Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
........so in theory a Globecar is 2.05m and the body of a V-line is the same albeit it may be 2-3cm wider because of its blobby windows.
Blobby! :D From now on your van will be known as Blobby!!! :LOL:

I'm not sure the windows make much difference as the body trim panels stick out a bit anyway (assuming the kit is fitted of course).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Still confused.
Autotrail quote a width of 2.27m as do Roller Team.
Globecar quote width of 2.05m .

All fiat based , all PVCs.

Maybe Fiat make different widths on vans !!
2.05 to 2.08 will just be trim levels, i.e. rubbing strips, Fiat quote 2.05, Hymer 2.08, the Hymers have side rubbing strips. Also as mentioned by Blueknight, conversion windows are often wider than the body, especially the older ones.
As for Rollerteam, we all know Italians are excitable and exaggerate, more likely some twit just got it wrong.

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Width measurements for a standard Ducato panel van, from Fiat:

Max external body width 2050mm
Max including mirrors (folded) 2280mm
Max including mirrors (extended) 2480mm

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ah the overall width of 2.27 includes a FOLDED wing mirrors.

Width measurements for a standard Ducato panel van, from Fiat:

Max external body width 2050mm
Max including mirrors (folded) 2280mm
Max including mirrors (extended) 2480mm

They must be measuring it oddly as the EU requirement for both cars & vans is that the folded wing mirror cannot project farther than the outer most body panel.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
They must be measuring it oddly as the EU requirement for both cars & vans is that the folded wing mirror cannot project farther than the outer most body panel.

Not a requirement I've ever been aware of. Can you quote the legislation?
Road Vehicles (C&U) Regs, which incorporates relevant requirements of harmonised EU legislation, only stipulates that an external rear view mirror should not project beyond the maximum body width of the vehicle "substantially more than is necessary" to achieve the requirements as to field of vision, and that any mirror mounted so that any part of it is below 2 metres from the ground cannot project more than 0.2 metres beyond the widest part of the vehicle.

Look at a Ducato van from the front and you can see that it is impossible for it to remain within the width of the body when folded due to its mounting point and depth of the mirror housing beyond the pivot. If the vans didn't meet type approval I'm sure we'd have heard of it by now!

I think I could perhaps get mine to fold just within the maximum width if I knocked them through the quarter light glass with a sledgehammer :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back