Marquis Berkshire motorhome update (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here is the latest in my saga about a motorhome purchased from Marquis Berkshire that I still don't have after seven weeks.

Firstly, am I doing this right by starting a new post each time there's a substantial update to the story? If feel that things could be missed by forum browsers if I just kept adding to the original post - and the thread would be multiple pages long by now and a tad confusing with all the replies, quotes and off-on-a-tangent comments.

First thing this morning I rocked up at the dealership with the documentation and proof I apparently needed to satisfy their anti-laundering 'policy', even though I just want the money paid back into the account it was paid from. There's surely not much of an opportunity to launder money by doing that! Still, I had the necessary and wanted to do it in person to avoid any further excuses. At this point I have lost all confidence in Marquis because of the delays and less than transparent information I had (not) received about the fact I would have to wait an indefinitely number of weeks to take collection, even once I'd paid for my van.

I met with the new Sales Manager since the original guy who sold me the van had left.

I said that as well as the remainder £75.5k refund, I also wanted a return of the £3000 deposit and to cancel the sale altogether. I told him that had I been told on my initial enquiries about the vehicle that I would still be waiting for it with no idea of an actual date of collection by October, I would have never gone ahead with the order.

New Sales Manager blew cold on my deposit refund and said Marquis has things in its contract to 'protect itself'. I told him that I wanted him to call head office to instigate the process of refund there and then and he flat out refused to do that. He said that there is a process that must be followed and he would be doing it later today. I stayed very calm (no voice raising etc.) but he was actually hostile to me, telling me I wasn't listening to him. Given the way I have been treated, any professional person would let me have my say but he just didn't want to listen to me and got up and walked away several times while I was explaining the situation and saying how unsatisfactory it all was.

I'm going to get stick from people in this forum but I left him with the details and he said that he would be back in touch later today or by 'first thing' tomorrow morning. When I pressed him on what he meant by first thing he got really shirty and said 'first thing means 10am because we don't open until 9am'.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people would've chained themselves to the desk or refused to budge but I'm just not like that. With his assurance that he would sort it out and would speak to him director about the deposit refund, I left. I was red of face and fuming inside and it felt like leaving the headmaster's office. I'm subsequently annoyed with myself that I left but there you are.

I wrote a long and formal complaint which included everything that had happened, with date etc. and sent it via their website. Part of my complaint was now about the attitude of New Sales Manager (NSM) and, ridiculously, the Marquis website provides no details of where to send the complaint, stating only that you should email it to your local branch who would forward it on. I called NSM and asked him to give me direct contact details. He resolutely refused to do so. When I asked why he said it was because the process has to be followed. It seems obvious that Marquis is structured in such a way as to protect their head office directly wherever possible.

I sent him my complaint and used their online form to also forward it to the Head Office option in the dropdown menu. No actual email address or telephone available.

This afternoon I have been called by the company Sales Directory. He was much more calm and professional, even though all he did was explain the situation again despite the fact I am very aware of it by now and told him so.

Just in case I've not made it clear, here it is in a very brief nutshell.

Marquis needs a code from Stellanis. They then provide that code to the DVLA who issue the V55 on the vehicle which means they can they register it formally to me and it becomes road legal. Stellanis are not delivering that code despite 'numerous requests'. Sales Director guy told me what NSM and others have told me previously, that the 'big guns' of the company are now involved in trying to get this code from Stellantis.

Of course, at this point I couldn't really give a monkey's. I've had enough of dealing with Marquis and do not wish to give them any more of my custom. I have explained that I want to cancel the whole thing and have a refund of my deposit as well.

+ 10 minute pause +

That pause is because as I am writing, I've had a call from the Assistant Manager from Marquis. He has again explained the situation and was another level up again in professionalism and politeness. At this point I am convinced that this is as much a frustration for them as it is for me. I think it's a inexcusable way to run a business (to sell something you can't necessarily provide) so I'm not excusing that, but I do believe given we are where we are that they are doing what they can to progress things.

Apparently every other company they deal with has an online system in place but Stellantis still conduct business by paperwork in the post. That's not my problem, obviously. Every person I have spoken to at Marquis has told me they are all aware of the delays with Stellantis and THAT is my single gripe.

To repeat it again, nobody at any time warned me there could be a delay. Even if it didn't happen all the time with Stellantis, it happens enough that it's a known issue within the company and I should have been told that I could be waiting an indefinite time for my vehicle. That was never mentioned until after everything was paid and I had a date to collect it, which was then cancelled. At best that's negligent, at worst it might be described as a bit shady. The bottom line is that I would never have gone ahead with the sale had I known I would still be waiting in October, still without hint of an actual date.

I now have promises right up the line - from the branch manager to the company sales manager to the company assistant managing director (assistant to the managing director ;) - joke) that they will all get back to me tomorrow with details of my refund.

Is this situation ideal? No. Far from it. Am I doing what I personally am able to do? Yes.

What I hope will be a final update will follow.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It'll cost me £115 which will be money well spent
£205 as you will be claiming £3,000 + expenses + interest which takes you over the £3,000 mark for the £115 price range.

BUT you get it back.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Devon Firefly
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
What a sorry saga. Even if the purchase had gone ahead I hate to think what Marquis would be like to deal with if a warranty claim had to be made in the future. As I understand from Google search email address of CEO of auto sleepers is : geoff.scott@marquisleisure.co.uk
To be fair, not all Marquis branches are the same - our last two ‘vans were Elddis Majestics, and the warranty work required was effected in a timely and competent manner by Marquis Suffolk (Ipswich), and Gloucestershire (Tewksbury)………
It’s just a shame that Elddis do not appear to have particularly good quality control before their ‘vans leave the factory (IMHO)…..

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Well (note that I'm not condoning or excusing, just saying what they say), they claim the deposit return is more discretionary (it isn't, but whatever) so it has to be signed off by some decision maker. I'll get it. Of that I have no doubt. As others have mentioned it'll be far easier to purse such an amount through small claims and I'm 100% certainly entitled to it.
A company can't just charge you a deposit and then refuse to return it because they can't fulfil the sale.
Bollocks.

You lose the deposit if you change your mind on the purchase.

NOT if they fail to deliver and breach the contract and your statutory rights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Bollocks.

You lose the deposit if you change your mind on the purchase.

NOT if they fail to deliver and breach the contract and your statutory rights.
You need to research the law.
And please don't be rude to me as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I didn't read the comment from Tombola as a personal sleight on yourself, more a robust rejection of the comment from Marquis to Sir Pooley in respect of his deposit and it depending on their goodwill as to whether it was returned.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I wasn't being rude to the poster...

I was being rude to the company that its bollocks and it is.

I thought that was plain to see.
Obviously not in your case.

As for "the law" (its consumer rights actually) if you point me to where he loses his "deposit" or if was a "part payment" (maybe even called a reserve fee in the terms)...when the seller didn't keep to the agreed service and cant sell the product to another customer I'll be learning something new.

Remember the op didn't cancel on a whim it was due to the seller not meeting their obligations.

But of course they will try and rely on the "non refundable deposit" but isn't set in stone in UK rights and does depend on "advance Payment" issues.

They may just maaay..be able to argue they can keep some admin costs from it if the vehicle.was a special or custom order

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do not underestimate how stressful a small claim (up to £5k) can be for a litigant in person. Even though the final hearing itself might be in front of a sympathetic District Judge, the road to that hearing is a real PITA of paperwork, gobbledygook Rules, court fees, and deadlines. Getting judgment is often only half the battle. In my experience enforcing it against a slippery defendant can be just as difficult and take a long time with no guarantee you will get any money back, especially out of an insolvent company. To be clear, I am not saying Marquis or any of its group companies is insolvent. Merely that the facts as stated in this thread might raise a red flag or two, one of the tests being failure to pay debts as they fall due. I still remember when Discover Leisure (a major Dealer at the time) went bust out of the blue during the October NEC Show and its stand had to be closed! There are many other dealers who are no longer trading - I see there is a thread on this. You can't go by appearances. Trust No One as the saying goes. Once they have your cash, the risk is on you.

If Marquis refunds the whole £3k deposit, that is where I would draw a line and put this woeful saga down to experience.
I agree with all of that.

Small claims limit is now up to £10k though.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back