Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Which is how I came to be thinking that if you turn the switch on the device to 110v, maybe that means it'll do something internally (like cut off half the heating element) so it only draws half the current/watts/amps/joules/kangaroos or whatever...
For a simple heater with only one output power setting, it is actually just a switch. For 110V, two 110V heating elements in parallel will produce the required amount of power. For 220V, switching the same two 110V elements so they are in series will produce the same power from the same elements.

A real hair dryer will have several heat settings for each voltage. but the same principle applies.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
For 110V, two 110V heating elements in parallel will produce the required amount of power. For 220V, switching the same two 110V elements so they are in series will produce the same power from the same elements.
Thank you. I wondered what the simple switch would do but it's perfectly obvious once I think through that explanation, thank you.

But it does alarm me that there's no sign of a safety device to stop me putting 220v through 'the wrong way', with potential catastrophe in consequence.
There must be lots of people who switch their hair dryer to 110 for going to somewhere weird like America and forget to switch it back when they come home.. Why is the nation not on fire?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Balls to it I'll just get the smaller inverter and she can stick her head out of the window:LOL:. I'll have a look on Amazon.
This would require an even smaller inverter and fixes the problem for weeks on end :D :p

1698955309599.png

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
My wife uses this one and is happy with it. It's 1000watt but it's the only decent 'low wattage' one I could find.
Wahl Travel Hair Dryer, Hair Dryer with Attachments, Dryer for Travelling, Compact Hairdryer, Foldable Travel Dryer, Two Heat Settings, Worldwide Voltage, Portable Travel Hairdryers, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077Y62HGT/?tag=mhf04-21
Just had our upgrade by Offgrid Power Solutions including 1200w inverter.

After much research along with your recommendation we bought the Wahl hairdryer and I tested it today with a confusing result.

On the lowest setting (440w) the inverter switches off within 2 seconds. Before sending it back to Amazon, I decided to try the high setting (880w) and to my surprise, no problem.

This seems to be the wrong way round, have you had a similar experience?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My wife uses 1 or more of the following :giggle:

towel.png sun.png vent.pngScreenshot 2024-09-29 13.52.18.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.