MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Total Energie refused to serve us with LPG today, they handed me a printed A4 sheet which translated to something along the lines that it is illegal to sell LPG unless its used for vehicle propulsion.

Thankfully, the next garage we tried, Shell, served us no problems whatsoever ..... and no special adapter required, standard UK type fitting.

0,73 euros at Total
0.84 euros at Shell - but at least we could buy it !!!

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Some Total in France insist it’s an EU-wide policy - but I have filled at Total in France (external filler point, not bottles themselves). A Repsol station in spin last year told me it was a company policy - and then gave me the address of another Repsol station who would do it!!! Just keep looking via myLPG.eu I have usually needed adapters, but sometimes a station will have one. At at least 3 across Benelux, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Total Energie refused to serve us with LPG today, they handed me a printed A4 sheet which translated to something along the lines that it is illegal to sell LPG unless its used for vehicle propulsion.

Thankfully, the next garage we tried, Shell, served us no problems whatsoever ..... and no special adapter required, standard UK type fitting.

0,73 euros at Total
0.84 euros at Shell - but at least we could buy it !!!
Officially, this is true throughout Europe, including the UK.

LPG for domestic fuel is taxed at a different rate to
LPG for transportation fuel.

Hence it is sold as 'Autogas'
Weather the actual mix of butane/propane is slightly different between the products, I do not know.

(French Autogas is known to have an oily residue, if you can, avoid filling with LPG in France, buy elsewhere)

In the UK, as the tax for transportation LPG is higher than domestic LPG, if you are silly enough to pay it (and we all do!)
then the government is happy to take your money.
(Especially as the amount of LPG used by motorhomes is tiny in the grand scheme of things)

This is one of the reasons why I;
  • Have an external filler point. (No opening of locker doors, or wrestling with large bottles)
  • The LPG filler point is on the same side as the diesel filler point. (And at much the same height, between knee and elbow)
  • If anyone asks, my motorhome is a hybrid and runs on LPG.
  • I always fill with LPG first at the fuel station.
  • If I can not fill with LPG for some reason, then I do not fill with diesel either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back