LV insurance… ridiculously cheap? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Hi All,

We get our first van (PVC on 6.36m Fiat auto) in 2 weeks and it’s cost is just short of 6 figures.

We got our reg. no. a few days ago and have been searching around for insurance.

Most of the ‘usual’ companies (Comfort, Safeguard, Ripe, CAMC etc) were around £1000 give or take but we tried LV who we have our current Multicar policy with, and they have added our van to our multi car policy for £300 a year.

They didn’t need the value of the van, just saying that it’ll be covered up to the value shown on our invoice. It’s not got breakdown cover but we’ll use the Fiat Assist for the first year but still, it seems really cheap.

LV is a ‘big name’ insurer and have a page on their website dedicated to campervan insurance and I’m not complaining but… should I be at all worried?

Anyone else had experience of LV for their insurance?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
'it’ll be covered 'up to' the value shown on our invoice'
I'm with Caravan Guard and for the first two years they would replace the van 'new for old'. It's now 6 years old and they say they will pay up to the value we agreed was the market value, which at the moment is £8k more than we paid for it.
I hate those two little words 'up to'. They get used too often these days and are usually in much smaller text than anything around it ;)

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Hi All,

We get our first van (PVC on 6.36m Fiat auto) in 2 weeks and it’s cost is just short of 6 figures.

We got our reg. no. a few days ago and have been searching around for insurance.

Most of the ‘usual’ companies (Comfort, Safeguard, Ripe, CAMC etc) were around £1000 give or take but we tried LV who we have our current Multicar policy with, and they have added our van to our multi car policy for £300 a year.

They didn’t need the value of the van, just saying that it’ll be covered up to the value shown on our invoice. It’s not got breakdown cover but we’ll use the Fiat Assist for the first year but still, it seems really cheap.

LV is a ‘big name’ insurer and have a page on their website dedicated to campervan insurance and I’m not complaining but… should I be at all worried?

Have you considered the fiat camper care extended warranty about £900 it covers the vehicle till 5 years old and includes breakdown assistance. Only available for 14 days after purchase of the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
LV own a few other names as well, a very big company, that in turn is owned by one of the giants Ageas

OP
OP
L
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Have you considered the fiat camper care extended warranty about £900 it covers the vehicle till 5 years old and includes breakdown assistance. Only available for 14 days after purchase of the vehicle.
Bolti Thanks for this and yes, we have taken out the extended warranty. The van converters have done this for us.

I wasn’t sure if the extended warranty also extends the Fiat Assist breakdown for the full 5 years but if it does, that’s great 😀

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Went with LV for the first time last year for our new Adria and the price was £319.14 fully comp and with zero NCB - although they took into consideration many years of driving on our company fleet policy.

This year and the renewal premium has dropped to £311.10 due to the 1 year NCB. As my wife’s car insurance is also with LV I did investigate having a combined multi car and house policy with them, but strangely it came in at a higher price than keeping the individual ones!

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Bolti Thanks for this and yes, we have taken out the extended warranty. The van converters have done this for us.

I wasn’t sure if the extended warranty also extends the Fiat Assist breakdown for the full 5 years but if it does, that’s great 😀

Just make sure you are being sold the Fiat Camper Extended Warranty (which can normally only be purchased from a Fiat Professional Dealer) and not an extended insurance-based warranty, which is usually more profitable for the seller.

OP
OP
L
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
Just make sure you are being sold the Fiat Camper Extended Warranty (which can normally only be purchased from a Fiat Professional Dealer) and not an extended insurance-based warranty, which is usually more profitable for the seller.
Millcourt Thanks… they are getting it from Fiat Professional. It’s a Consort van so they hopefully should know what they’re doing 🤞

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As my sister works for LV apparently I can get staff discount. Got to say the last twice she has written her car off they have been excellent. Payment in her bank when the car gets loaded on the lorry. The travel insurance was good but medical side outsourced so was a real pain to sort when she got taken to hospital off a cruise

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I agree, make sure it is the proper Fiat Professional warranty not an insurance one. You can arrange it over the phone with Adams Morey, Portsmouth, they were extremely efficient when I did this a few weeks ago. You only have 14 days from the date of first registration, my 5 years runs from the registration date not the purchase date. 02392 691122

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
As said before, been with LV a while now. Have made a glass claim in France which was dealt with fine. Price so far has always been competitive (some would say cheap) but they now have our home insurance as well.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hi All,

You will only get very limited contents cover
Make sure these are covered
On the van or house insurance
All my van contents are on the van insurance

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115

LV insurance… ridiculously cheap​

Depends on who and where you are. Seemed cheap enough when I first used them two years ago. Last year after one claim free year, the premium doubled. Went elsewhere.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve been with them for a while now, and they've been solid. Never had any issues, and the price is unbeatable compared to what I used to pay.

When it comes to insurance, it's all about getting the best bang for your buck, right? LV seems to get that. Of course, everyone’s needs are different, but if you haven't already, give it a go and start comparing what you’re currently paying with LV's rates. You might be surprised at how much you can save.
I agree. But it will take a fair difference in price for me to change. They are spot-on.

Sep 25, 2021
Burntwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 331
Exp
Hi All,

2 cars and motorhome on multi car insurance with LV no one else can come close on prices.
paul.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I tried to get a quote from LV in May but as soon as I said it was kept in storage the conversation ended, I was told they no longer quote if it's not kept at your home address. 🤷‍♂️
Likewise back in March on a CaSSOA Gold site.

Maybe a Glasgow / Not Glasgow thing?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Likewise back in March on a CaSSOA Gold site.

Maybe a Glasgow / Not Glasgow thing?
Looks like it more than just us as Frank stays in Definitely Not Glasgow!:whistle2:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes it does, took mine out yesterday with AM.

LV quoted the same as NFU which was nearly £300 cheaper than Comfort, Comfort don't seem to like Carthagos I had been with them for 14 years. Went with NFU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back