Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
theres a lot more rubbish strewn around from cars than motorhomes just look at the state of most laybyes and any where trafic is regularly at a standstill the slip road of the north circ down to the redbridge roundabout looks like a tip

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We carry a litter picker in our van jumartoo loves to have a quick clean up when we arrive somewhere...this in itself calmed the attitude of a fairly irate local, without doubt this guy had pride in his local community, but his pride and joy has been abused.
Our initial meeting was somewhat frosty, however the whole situation was turned around when I told him that we clean up during our stay and that some, not all of the litter was caused by motorhomers,...even locals were to blame...when we had our final words the morning we left, he greeted us with a smile and a welcome to return anytime...made ,,,,,,jumartoo happy.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Oh good, the old "big clubs hate wild camping" trope - where is the evidence?
Perhaps the people who believe that didn't read my post from 18 September.
The article I linked to includes a quote from the CAMC “Where demand for overnight stays exceeds the current provision for organised camping, we would welcome local authorities providing designated areas available for this, rather than imposing a simple ban on overnight parking which will just move the 'problem' elsewhere."

I'm afraid it's the usual blinkered rubbish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
It’s embarrassing to be British, when you travel around Europe and most of their rest areas have plenty of bins that are emptied regular have picnic tables and fair few have toilets..
Usually they are every 5-10 miles.
Drive around the UK and if you are lucky you can find a lay- bye but that’s normal full of crap and smells like a sewer🙁🙁

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Perhaps the people who believe that didn't read my post from 18 September.
The article I linked to includes a quote from the CAMC “Where demand for overnight stays exceeds the current provision for organised camping, we would welcome local authorities providing designated areas available for this, rather than imposing a simple ban on overnight parking which will just move the 'problem' elsewhere."

I'm afraid it's the usual blinkered rubbish.
But isn't she saying that they want all their or the other club/private campsites full first, obviously trying to protect their business.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
There has been abuse of free/wild camping at certain popular spots along with this is the rubbish from some or long stays.

Having said this it is the same for cars, hence yellow and double yellow lines or restricted parking.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
The only evidence I can give is my receipt for a litter picking device and rubbish bags...... Plus a really peed off me who, after clearing any site I 'free load' or 'pay car park' on, have to do it all again the following morning because all the LOCALS who turn up at night for a snog, eat their chips, drink their take away coffees, after a night out.. just throw their rubbish, inc condom wrappers, out the window.. .. completely ignoring the waste bins 10 feet away!!!!

GRrrrr...
Good on you - too many people complain about litter but then expect someone else to clear it up and I totally take your point about local 'ne'er do wells' disregard for the environment when it comes to littering. However, my point about "where's the evidence" is where's the evidence for the big clubs actively trying to prevent free overnight parking and aires? Look at #37 above and you'll get my drift.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Good on you - too many people complain about litter but then expect someone else to clear it up and I totally take your point about local 'ne'er do wells' disregard for the environment when it comes to littering. However, my point about "where's the evidence" is where's the evidence for the big clubs actively trying to prevent free overnight parking and aires? Look at #37 above and you'll get my drift.

We Womble up and down our road, as does a nice bloke near us. I also cut the three grassed areas outside the 6 properties that border the grass (Council rarely cut it and the dog walkers leave their dogs mess behind when the grass gets more than a couple of inches long…..been cutting it for more than 25 years). We regularly get the same residents coming out, say that the litter can build up and people are irresponsible…..we have to bit our lips…..all I want to say I’m outside your house, picking up litter, take a hint…..you pick it up instead of moaning. 🤷‍♂️

If people are not prepared to look after the area they live in, they’re hardly likely to give a toss about someone else’s Road, Town, City etc.:(

Not a rant, just an observation from experience.(y)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Touring Scotland at the moment and very impressed with all the motorhome friendly places to stay. At Findhorn Bay now and staying on the Findhorn Community site but while out walking to the bay found a huge motorhome aire. Could have been in France:smiley:. Two weeks into our trip and it's been a real pleasure to just wander about picking where we want to go and always finding somewhere to stay, supermarkets you can park in and a general feeling that motorhomes are welcome. With the exception of the one pr.t who overtook us blowing his horn, braking three times in front and weaving dramatically around a puddle, driving has been a pleasure too. Said pr.t by the way, had followed us around Loch Lomond on a horrendously rainy day, with lying water every few yards and I was looking for somewhere to pull over to let cars pass when road got wider. Said pr.t also then got stuck behind a car driving just as carefully as me for a few miles::bigsmile:.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its always great to see a local authority laying on Aire Park up facilities like Findhorn in Scotland, many thanks to them.
However its also sad to read that people arrive in cars/motorbikes and are asked to pay £1 a day to use the car park, Beach, toilets, seating, picnic areas etc....and don't do so!:mad:
I believe there is a barrier with ANPR cameras, and MH/Camper Vans are asked to pre book to get a spot, max stay 2 nights, not sure if its gone up this year from £10 to £15 per night.:unsure:(£15 would be the max that many would pay I guess)
Maybe they should have a barrier for all other car, motor bike users to ensure they get their "Honesty" donation to go towards the costs of maintaining the loos, etc.
My point is Human Nature is letting us down again, they have to be policed into making even a £1 donation Oh Please!.:mad:
LES

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
£15 a night for Findhorn and book online. There's a barrier and I think 21 hardstanding, generous pictches. Water, chemical waste disposal and a public loo. Right on the beach where you can watch birds, seals and dolphins(we didn't see dolphins). Nice walks and a couple of pubs in the village.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But isn't she saying that they want all their or the other club/private campsites full first, obviously trying to protect their business.
I don't think so Martin, given that the statement begins "Where demand for overnight stays exceeds the current provision". There is obviously a demand in Redcar & Cleveland but neither of the main clubs has a main site in the borough and there are precious few CLs/CSs so the criterion is met.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think so Martin, given that the statement begins "Where demand for overnight stays exceeds the current provision". There is obviously a demand in Redcar & Cleveland but neither of the main clubs has a main site in the borough and there are precious few CLs/CSs so the criterion is met.
I read it as a general statement of the clubs position and seemed to include a dig that councils should be more open to granting planning for sites, she seems to be talking in general about campsites in popular areas not specifically this case.

“We would hope that local authorities deal fairly with providing for the needs of leisure vehicle owners, recognising the benefits that tourism can bring to an area. This would include ensuring that there is adequate provision for organised camping accommodation where leisure vehicle users can stay in comfort and safety without a potentially negative impact on the local population, which in turn means considering planning applications for such facilities in a fair manner.”

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
The go to people that represent campsites appear to be the two main clubs that have obvious self interest in their response to anything that might effect their business or as is current their control and respect.
There must be a better way for representation of the thousand upon thousands of Motorhome owners throughout the U.K.
My take on this is representation by the very people that benefit from Motorhomers other than Campsite clubs.
I cannot understand why an Association has not been formed by all MH Manufacturers plus the likes of CCP,CAMpRA,SFS,Motorhome Fun,Camper Contact in fact all those that benefit directly from the Industry.
Since it is in their interest for Motorhoming to thrive who better as a group to fight our corner for the provision of Motorhome Facilities in the U.K.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Unfortunately Weston suffers a lot from groups of Motorhome’s and Caravans parking up in the seafront carparks, on the beach lawns and sports centres, as well as the large Locking Road Carpark where there can be a group of up to 20+ vehicles.

Height barriers were introduced to stop them entering the carparks and sports centre. The Council are currently erecting bollards along the whole of the beach lawns to stop overnighting (and longer) there.

I’m afraid the council are unable to pick and choose who are the responsible ones, and who are not. 🤷‍♂️
Aaah, Weston. The only place I’ve ever received a parking ticket. Got a bit lost walking round town and was ten minutes out of time on an on-street bay. It was a fair ticket I suppose though I’m certain the warden waited, timing me down and pounced. I was at the end of a mile-long stretch on the edge of town with no one else nearby. Used to enjoy a meal out there in a lovely Indian but there are other towns more welcoming.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Aaah, Weston. The only place I’ve ever received a parking ticket. Got a bit lost walking round town and was ten minutes out of time on an on-street bay. It was a fair ticket I suppose though I’m certain the warden waited, timing me down and pounced. I was at the end of a mile-long stretch on the edge of town with no one else nearby. Used to enjoy a meal out there in a lovely Indian but there are other towns more welcoming.

All towns and cities have their warts, but in general, Weston is a great place to live. (y)

I got a parking ticket in Weston……waiting in the wrong area…….on the Sports Centre Carpark! I was waiting to pick up my wife in the coach / bus area, Council ticket bloke came from behind, ‘Sorry, didn’t see you sitting there, I’ve already done the ticket now’. £35.🤷‍♂️🤐

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
All towns and cities have their warts, but in general, Weston is a great place to live. (y)

I got a parking ticket in Weston……waiting in the wrong area…….on the Sports Centre Carpark! I was waiting to pick up my wife in the coach / bus area, Council ticket bloke came from behind, ‘Sorry, didn’t see you sitting there, I’ve already done the ticket now’. £35.🤷‍♂️🤐
I’ll take you at your word about what Weston is like to live in and of course one parking ticket shouldn’t condemn a town to ignominy. Clearly your traffic wardens have had the same charm and humour bypass as in many others though.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’ll take you at your word about what Weston is like to live in and of course one parking ticket shouldn’t condemn a town to ignominy. Clearly your traffic wardens have had the same charm and humour bypass as in many others though.

Since being taken over by the local authorities solving parking problems seems to have given way to parking revenue. The only people that usually affects is visitors……the locals know where to park. Yellow lines, outside the town centre, are no longer bothered with. Residents at the bottom of our road regularly park on double yellows for days on end, and we’re less than a mile from the seafront. 🤷‍♂️

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
After reading all this I am looking forward to our next foray to Europe, where most countries have proper joined up thinking about tourism. That is where we will be spending our hard earned cash.

No wonder many UK seaside towns are going downhill fast, full of seedy slot machine arcades and caffs. Unlike their European competitors who seem to be thriving on modern tourism.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I read it as a general statement of the clubs position and seemed to include a dig that councils should be more open to granting planning for sites, she seems to be talking in general about campsites in popular areas not specifically this case.

“We would hope that local authorities deal fairly with providing for the needs of leisure vehicle owners, recognising the benefits that tourism can bring to an area. This would include ensuring that there is adequate provision for organised camping accommodation where leisure vehicle users can stay in comfort and safety without a potentially negative impact on the local population, which in turn means considering planning applications for such facilities in a fair manner.”
I read the two paragraphs as complementary statements, but I agree that the first could well be a dig.

If it is a dig though I wonder why. I can't recall the CAMC applying for planning consent in Redcar & Cleveland.
When the C&CC applied for consent for a site at Saltburn 3 years ago it was local people, National Trust and Historic England who objected strongly. The local parish council voted narrowly in favour.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
It’s embarrassing to be British, when you travel around Europe and most of their rest areas have plenty of bins that are emptied regular have picnic tables and fair few have toilets..
Usually they are every 5-10 miles.
Drive around the UK and if you are lucky you can find a lay- bye but that’s normal full of crap and smells like a sewer🙁🙁
France, Germany and maybe parts of Spain but not really Europe. Italy trumps UK by a long way in terms of lack of rest areas and rubbish. Let's not forget the smell of wee in places where truckers stop in Europe.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Another restriction caused by abuse, sadly. This is an area where I know the council has tried persuasion to stop what had become a nuisance.
No surprise there GJH, I think more and more people are using P4N and Searchforsites and spots like this are listed as an Aire would be in France, and then there is the abuse of an unofficial overnight spot, from a review on park4night for example;

Although the sign says no overnight parking, for the week we were there, there were between 3 and 10 motorhomes each night. No problems, and others said they had spent 3 weeks there with no problems. Nearby toilets are cleaned frequently.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No surprise there GJH, I think more and more people are using P4N and Searchforsites and spots like this are listed as an Aire would be in France, and then there is the abuse of an unofficial overnight spot, from a review on park4night for example;

Although the sign says no overnight parking, for the week we were there, there were between 3 and 10 motorhomes each night. No problems, and others said they had spent 3 weeks there with no problems. Nearby toilets are cleaned frequently.
It's been a problem for years Martin. I was there in the car a few years ago, just for a walk, and saw a group of people doing maintenance on each other's vans as well as camping. The council hasn't the resources to employ regular staff to enforce the regulations though. I think they may have shot themselves in the foot by introducing a daytime charge as well as overnight though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back