Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We have just travelled through a couple of hours ago and pleased to say that finally they have come to their senses and now categorize large motorhomes as normal motorhomes 👍

In 2022 we paid €176 as we are 3.5m high but today the cost was €71.60. The gentleman in the booth asked if we were pleased with the price and I said yes, he advised they had changed the policy 2 weeks ago 👍

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Brings back memories of a family skiing trip to Chamonix, we were in a Landcruiser and my daughters suggested it would be nice to ‘pop through’ to get a proper Italian pizza 🤔

There were plenty of pizza options in Chamonix but no, daughters and wife won, added over €100 to bill and that was back in the noughties 🤔🙄

Nice to see the reduction, we are hoping to get to Italy sometime soon in our motorhome 👍

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
We went through a few months ago, and I have to say it is a ridiculous price.

Compare this with the Ryfast undersea tunnel out of Stavanger that we did last month - together with the Hundvag extension is nearly 20km underwater, with junctions, and the toll was about £5. Now that's good value.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geoff51

Free Member
Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
We went through a few months ago, and I have to say it is a ridiculous price.

Compare this with the Ryfast undersea tunnel out of Stavanger that we did last month - together with the Hundvag extension is nearly 20km underwater, with junctions, and the toll was about £5. Now that's good value.
One reason is because Norway has a sovereign wealth fund from oil and gas revenues which helps fund such projects.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One reason is because Norway has a sovereign wealth fund from oil and gas revenues which helps fund such projects.
A totally different take on "communal" wealth than in most places in the UK. In many ways our oil bonanza was wasted rather than invested.

Having said that it has been reported that some Norwegians feel guilty at having such a high standard of living - and their population is far lower than ours.

During the oil bonanza years Norway decided to let failing industries fail and not prop them up - this was not popular in all places at the time as you can imagine but they are now reaping the rewards. There has been quite a lot of investment in infrastructure such as The Atlantic Highway linking many small islands (travel time much reduced allowing perishable produce to get to mainland markets, commuting and tourism, the highway is an attraction in it's own right). One reason for Norway not joining the EU was that they saw no benefit having their own equivalent of the EU Regional Development Fund with far fewer hoops to get hold of money.

Source of the information is from talking to people when in Norway.

How many multinational companies have Norwegian money behind them somewhere? I don't know but would think quite a few.

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not yet, but looking
A little off-topic. The MB tunnel will be closed for all of October through to mid-December.

I’ve been planning my route from Greece to UK for mid-October. Will use the Frejus Tunnel instead, or may decide to use Gotthard Tunnel, then through Switzerland.

Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
A totally different take on "communal" wealth than in most places in the UK. In many ways our oil bonanza was wasted rather than invested.

Having said that it has been reported that some Norwegians feel guilty at having such a high standard of living - and their population is far lower than ours.

During the oil bonanza years Norway decided to let failing industries fail and not prop them up - this was not popular in all places at the time as you can imagine but they are now reaping the rewards. There has been quite a lot of investment in infrastructure such as The Atlantic Highway linking many small islands (travel time much reduced allowing perishable produce to get to mainland markets, commuting and tourism, the highway is an attraction in it's own right). One reason for Norway not joining the EU was that they saw no benefit having their own equivalent of the EU Regional Development Fund with far fewer hoops to get hold of money.

How many multinational companies have Norwegian money behind them somewhere? I don't know but would think quite a few.
It helps that Norway has 10% of our population, has always had much more oil and gas than us, also has other mineral wealth, had the sense to start their own sovereign oil company and didnt have a thoroughly evil woman championing free market economics allowing manufacturing to decline.
Happy Jack.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005

Their Sovereign wealth fund also paid for all the massive cruise ships called "Whatever" of the Seas" that ply out of Florida (and maybe other places) but you have to admire a bit of smart thinking with regard to oil revenues by Norway.

Jun 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
We have just travelled through a couple of hours ago and pleased to say that finally they have come to their senses and now categorize large motorhomes as normal motorhomes 👍

In 2022 we paid €176 as we are 3.5m high but today the cost was €71.60. The gentleman in the booth asked if we were pleased with the price and I said yes, he advised they had changed the policy 2 weeks ago 👍
That is still phenomenally expensive when other tunnel of similar length in Neighbouring EU Countries with no charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back