MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (39 Viewers)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Brake problems again 😑. Rear brakes grinding when stopping so I'm guessing that sticking caliper the guy didn't free off is causing issues. Can't get wheels off as nuts are so tight so I'm at a tyre place just now getting them to loosen wheel nuts even they're struggling with tools far superior and stronger than mine.

So tired of the brakes on this van
20240508_104244.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Scaffold pole on the end of that wrench and they would be off. 👍
Yeah unfortunately no scaffolding poles to hand , also the photo might not show a true size but that is a beefy 1 inch drive ratchet at least 850mm long plus inch drive extension and sockets. The biggest I carry at present is 1/2 inch breaker bar etc .

The last garage put the nuts on so tight with an air gun I couldn't budge them and as a result my 12 inch extension bar us now fubar... I will need to buy another aswell as heavier gear for removing wheels.

But anyway in the end we got them loose by the tyre guy ( didn't get his name ) standing on the bar while leaning on my shoulder to get the nuts cracked.... Great fun in 30° heat but the guy was a legend , very very helpful . So he got all the nuts loose , jacked the van up for me and removed the wheels and then I could strip down the caliper ( rear left hand side as suspected) and give it a clean up and grease the sliders, although to be fair they were not seized as I expected nit just sticking a little, however it had once again worn the outside pad right down to the metal and in to the rivets so the disc is even more damaged than it was before. And I had heard nothing from the rear brakes till this morning when I left lidl in nafplion. So I had went to that tyre fitter in the hope he could just loosen the wheels for me. It bugs me when garages way over tighten wheel nuts and leave you completely stuck.

So anyway I managed to free up the caliper and grease it , I'm still not 100% convinced the issue is sorted. I've had trouble with that corner since it's mot last year when I had the bearing replaced, the caliper locked on then and we changed the flexi hose as that seemed to be the issue. Then it burnt through pads and I had to have them replaced in Turkey and now it's done the same again ... caliper pistons are fine and go back with ease , sliders were a little sticky but not seized so I'm not sure what's going on .

It will need looked at in more depth but will hopefully see me back to the UK, fortunately I kept the part worn pads from the front when I replaced those a few weeks ago so I could fit those today to get me by. The disc will need replaced and I need the handbrake looked at. These ivecos are apparently notorious for brake issues so I'm not the only one it seems.

I will need to update my tool collection though too as I hate having to use a garage for simple stuff like brakes I can normally do myself.

So we are back on the road anyway . Big shout out to the very helpful guy in the tyre place in nafplion who only fitted tyres but went out his way to help me out . And he wouldn't take any money initially despite spending around 45 minutes struggling with my wheels .. but eventually I got him to take 20 euro from me. And he was very happy with that. The garage has great reviews online and I left them another one today.

20240508_105707.jpg
Screenshot_20240508_130253_Google.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I destroyed my last pair of decent shorts while changing the brakes ...ripped a big hole in the arse

20240508_154830.jpg

.... that's the 3rd pair this trip so having only a few pairs of football shorts left that have no pockets etc I had to go search out some new ones ... big Chinese shop in nafplion so I got 2 new pairs of shorts and some new flip flops ... €45 all In so not too bad .

And then we buggered off out of nafplion, brakes are so far so good.

I was ridiculously hot and absolutely filthy after messing with the brakes so we parked up for lunch at a lovely quiet sandy beach outside astros and I went for a swim with the dogs....or at least blu and occasionally milo was in swimming with me , blu is such a good swimmer she's a wee ( big) star , it was absolutely fab ....lovely sandy and reasonably shallow beach you can wade out for ages and its only waist deep ...not a stone or a bit weed in sight. It was lovely . A bit close to.the road though so after an hour or so we headed towards one of my favourite wee places agios andreas , but we are parked on the beach instead of the port for tonight ... might go to the port tomorrow for a change of scenery but its only a km along the road. There were 2 other mh here when I arrived but one has left

There were at least 30 motorhomes overnight in nafplion yesterday , was chatting to an old couple from northern Ireland and another from England although the female half was originally from Dublin.. the ni couple are on here but not often he said and he still never told me his username....but he knew who I was lol. I got that familiar .....you're tam from fun greeting 😁🤣

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Get yourself one of these Tam, you will never have an issue again, doesn’t need to be Makita, there are cheaper ones too which will do the occasional usage,
Ducati single sided swing arms with one central nut are famous for being extremely difficult to remove, but with this tool it has no resistance 👍
IMG_8866.png

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I just spoke with the vet in kyparissia that I used for elas passport etc a few years back .... the titre test here in Greece is €260 and takes one month for results so I won't be getting it done here for blu as that's €100 more than it cost in Spain and takes even longer ... its a shame as it would have saved time in Spain come winter time but crazy prices

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I just spoke with the vet in kyparissia that I used for elas passport etc a few years back .... the titre test here in Greece is €260 and takes one month for results so I won't be getting it done here for blu as that's €100 more than it cost in Spain and takes even longer ... its a shame as it would have saved time in Spain come winter time but crazy prices
Wow, not just UK vets plucking figures out the air, my vet wanted £220 for AHC I went to Abbeywell at Dover for £99 having given my vet the chance to do it for the same but seems they don't get out of bed for 99 quid!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wow, not just UK vets plucking figures out the air, my vet wanted £220 for AHC I went to Abbeywell at Dover for £99 having given my vet the chance to do it for the same but seems they don't get out of bed for 99 quid!
Yeah it's ridiculous 🙄, and the fact no one checks the bloody things anyway just adds to the insult.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

As a canny Scot did you not factor all these costs into the budget every time you took on another dog?;);):giggle:

Ah well, you will have 180 days from 28th June to earn LOADS A MONEY in UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 30, 2019
Wirral Peninsula, Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
I destroyed my last pair of decent shorts while changing the brakes ...ripped a big hole in the arse

View attachment 894640

.... that's the 3rd pair this trip so having only a few pairs of football shorts left that have no pockets etc I had to go search out some new ones ... big Chinese shop in nafplion so I got 2 new pairs of shorts and some new flip flops ... €45 all In so not too bad .

And then we buggered off out of nafplion, brakes are so far so good.

I was ridiculously hot and absolutely filthy after messing with the brakes so we parked up for lunch at a lovely quiet sandy beach outside astros and I went for a swim with the dogs....or at least blu and occasionally milo was in swimming with me , blu is such a good swimmer she's a wee ( big) star , it was absolutely fab ....lovely sandy and reasonably shallow beach you can wade out for ages and its only waist deep ...not a stone or a bit weed in sight. It was lovely . A bit close to.the road though so after an hour or so we headed towards one of my favourite wee places agios andreas , but we are parked on the beach instead of the port for tonight ... might go to the port tomorrow for a change of scenery but its only a km along the road. There were 2 other mh here when I arrived but one has left

There were at least 30 motorhomes overnight in nafplion yesterday , was chatting to an old couple from northern Ireland and another from England although the female half was originally from Dublin.. the ni couple are on here but not often he said and he still never told me his username....but he knew who I was lol. I got that familiar .....you're tam from fun greeting 😁🤣
😂😂😂 I did that to Philandmena in the Peloponnese. He thought he was being stalked, lost emoji, laughing face,why does that happen.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As a canny Scot did you not factor all these costs into the budget every time you took on another dog?;);):giggle:

Ah well, you will have 180 days from 28th June to earn LOADS A MONEY in UK.
I did , but I'll pay the €160 in Spain rather than the €260 in Greece.

I'm only back in UK 90 days and then I'm off to Spain 😁 . Won't be working though

I've nae job 😁, so I'm just spending the 90 days visiting a few folk , doing some jobs on the camper and exploring sarf england n Wales.

Last edited:

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Yeah it's ridiculous 🙄, and the fact no one checks the bloody things anyway just adds to the insult.
Tam I've told you a couple of times that 30 day stuff is a lot of nonsense, here's a screenshot of the email I received from the actual lab that does the tests in Italy and it only takes 4 or 5 days I got my 2 test results back in 4 days while on the road! I've also screenshot the vet I used and I think both dogs were €220 so Blu shouldn't be much more than half of that..... only useful of course if your heading to northern Italy which I think you are?.....
Screenshot_20240509-130752_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240509-130556_Facebook.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
😂😂😂 I did that to Philandmena in the Peloponnese. He thought he was being stalked, lost emoji, laughing face,why does that happen.
I've had it quite a few times now ...well in to double figures as people follow the threads on here but don't always comment etc so I don't know who they are ...then I get a knock on the door or something , sometimes it can feel a little weird though. ..the first year I was on here and travelling Spain was ridiculous, I was getting knocks on the van door all the time . The fun sticker was quickly removed. Now it's the dogs or the van they recognise

The funniest one was in Almeria when I was travelling with Jackie who isn't even on here but we were sat outside and this fella turns up and says , you must be tam and you must be Jackie....she looked at me as if to say wtf🤣🤣. It was Jays2

I've met quite a lot off here though that's been arranged beforehand.

A few that I'm not even sure are still on the site or are read only

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam I've told you a couple of times that 30 day stuff is a lot of nonsense, here's a screenshot of the email I received from the actual lab that does the tests in Italy and it only takes 4 or 5 days I got my 2 test results back in 4 days while on the road! I've also screenshot the vet I used and I think both dogs were €220 so Blu shouldn't be much more than half of that..... only useful of course if your heading to northern Italy which I think you are?.....
View attachment 894969View attachment 894970
I know but it seems to be every vet I speak to that's what they say , I will be in North Italy but it would only work if they did sort results out in a few days as I won't be hanging around too long on route home .

I've never doubted what you're saying chief just every vet I've spoke with say 3/4 weeks
It's a complete Ballache

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back