MEMO Vanstar E Cross cycle rack - adjusting the swinging bar? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We've had the E-bike rack over a year now and it still doesn't close into the docking housing without a good kick. It doesn't pull out without a huge tug, either. The swinging bar maybe a degree or two off and seems to be set too high to enter the docking housing easily. Memo won't give advice except to fitters(??) Original fitter unknown as arranged through the supplying MH dealer.

There are two bolts at the hinge end of the swinging bar but slackening and tightening them again hasn't relieved the bar's angle. Does anyone know how the bar can be adjusted?

Attachments

• Docking.jpg
    Docking.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Hinge.jpg
    Hinge.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 73

Mixyblob

Free Member
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
We have a similar swing out but it doesn't have whatever that is that your holding in your right hand. Ours also needs a bit of a lift and push to dock/ undock, especially when we have a couple of ebikes on it.
I don't find it a problem and its to be expected with so much weight and leverage.
The important thing is that the arm is 100% secure when docked, which it is once the pin is inserted.
Its strange that you say it appears to be angled up too much, ours hangs down too much with all the weight on it.
You could always give THIS chap a call and ask his advice, he is very knowledgeable about all things tow bar and I bought my swing out from him. I can't rate him highly enough.

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
That's very helpful. I'll contact him. Thank you! (I think there's a good chance that he actually installed our Vanstar ebike carrier as we bought the van from Signature Motorhomes at Preston, where he is based.)

Last edited:

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
We have a similar swing out but it doesn't have whatever that is that your holding in your right hand. Ours also needs a bit of a lift and push to dock/ undock, especially when we have a couple of ebikes on it.
I don't find it a problem and its to be expected with so much weight and leverage.
The important thing is that the arm is 100% secure when docked, which it is once the pin is inserted.
Its strange that you say it appears to be angled up too much, ours hangs down too much with all the weight on it.
You could always give THIS chap a call and ask his advice, he is very knowledgeable about all things tow bar and I bought my swing out from him. I can't rate him highly enough.
That is the locking device in his hand.
Prevents the rack swinging back.
Simple but very effective.

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
We've had the E-bike rack over a year now and it still doesn't close into the docking housing without a good kick. It doesn't pull out without a huge tug, either. The swinging bar maybe a degree or two off and seems to be set too high to enter the docking housing easily. Memo won't give advice except to fitters(??) Original fitter unknown as arranged through the supplying MH dealer.

There are two bolts at the hinge end of the swinging bar but slackening and tightening them again hasn't relieved the bar's angle. Does anyone know how the bar can be adjusted?
I have the Vanstar E Cross.
I think mines hangs down with the weight of bikes.
I don't know if you can adjust it, I just give it a good slam to close.
To open it I take some of the weight whilst pulling back, works for me.
The small handle is not great.
Ideally it should have been designed and manufactured to open and close easier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I've been in touch with Mike Parkinson in Lancashire (referred to above.). He fits all kinds of towbar and has helpfully offered to email Memo for instructions (if any) on how to adjust the pretension in the hinge.

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
I have the Vanstar E Cross.
I think mines hangs down with the weight of bikes.
I don't know if you can adjust it, I just give it a good slam to close.
To open it I take some of the weight whilst pulling back, works for me.
The small handle is not great.
Ideally it should have been designed and manufactured to open and close easier.
Hi Aji
Just about to pul the trigger on the Van Star E Cross for our VW Crafter Mk2, but I cant find out the weight of the actual carrier itself, only what its weight capacity is. I need the former weight as I am trying to calculate loads on axles etc. you dont happen to know the weight of the actual carrier do you?

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I can't find the weight of the Swing arm pluse chassis mount in my documentation but my memory (often faulty) has come up with the figure of 44kgs???

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Just done a little mod to support the swing arm when it's open. I had been using a single screw jack affair, but I had to open the doors to get the jack out. I've now modified a Lidl quick release clamp to allow me to support the swing bar. Basically you reverse the foot and clamp so that it works the wrong way around, if that makes sense. I've also cut a small slot in the square bung to house the clamp so we don't have to open the doors to get to it.
IMG_0625.jpeg
IMG_0626.jpeg
IMG_0627.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back