

OP
OP
pjay
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Couldn't find any Raid mozzie killer so I got some of this, let you know if its any good....

61CIRJhjKlL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back