LV insurance - again...........

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Just got our annual multi-vehicle (2 cars and the motorhome) policy renewed for another year.
At the end of the call, the operator asked if either of us used our cars for "delivery purposes".
I queried this and said yes - we deliver friends and family to their houses, food and other necessities to our house, dogs to the beach for walkies etc, but not for financial gain. No problem.
I also mentioned (foolishly, but honestly) that I would be working part-time in the run up to Xmas (as I do every year) helping one of our local businesses with food deliveries, to which I was informed that if I did, our policy would be cancelled.
I went to great lengths to explain that I would be using one of their vehicles, insured on their policy for this, and not my own vehicles as the deliveries had, by law, to be made in a refrigerated vehicle, which neither of our cars are.
I was then informed that if I was to partake of this part-time employment, our policy would be cancelled.
So - no part-time work for me.
Anyone else come across this?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
should have kept schtum! I do on some silly regulations/T&C's/Rules what ever you call it. Won't talk about them here.

On a side point. Have you ever checked that you multi car policy is actually cheaper than individual ones?. I had multicar with Admirial one year. The following year I got quotes for individual policies with other companies and found them miles cheaper than the multicar one.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I was then informed that if I was to partake of this part-time employment, our policy would be cancelled.
So - no part-time work for me.
Anyone else come across this?
I'd say she didnt listen to you, she assumed you were using your vehicle even after you said.

thats no different than you driving your vehicle to work parking up then being a lorry driver

Upvote 0
OP
OP
garry55
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
should have kept schtum! I do on some silly regulations/T&C's/Rules what ever you call it. Won't talk about them here.

On a side point. Have you ever checked that you multi car policy is actually cheaper than individual ones?. I had multicar with Admirial one year. The following year I got quotes for individual policies with other companies and found them miles cheaper than the multicar one.
WE use LV because they are one of the few insurers that will provide European cover for our 2007 motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
they do have some odd rules, i lost being able to drive someone else's car third party when i went to work in motor trade even though if it was for work it would be on work policy, now only work occasionally but they said would still be classed as employed until i stopped completely

Upvote 0
OP
OP
garry55
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
I'd say she didnt listen to you, she assumed you were using your vehicle even after you said.

thats no different than you driving your vehicle to work parking up then being a lorry driver
I was tempted to call back and maybe get another operator, but I will do a bit of research over the weekend and give them a call on Monday.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
garry55
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
they do have some odd rules, i lost being able to drive someone else's car third party when i went to work in motor trade even though if it was for work it would be on work policy, now only work occasionally but they said would still be classed as employed until i stopped completely
What I don't understand is how they would know if I had an accident in the company's van, as the claim would be processed through the company's insurers. I know that there is a database that all insurers can access, but would they really get to know that I had been involved in an accident covered by someone else's policy?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder if that's the problem if you work even part time do you have to tell your insurance you have a change of occupation I bet delivery driver has a higher loading than retired. In a similar vein when I retired my professional indemnity insurance ( which should be in place until all the people I have ever seen at work are 25 years old) became free as long as I do no paid work of any kind. If I do any paid work I have to pay for the indemnity insurance.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Is it because you insured for social, domestic & pleasure only & not travel to & from work extra cost

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
probably because you are not down as 'working'?
What I don't understand is how they would know if I had an accident in the company's van,
you're supposed to tell them about any accident in any vehicle

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Think you'll find LV don't insure anyone classed as a delivery driver and also musicians.

Re, how would they know if you'd had an accident in a works vehicle?

You would have to lie when asked any accidents, claims or convictions

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back