Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Not content with thwarting my engine starting attempts by intermittently showing me the yellow key/padlock warning light on the dash (https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-😡.311253/), my Fiat 2.8JTD engine has now developed another strategy by occasionally refusing to even turn the engine over when I turn the key to start it.

Any thoughts? I’m think perhaps there’s a relay involved somewhere, some poor connections or the solenoid. Not happening often (yet) but worrying nevertheless.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Have you checked all the earth points and starter cable?
I know something about engines but not good on details so I was looking for some pointers. I’ll take a look at those items (if I can find them!) tomorrow. Thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Not content with thwarting my engine starting attempts by intermittently showing me the yellow key/padlock warning light on the dash (https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-😡.311253/), my Fiat 2.8JTD engine has now developed another strategy by occasionally refusing to even turn the engine over when I turn the key to start it.

Any thoughts? I’m think perhaps there’s a relay involved somewhere, some poor connections or the solenoid. Not happening often (yet) but worrying nevertheless.
Having had similar problems in the past on my last 2.8jtd I suggest it may be the ignition barrel itself. I bought a new barrel with keys easy to change once you remove the headless bolts. I then taped the original key to the security sensor ring & tucked it under the dash. No more problems after that.

Likes collected
Funster No
There is a small contact at the bottom of the ignition barrel which can wer or corrode resulting in no contact when the key is turned, ignition comes on but the next bit fails hence the starter doesn’t turn. Check if you have a row of fuses itthe nearside top dash pocket on some models there is a 5 amp or 2 amp that works theimmobiliser take it out and clean the fuse twisting the blades a little may help. It’s model specific ours was a 1999 2.8 JTSD

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Having had similar problems in the past on my last 2.8jtd I suggest it may be the ignition barrel itself. I bought a new barrel with keys easy to change once you remove the headless bolts. I then taped the original key to the security sensor ring & tucked it under the dash. No more problems after that.
That might solve my other problem too - what year was your 2.8jtd?
There is a small contact at the bottom of the ignition barrel which can wer or corrode resulting in no contact when the key is turned, ignition comes on but the next bit fails hence the starter doesn’t turn. Check if you have a row of fuses itthe nearside top dash pocket on some models there is a 5 amp or 2 amp that works theimmobiliser take it out and clean the fuse twisting the blades a little may help. It’s model specific ours was a 1999 2.8 JTSD
Mine’s a 2003 model.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back