Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Sorry I can't help. If you have mice in your van I feel for you. We had mice a few years back and they made a right mess. I keep a strong air freshener in the van now and so far no more mice, don't know if that's why though.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Mice really don't like strong smells.

Essential oils on a tissue in an open glass containers in strategic places worked for us. Must be a glass container as essential oils can eat through plastics and aluminium.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have tried pretty much everything over the years. The only thing that has been truly effective sadly is peanut butter in a trap.
You can try the humane traps and release them but that is illegal.

Any deterrent will only work for so long if you have an attractive place for them. If it is warm, dry and sheltered they will learn to tolerate pretty much anything from smells to sounds. Even humans stomping around within feet will not scare them off.

I have trapped 20 in the last 2 weeks. Last 2 days are my first days mouse free. But they breed rapidly so they will be back.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I have tried pretty much everything over the years. The only thing that has been truly effective sadly is peanut butter in a trap.

Any deterrent will only work for so long if you have an attractive place for them. If it is warm, dry and sheltered they will learn to tolerate pretty much anything from smells to sounds. Even humans stomping around within feet will not scare them off.

I have trapped 20 in the last 2 weeks. Last 2 days are my first days mouse free. But they breed rapidly so they will be back.
The problem I had with peanut butter in a trap was that it worked brilliantly but I think that the smell of the peanut butter was attracting them in.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The problem I had with peanut butter in a trap was that it worked brilliantly but I think that the smell of the peanut butter was attracting them in.
I am pretty sure it does. But it does ensure you get the entire local population meaning it is a while before they do come back if at all.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
When they start getting very small you know they're on their way out .....

I read that things like lavender also deter them ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Tea Tree soap bars cut into sections seems to work well. We live in the countryside so it's a contact problem at home and had the little sods in teh loft. Sonic deterrents did nothing. Poison works to clear a problem infestation, but the soap bars seem to have kept them out for 2-3 years now. Reminds me I need to replace it. We too had them in the old van, in the ceiling living in the insulation! Took ages to workout how they were getting in which was up the shaped fillet where the cab joins the main body. Had to take some of the ceiling down to get rid of them. Put some aluminium mesh across the bottom and the problem was solved.

Upvote 1
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Parked along from a motorhome recently on a festival field..
Came back first night when dark and could not help but notice he had lights fitted under his van, apparently to deter rodents as they don't like light!!..

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
I’ve had problems in the past with mice eating the insulation on the wiring on a car kept in the garage and on our previous motorhome kept at a storage site. Both caused huge issues with random engine and electrical problems. For the car in the garage I now keep a LED strip light switched on permanently under the car as, has been previously mentioned, they don’t like light. I’m thinking about how to install a similar deterrent for our new van but that will need to be weatherproof.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Glue mats placed near every possible entry point.
They only step on them once.
If they are near the edge of the mat just cut around them and put the mat back down ....saves throwing a 'still useful' mat away.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
They only step on them once.
If they are near the edge of the mat just cut around them and put the mat back down ....saves throwing a 'still useful' mat away.
Are they not now illegal to use unless you are a licenced pest control operative???

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Chocolate buttons on a "Little Nipper" worked well for us some years ago when we had a couple come in through a hole in the wall where I had moved a washing machine draining pipe before I got some more cement to put in the hole. Don't bother with humane traps the little pests will beat you back to the van unless you let them out about two miles away.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Having had the same experience in the past, I now hang these around the van, in a cupboard where they seem to come in, plus I pop them into the vacuum bags when storing bedding and furnishings etc. I get mine from B&M.

Van pongs lovely and they’ve never come back.

IMG_1871.jpeg

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Glue mats, I can’t thing or a more inhumane way of making them suffer, just before they die a horrible death.

While I don’t like them in the van, I’d never kill any of them, or anything else come to that, I’d rather keep them out or if I did catch them, it was in a humane trap and released miles away in a field. Nothing gives us the right to just kill them, after the life I’ve had, then every life is special.

I don’t even kill flys, spiders or whatever, I just let them back outside again.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Illegal or not they are freely available on Amazon and probably garden centers and hardware shops as well.
If illegal how will it be policed?
Yes I am sure they are.. and it's not "if illegal" but "is illegal"
Sorry pappajohn post was not directed at you but was simply to highlight to others that your proposed solution is in fact illegal..👍👍

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That is the worst possible solution, it is cruel beyond belief. Even if you check them hourly you still have an animal that will get trapped and thrash around and eventually get it's body stuck.
If you have ever seen a video of this you would not consider using them.

I don't like killing mice myself but it is necessary so I want it to be fast and as painless as possible,.

Since I have been here for almost a year I have caught over 100 mice. One was caught in the trap by the tip of it's paw. I let that one go because it got lucky.
I am not soft. I will quite happily shoot pigeons, rats and rabbits. I am happy to trap the mice.

But it must be for a reason and it must be a fast death.

Upvote 0

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

And here is the evidence...

1727522192816.png

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back