MapsMe Subscription: £46 p.y for Unlimited Access (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 7, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7yrs
MapsMe have added a lot more fancy features but limited the amount of bookmarks you can have and how many maps you can download. For unlimited access they want £46 (this is with a 22% discount) per annum.
They informed me I had reached my bookmark limit and could not add anymore without paying up.
Somebody on their Play store page recommended Organic Maps. After playing with it for a few hours it seems like a rip off of the old functional MapsMe. And it lets you import your bookmarks from MapsMe
So I'm pleased so far, but wondered if anybody had any app. recommendations please

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Mapy.cz is extremely useful for offline maps.

I have 15,000 POIs stored already on maps.me but haven't used it this trip.

I created Google map of likely destinations prior to leaving but only used the mapy.cz offline (download before you go) version in a month

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep I got a shock when I went to download another map they wanted £55 a year for if you want more than 10 maps already have 20 or 30 downloaded. Wouldn't mind if it was ten quid.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mapy.cz is extremely useful for offline maps.

I have 15,000 POIs stored already on maps.me but haven't used it this trip.

I created Google map of likely destinations prior to leaving but only used the mapy.cz offline (download before you go) version in a month
I down loaded it when you reckomented it last year, mapping is very could but came a cropper on a cycle route in Spain tried to take me across a sandy beach which was impassable on a bike.
Been using it the last few days in the New Forest and it's behaved itself.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I down loaded it when you reckomented it last year, mapping is very could but came a cropper on a cycle route in Spain tried to take me across a sandy beach which was impassable on a bike.
Took us up a road WITHOUT a cycle path today. First time it was incorrect even though there were signposts suggesting it was a cycle path.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Yep I got a shock when I went to download another map they wanted £55 a year for if you want more than 10 maps already have 20 or 30 downloaded. Wouldn't mind if it was ten quid.
What happens if you undownload the maps you have got but then download less than 10 of where you are off to ?

OP
OP
angelad
Dec 7, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7yrs
I've imported 39 bookmarks (3425pois) into Organic Maps without any hassle and deleted MapsMe as without paying it's no good for me. Had a quick play with Mapy.cz and it looks good but can't see a way to import bookmarks/pois. Help says it can be done using Tool tab which I don't seem to have? Has anybody managed this please?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I've imported 39 bookmarks (3425pois) into Organic Maps without any hassle and deleted MapsMe as without paying it's no good for me. Had a quick play with Mapy.cz and it looks good but can't see a way to import bookmarks/pois. Help says it can be done using Tool tab which I don't seem to have? Has anybody managed this please?
I have done it but I think it was a transfer from a Google map so only about 200 POIs but that included routes.
It was my Languedoc map.
I LL have a look and a think as to how I did it

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you go to the bottom left of the map there is a hamburger (3 lines) to press then I clicked my maps then viewed in map format.
Screenshot_2023-07-07-09-17-05-02_9878825fbf2c08788abc4546c93bd890.jpg

This is mine, which I don't usually use, but my best guess is this is an almagamation of 3 of my maps created in Google maps and transferred over.

I suspect it is easy to do as I did it

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
There is a "create folder" that looks like it might fit your bill.
Also just noticed maps can be shared.

My map is only 2 maps I created (Languedoc and wild swimming)

I won't share the wild swimming map unless I know someone has bought the book.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
I used maps.me in Ireland last year and Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France this year. It is really useful. I've taken my dog on many walks I wouldn't have known about otherwise. Also great for cycling. I have now cancelled it and will resume monthly payments when I go abroad again.

OP
OP
angelad
Dec 7, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7yrs
Hmmm, just looked at MapsMe on my tablet (deleted from phone) It is now offering Pro with a monthly option £2.99pm and annual £27.99pa. Has everybody got this or is it because I purchased (3 days free) and then cancelled giving the reason: Too expensive? Might think again now

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Hmmm, just looked at MapsMe on my tablet (deleted from phone) It is now offering Pro with a monthly option £2.99pm and annual £27.99pa. Has everybody got this or is it because I purchased (3 days free) and then cancelled giving the reason: Too expensive? Might think again now
I’ve also got this offer since I’ve cancelled.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Tried Mapy.cz but when I tried to create an account it wanted me to text a foreign mobile number, which seemed excessive. Have others created an account? Any spam problems?

bms09

Free Member
Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Any update here? I realised just this morning that I've lost thousands of favourited and bookmarked spots across continents, along with downloaded maps. I am certain that I used the app during the Christmas holiday season for navigation and bookmarking, so the loss of data (no any bookmark pins at all!!!) has left me perplexed. Additionally, I noticed a new "Get PRO" button on the app.

Do you think it is possible to retrieve those bookmarked data? Each bookmark represents a significant personal memory or a noteworthy location. They're very sentimental to me :/

bms09

Free Member
Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Been a user of MAPS.ME for about a decade; I've kept no backup of these bookmarks :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
:welco:
I found to load new maps it wasn't enough to delete the existing maps, I had to uninstall the app and reload load it, in the process it deleted all my bookmarks luckily nothing important.

Also found out Maps me changed the bookmark files from KML to KMB in 2018 which is an unreadable binary file.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Been using Mapy cz for a number of years it's mostly right, occasionally left means right or visa versa on marked cycle routes but mainly it's very good for no cost.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I used to use MapMe until they wanted to charge, a shame because it was good.
I now use Footpath route planner, which is a free apple app

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Any update here? I realised just this morning that I've lost thousands of favourited and bookmarked spots across continents, along with downloaded maps. I am certain that I used the app during the Christmas holiday season for navigation and bookmarking, so the loss of data (no any bookmark pins at all!!!) has left me perplexed. Additionally, I noticed a new "Get PRO" button on the app.

Do you think it is possible to retrieve those bookmarked data? Each bookmark represents a significant personal memory or a noteworthy location. They're very sentimental to me :/
Not much help to you bms09 now and me not being a Maps.me user this may be a very dumb question. However I'll ask.

Is it not possible to download all the POIs into a spreadsheet format? Once on your own device you can edit or manipulate the data as required and if need be upload the modified version.

I keep all my Aires info on a MS Access database which, every now and again, I can upload to my personal Google maps having first either deleted a previous version or save it under a different name.

1705055417216.png

bms09

Free Member
Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Not much help to you bms09 now and me not being a Maps.me user this may be a very dumb question. However I'll ask.

Is it not possible to download all the POIs into a spreadsheet format? Once on your own device you can edit or manipulate the data as required and if need be upload the modified version.

I keep all my Aires info on a MS Access database which, every now and again, I can upload to my personal Google maps having first either deleted a previous version or save it under a different name.

View attachment 853775
rod_vw Thanks for the suggestion. But no POIs to download anymore :/ But that seems a good option!

I've sent several messages to various emails of MAPS.ME, and I've got one seemingly positive reply. Claiming they can help me retrieve my pins/bookmarks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think you may have a problem with that as in 2018 they changed the file format to KMB which as far as I can find out it is a unreadable binary file format.
It does sound odd as the app must be able to read it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

I went through that with maps.me and thought i had lost the lot.

I dont have the maps.me app anymore but I remember playing with the top right hand side hamburger type thing until you got to a choice of showing which pois you wanted to see.

It maybe that you have gone to the default section of no POIs after losing the downloaded maps and they are there but the choice is not to show them at the moment.

Hopefully that makes sense to you

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021

bms09

Free Member
Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
I went through that with maps.me and thought i had lost the lot.

I dont have the maps.me app anymore but I remember playing with the top right hand side hamburger type thing until you got to a choice of showing which pois you wanted to see.

It maybe that you have gone to the default section of no POIs after losing the downloaded maps and they are there but the choice is not to show them at the moment.

Hopefully that makes sense to you
suavecarve yeah, I've been exploring the app for hours now, and I've noticed a substantial change in the interface. The new app no longer features the hamburger icon (those too-thin buns! :)), which used to be present in the previous version.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
suavecarve yeah, I've been exploring the app for hours now, and I've noticed a substantial change in the interface. The new app no longer features the hamburger icon (those too-thin buns! :)), which used to be present in the previous version.
Can you find a section which asks you which POIs you want to be able to see ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back