Mirrorguard saved our mirror again (39 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

nph

Jan 15, 2023
Wellington, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017 + 1980-81
Just in case anyone is wavering over whether to get some Mirrorguard mirror protectors, I thought our experience might be of interest. In the past three years, the Mirrorguards have saved our (interestingly) nearside mirror three times on our long arm Ducato-based Adria motorhome. The first was on a campsite where a caravan reversed into us when we were set up on a pitch, the second was when we were stationery in a small French village and a Volvo didn’t slow down as it passed and smashed her own mirror, whilst ours was undamaged. The third was terminal, unfortunately: last week again in France, a Fiat Berlingo van at speed hit our nearside mirror completely smashing his mirror assembly and sadly destroying our Mirrorguard; our mirror, however was intact (though the lower portion is slightly cracked), so once again Mirrorguard saved the day, saving us over £600 for a replacement mirror and the inconvenience of having to sort it out in France. We shall be replacing the Mirrorguard as soon as we get back.
IMG_1389.jpeg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good news that your nearside mirror was protected apart from a small crack, this can hopefully be welded with a soldering iron or glued.
We bought our Mirror Guards years ago they are expensive but do the job much better than others like the thinner Milenco etc.
I am not sure you can buy Mirror Guards seperately, I think I heard they came as pairs only?
Can you let us all know if that is the case Please, I hope I am wrong and you can get a Nearside cover replacement.(y)
Good Luck
LES

Reactions: nph
OP
OP
N

nph

Jan 15, 2023
Wellington, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017 + 1980-81
Good news that your nearside mirror was protected apart from a small crack, this can hopefully be welded with a soldering iron or glued.
We bought our Mirror Guards years ago they are expensive but do the job much better than others like the thinner Milenco etc.
I am not sure you can buy Mirror Guards seperately, I think I heard they came as pairs only?
Can you let us all know if that is the case Please, I hope I am wrong and you can get a Nearside cover replacement.(y)
Good Luck
LES
I’ve contacted Mirrorguard by email to ask this question: will see what their reponse is. Unfortunately I don’t think they can be bought in France and none of the French vans seem to have any kind of protection.
I did have some Milenco ones a few years ago but they were of no use: just a flimsy plastic cover more for decoration than anything I think!

OP
OP
N

nph

Jan 15, 2023
Wellington, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017 + 1980-81
Just in case anyone is wavering over whether to get some Mirrorguard mirror protectors, I thought our experience might be of interest. In the past three years, the Mirrorguards have saved our (interestingly) nearside mirror three times on our long arm Ducato-based Adria motorhome. The first was on a campsite where a caravan reversed into us when we were set up on a pitch, the second was when we were stationery in a small French village and a Volvo didn’t slow down as it passed and smashed her own mirror, whilst ours was undamaged. The third was terminal, unfortunately: last week again in France, a Fiat Berlingo van at speed hit our nearside mirror completely smashing his mirror assembly and sadly destroying our Mirrorguard; our mirror, however was intact (though the lower portion is slightly cracked), so once again Mirrorguard saved the day, saving us over £600 for a replacement mirror and the inconvenience of having to sort it out in France. We shall be replacing the Mirrorguard as soon as we get back.
View attachment 953545
As an aside to this, the van driver did stop and tried to blame me for being British and not knowing how to drive on the right hand side of the road! As Brains said in his post linked above, being right hand drive means that we are more likely to be as close as possible to the right hand edge of the road, more so than a local driver. I did refer to our dashcam footage saying that it showed we were close to the edge as possible, at which he just said that there was no point in discussing it. In fact I hadn’t seen the footage at that point, of course, but I was pretty confident: when I looked after the event I could see we were right on the edge of the road, but that he was well out and travelling at speed. Oh well, it could have been a lot worse and no one was hurt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
nph
I know the guy that manufactures them supplies many motor home dealership accessory shops, perhaps if you cannot source directly from him, another UK dealership may have them in stock, but they may only sell in pairs.
Try Chelston Motor homes, Wellington, Somerset 1st, as the guy who makes them comes from that region and pops in regularly to re-stock them.
LES

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
footage saying that it showed we were close to the edge as possible, at which he just said that there was no point in discussing it.
I'd keep the footage as the t++t is likely to have clocked your reg number & will put a claim in against you via his insurance company.

OP
OP
N

nph

Jan 15, 2023
Wellington, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017 + 1980-81
I'd keep the footage as the t++t is likely to have clocked your reg number & will put a claim in against you via his insurance company.
Good advice: thanks. Yes, I’m worried about that. It’s safely stored on the iPad. I just hope it won’t be worth his time to pursue this and I’m not sure that French companies can pursue UK registered vehicles (at least I’m hoping they can’t, so don’t tell me otherwise!)

OP
OP
N

nph

Jan 15, 2023
Wellington, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017 + 1980-81
nph
I know the guy that manufactures them supplies many motor home dealership accessory shops, perhaps if you cannot source directly from him, another UK dealership may have them in stock, but they may only sell in pairs.
Try Chelston Motor homes, Wellington, Somerset 1st, as the guy who makes them comes from that region and pops in regularly to re-stock them.
LES
Thank you. As it happens we live in Wellington and our van is from Chelston MH, so if Mirrorguard don’t get back to me, Chelston will my first stop once we’re home.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I’ve contacted Mirrorguard by email to ask this question: will see what their reponse is. Unfortunately I don’t think they can be bought in France and none of the French vans seem to have any kind of protection.
I did have some Milenco ones a few years ago but they were of no use: just a flimsy plastic cover more for decoration than anything I think!

If you want to get a replacement while you're in France, you could have them sent to a La Poste for collection. I've just had a shipment from Germany sent to La Poste for collection. Whereabouts are you in France now? If you're near us, you could have them sent to us and pop over to collect them, if that would help?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Not convinced by mirror guards and if you've been quoted £600 to replace then that hopefully included a new door. I replaced both regular long arm covers and mirror pairs on the last refresh for about £50 🤷

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
As an aside to this, the van driver did stop and tried to blame me for being British and not knowing how to drive on the right hand side of the road! As Brains said in his post linked above, being right hand drive means that we are more likely to be as close as possible to the right hand edge of the road, more so than a local driver. I did refer to our dashcam footage saying that it showed we were close to the edge as possible, at which he just said that there was no point in discussing it. In fact I hadn’t seen the footage at that point, of course, but I was pretty confident: when I looked after the event I could see we were right on the edge of the road, but that he was well out and travelling at speed. Oh well, it could have been a lot worse and no one was hurt.
I had a very similar experience 2 years ago in France. Our Milenco mirror protectors saved our mirror, but the mirror on the French 4x4 was wrecked! I don’t understand why the mirror arms are so long on our motorhome - they don’t need to be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back