Minster Polar Screens - Extended/Privacy? (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
From their website the extended ones are apparently to stop debris falling through the vents at the bottom of the screen. Presumably they help stop draughts too? But do they noisily flap in the wind and/or dull the paintwork?

For the Ducato the screen includes a drop down section. But does this does not include a privacy screen? Is it a permanent option underneath?

Thanks,

Dave

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The extended flap covers the grilles on top of the bonnet. Does seem to reduce draughts.

there is no privacy screen mesh on their standard cover with the centre windscreen able to be dropped down to let in some light. But I do find that dropping that bit it will flap about a lot in a moderate breeze.

Not seen any paint rubbing issues.

Overall its a good fit on my pvc and no real flapping of the fully closed screen until wind is gusting above say 30mph.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi Dave - the longer length ones are popular if you have the vents but are a little more bulky to store. Internal draughts can be reduced by turning the ventilation switch on the dashboard to recycling to close the vent that allows air in. We chose standard length Minster Polar screen covers for our current van but have previously had Taylormade longer length which had additional elastic which hooked onto the front bumper grille to hold the flap down - if the screen covers are more rigid, less excess material or a snugger fit then such extra measures may not be necessary. Not heard of any silver screen type covers damaging paintwork but would only use them when camping & if covering the motorhome is required at other times then would use a Maypole breathable cover on all the exterior or internal blinds or screen covers if just want to cut out the light/sunshine.
The privacy mesh front panel is extra but certainly worth the additional cost as it works well - we leave ours connected so just pull down the silver panel to reveal the mesh for daytime (y)
Hope that helps & sure others will be along shortly to share their experiences too...

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We arrived late one night in a campsite in Woolecombe during a storm. The van was filthy from all the run off from the fields. I put the outer screen on and went to bed, buffeted all night long. When I took the screens off in the morning, the a-pillars were rubbed dull and the plastic wind deflectors on the tops of the windows looked like they'd been sanded. The van was a 2007 x250 with silver paint, not renowned for having a robust finish and it was far from immaculate. But the screen and the grit on the van with the continuous gusts all night was abrasive. I got some of the shine back with a very mild polish and a lot of wax. But they didn't look quite the same.

OP
OP
DABurleigh
May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
The privacy mesh front panel is extra but certainly worth the additional cost as it works well - we leave ours connected so just pull down the silver panel to reveal the mesh for daytime (y)
Is that the full width stand-alone screen or a panel that is just under the fold-down central panel of the thermal screen?
I can see the former at £85 but no privacy panel option on the website.

Dave

OP
OP
DABurleigh
May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
We arrived late one night in a campsite in Woolecombe during a storm. The van was filthy from all the run off from the fields. I put the outer screen on and went to bed, buffeted all night long. When I took the screens off in the morning, the a-pillars were rubbed dull and the plastic wind deflectors on the tops of the windows looked like they'd been sanded. The van was a 2007 x250 with silver paint, not renowned for having a robust finish and it was far from immaculate. But the screen and the grit on the van with the continuous gusts all night was abrasive. I got some of the shine back with a very mild polish and a lot of wax. But they didn't look quite the same.
I had a pre-facelift 2006 Ducato with a recognised paint adhesion problem, which needed an out-of-warranty partial respray.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Dave, the Minster windscreen covers are made by Polar, a twinned (or subsidiary) company based at Telford. We have an extended one for our Ducato and its brilliant. There are no draughts and I do recommend the extended version as they keep the van warmer and stop falling leaves getting into the bonnet vents. I have never heard of any paint rubbing and I never lower the drop down section because our lounge is at the back.

If you book ahead they will measure and make it for you whilst you wait. Ring Caroline (MD) on 01952 677499
(No, I'm not connected to them, just a happy punter!) :dance2:

Regards,

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
We've got the Polar standard size. Privacy panel (mesh) was about £20 more when we bought ours, velcros on under drop down flap. You can see out but no one can see in but does let a lot of light in. We just use a couple of pegs to stop the drop down section flapping.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Is that the full width stand-alone screen or a panel that is just under the fold-down central panel of the thermal screen?
I can see the former at £85 but no privacy panel option on the website.

Dave
We have the single front windscreen mesh with the silver screen but also the full mesh cover used separately! :giggle: On their newer website the mesh is listed separately https://polartechnologies.co.uk/collections/privacy-mesh plus, for info, they do have an ebay shop too https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item=285702225502&rt=nc&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l2562&_ssn=gdye1970 but as mentioned above if any problems just give them a call & I'm sure they will price & sort it all for you fairly (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
We have a Minster Polar cover with the extended flap. It does flap when it's really windy. I wouldn't bother with the extended flap if I were ordering another, just shutting the air vents (set to recirculate) perfectly well to stop the draughts. We prevent the flapping by using shock chord across the flap, or by tucking it a bit under the back of the bonnet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back