Low emission sticker Austria (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
it may not affect you but the Arlberg tunnel is closed until November I believe

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi all
I’m heading to Croatia at end of April
Heading from Rotterdam down through Germany, now I have crit air for France and same thing for Germany, I spending a couple of nights at campsite near Innsbruck before heading south
Now I’ve looked online and it appears only a few areas of Austria require the sticker , Innsbruck doesn’t appear to be in the affected areas , any one been through Austria with or without one?
What do ya reckon ?
Drove through the other day , no toll, no sticker, no nowt

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not come across an Austrian Emissions sticker.
But you do need an Austrian Vignette.
Available in petrol stations and corner shops close to the border.
You only need one if using toll roads which you don't need to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks all , this “ go box” is this a requirement or just to save you stopping at toll booths?
Ta
Avoid the toll roads ( easily done ) and you don't need to bother.
A requirement because there are no toll booths so it is the only way to pay.
Or avoid the toll roads like I did .. and it's very easy to do.

The Austrian couple I travelled with in Morocco last year live in Austria and only use toll roads with their car. Their camper never goes on them . They told me it isn't required if you're not on the toll roads . Unlike Switzerland where it apparently is.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
All good info thanks
mines is 3700kg according to paperwork , it’s a 2008
Avoiding motorways might be an option but that’ll be a pain
Going from Innsbruck to lake bled so just crossing the thinner bit of Austria

This is getting to be a bit complicated and a PIA

also probably coming back a similar way but via Salzburg so through middle of Austria.
Might just come back via Italy Switzerland and join Germany at lake Konstanz
I’ll check out ASFINAG site bladerunner mentioned.
Thanks again
It's actually very easy there's a non toll road runs alongside the toll road all.the way from Innsbruck to Italy. And from Innsbruck east aswell . Think its the 182 , I used it just the other day

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can't see how they can make you!

But suspect its a tale from the usual suspects who still dont accept that the ham sandwich thing was a publicity stunt, and religiously update their alcohol testers :unsure::giggle:
They can't make you. If you're on a non toll road and the road is closed you have the option to pull over and stop or find am alternative route . Can't be forced on to.a toll road. And if you're not on a toll road you don't need vignette or go box.

I was told this by Austrian citizens just the other day as I asked them the situation regarding tolls . I've never used toll roads in Austria the 4 times I've drove through it. Their own camper never goes on the toll roads either . Only their car.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We drove through down to Natterersee campsite outside innsbruck ( which is fantastic well worth a visit ) then onto lake bled Slovenia avoiding toll roads and it seemed to take a lonnnnng time, then onto Croatia. Return straight through Austria to just outside Munich using Go box. We are 3700kgs so only 200kgs over but it cost us about 150 euros which I thought was really expensive as it’s not a particularly long trip on the A10.
Also the traffic was brutal roadworks a good part of the way and stationary for 2 or 3 chunks of 45 mins at a time a proper PIA!!!
Austria is very nice but I don’t think I’ll be going back unless my van goes on a wee diet to lose the 200 kgs to avoid the Go box
😱 I drove non toll from sterzing Italy to Innsbruck Austria no toll In around 90 minutes. Then from Innsbruck to munster in another 90 minutes. And then from munster past aldersee in to Germany. No tolls , and cheaper diesel than both Italy and Germany 😁

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
So
I reckon the plan is to get a Go box as I enter Austria, they seem to be available at some service stations and use it while going through both down and up.
Has anyone bought one before, are they easy to get , set up and use ?

I’m fully aware I’m starting to sound a wee bit needy
Thanks for all advice so far
Cheers
You can get one posted to you before you go and get it set up with automatic payment via DD. Easy to set up and use. It beeps when you go under a sensor so you know it's working.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I have Slippymurphy, registered with Asfinag before going and sending all documents to them online via an online account. They were very helpful with explanation via email.

Took the originals and my registration email to Go Box sales point in Fern Pass and handed over the huge credit, 75€ I seem to recall, and 10€ purchase for the box. It was all connected and I placed it on screen in the required position and that was it. The box is live all the time and pings as you go under motorway gantries deducting the charge. I think around 24c/km back around 2013.

The big bind is it is only valid for 2 years and you have to hand it back for a credit refund, or start afresh and have the old credit added to new 75€ account, so you can end up with well over 120€ in credit as I did.

You could do with at least 2 nights at Natterersee to spend a day in Innsbruck on the free bus

The Old Brenner road to Italy is also a nice drive and ok for your Motorhome weight. Park up in Brenner (Italy) and enjoy a coffee 😊

After all the hassle of the Go Box I started crossing off motorways and it is easy, even through Innsbruck
I've had my gobox for longer than 2 years and it's still working. Used it this year. Wonder if that's cos I pay by DD?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You can get one posted to you before you go and get it set up with automatic payment via DD. Easy to set up and use. It beeps when you go under a sensor so you know it's working.
Good to know, I’ve never used one but I thought they had stopped sending them to the U.K. since B****t??

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Good to know, I’ve never used one but I thought they had stopped sending them to the U.K. since B****t??
Yes that's possible. It is in the back of my mind that is the case but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
May not be ?? Straight up through Austria on motorway
Was to busy counting the pings from the overhead gantries at 1 euro per km 😡

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
so gentlemen, what non motorway route would you recommend from say insbrook down into italy ?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I’d keep away from Innsbruck, I was diverted off that road (171) onto the A12 when I was on the bike, cops at the off roundabout checking vignettes🤷‍♂️
I’d get off the A8 in Germany at Bernau am Chiemsee and take the 305 down to reit am winkl then the 176/161down to Kitzbühel then onto mittersill, then you choose either the grossglockner (€36 ish) or the Felbertauerntunnel (€11) both down to Lienz, you are now in southern Austria, there’s only the A10 and A2 to avoid near Villach👍👍
You can then enter Italy near tarvisio,
Or do as Northernraider says and use the old Brenner pass👍
All depends where in Italy you’re going🤷‍♂️👍

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I’d keep away from Innsbruck, I was diverted off that road (171) onto the A12 when I was on the bike, cops at the off roundabout checking vignettes🤷‍♂️
I’d get off the A8 in Germany at Bernau am Chiemsee and take the 305 down to reit am winkl then the 176/161down to Kitzbühel then onto mittersill, then you choose either the grossglockner (€36 ish) or the Felbertauerntunnel (€11) both down to Lienz, you are now in southern Austria, there’s only the A10 and A2 to avoid near Villach👍👍
You can then enter Italy near tarvisio,
Or do as Northernraider says and use the old Brenner pass👍
All depends where in Italy you’re going🤷‍♂️👍
Not sure where any of those places are lol .. but I drove from sterzing Italy through Brenar to Innsbruck last week in under 90 minutes on a single road all the way .. it was the 182 running almost parallel to the a13 toll road. And had no issues.

So he's only doing that same journey in reverse.

There's a screen shot from my polar steps tracker . The red dot is sterzing Italy... I continued past Innsbruck to munster where I stayed 2 nights then north past achensee in to bavaria.

No tolls , no vignette...nae hassles
Screenshot_20240715_162901_Polarsteps.jpg

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Not sure where any of those places are lol .. but I drove from sterzing Italy through Brenar to Innsbruck last week in under 90 minutes on a single road all the way .. it was the 182 running almost parallel to the a13 toll road. And had no issues.

So he's only doing that same journey in reverse.

There's a screen shot from my polar steps tracker . The red dot is sterzing Italy... I continued past Innsbruck to munster where I stayed 2 nights then north past achensee in to bavaria.

No tolls , no vignette...nae hassles View attachment 923407
It’s the scenic route (no chance of motorway) to southern Austria/Italy!
Your route is more direct, but I usually head for where my route brings you out😉👍👍

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It’s the scenic route (no chance of motorway) to southern Austria/Italy!
Your route is more direct, but I usually head for where my route brings you out😉👍👍
I thought he just wanted a direct run . I normally skip through Austria but I went to visit a couple I travelled with last year who live there. Its a pretty country but not flt friendly lol .. parkups are expensive unless you get local knowledge.

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
i just want a no hassle route from germany to the italian lakes , dont want motorways just a nice route without cops looking for cash

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
I know raider, i was just responding as its good manners
i intend to do innesbrook dues south as per your map ands down to the big lakes
:)

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I have a sticker, 94€ for 13 months, for 7€ a month it means I can hop on and off the Autobahn and not be concerned about being stopped or diverted....I do live in the Region though and am not always on holiday, mostly but not always :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back