LPG adapters? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Hi All,

We’re getting our first van in a month which has a 25l underslung LPG tank and I’ve just read that Continental Europe uses different filling attachments to the UK (which I didn’t realise!).

So, would something like this…

… cover most bases in Europe or has anyone any other suggestions please?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’ve never used LPG before!

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Yep a pack like that will sort you out . Out of interest we just finished a 5 week run and whilst we were on ehu 90% of the time we cooked on gas and used 25% of our single bottle , we heat by diesel though . The fact is we could do a years holiday on one bottle

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi All,

We’re getting our first van in a month which has a 25l underslung LPG tank and I’ve just read that Continental Europe uses different filling attachments to the UK (which I didn’t realise!).

+1, Good set that. Incidentally, LPG is GPL in France, more widely available there especially on National Routes, but dearer there.
Mike.

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Have 2x 11kg Gaslow refillable and been out a month and have just used one bottle for fridge and hot water for dishes/washing not been on hook up yet! Also no Solar!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Hi All,

It will suit you fine. In France you will GPL cheaper off motorways . Total seem to try to stop you filling up if it is for cooking etc. . If you are far enough from kiosk, "what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over" but generally no problem at any other outlets.

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Hi All,

Should have mentioned, suggest you fill up in u.k. anyway, a few quid either way is of no consequence' when you have the piece of mind that you have a full tank.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I filled my Gaslows at the Auchan supermarket at Dieppe on Friday - 0.989 euros per litre. A near enough guide is that 2 litres equals one kg.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also make sure you get a UK adaptor with the van, if it has the larger round filler they have the UK one built in.

I always fill up in the UK before leaving as its 100 % propane. Abroad it can be upto 65% butane depending on time of year & country.

I try to avoid filling up in France as their gas as high oily residues I wouldn't fill up there if you don't have filters before the regulator.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If you want to fill up with gas and diesel at the same garage I always get the gas first then diesel, if you happen to have a jobs worth on duty and they see you moving from diesel to the gas pump they may stop you especially at a total garage. A go gpl pumps have their own card machine as a lot of supermarket fuel stations are unmanned

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I was looking for a LPG fill recently and called at John Styte Services just off the M5 near Stroud.
The pump wasn't compatible with my Gaslow filler, they didn't have an adapter and said it was an unusual fitting.
It seemed to need a bayonet type adapter ? None linked to in the OP would have worked.
Texaco garage south of Taunton no problem, attendant said the fitting is the commonly found type and no adapter needed.
Anyone know what's going on here
I need a euro adapter for Spain but do I need to look for a bayonet adapter as well ,?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
IMG_20240623_205108684_HDR.jpg

Looking at it now, it seems to have two lugs for a bayonet type fitting so I'm not sure why their pump didn't fit.
I'll just use my local place, no problem there

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's a standard bayonet must have just been an odd pump.
If you get the problem again you can just screw another bayonet in to extend the filler.

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
I've used that John Stayte pump, had no problem! Standard UK connection!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had two of the Spanish adaptors and both have given a leaky connection. Fortunately most places can lend an adapter that works. No problem with the other adapters.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I have two Safefills. I have used the French 'dish' with ease. Used the Spanish 'bullet' adapter for the first time this May and it was a right pain. With the aid of the garage attendant we eventually succeeded.

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
View attachment 914024

Looking at it now, it seems to have two lugs for a bayonet type fitting so I'm not sure why their pump didn't fit.
I'll just use my local place, no problem there
Some nozzles are too deep for the two lugs to lock on. I have an extension nozzle which gives a 2nd set of lugs and more depth. I somehow doubt that I will ever need to use it but I have it just in case! I also have the French/Belgian/Swiss/Italian adapter but not the Spanish one. I currently have circa 25 litres of LPG across two bottles. I might have emptied one and refilled before setting out for two weeks in August/September. I have earmarked a garage on Lake Como where I can top up if I need to but I somehow think I shall have returned before I fill up.

P.S. To the OP - Do you have a gauge recording how much LPG is left?. That would be nice to have!!!

Chris

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Agree.
If you fill up in Belgiun/Germany/Austria make sure you have a pair of grips handy to get your adaptor out of the gun.
I haven't tried filling in those countries yet but aren't the adaptors screwed into the main bayonet connector and therefore captive? Would appreciate if you could expand. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I haven't tried filling in those countries yet but aren't the adaptors screwed into the main bayonet connector and therefore captive? Would appreciate if you could expand. (y)
The gun is threaded and screws onto the adaptor & when you unscrew the gun the adaptor often comes with it.
Belgium has cheapest LPG in Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back