Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years
Do we need a Go Box at less than 3.5t? Or just a vignette?
Less than 3.5t all you need is a 10 day vignette which costs 11.50 euros. Either digital or sticker. The ASFINAG website will tell you all you need to know.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
When we go to Ötzal. We stay off the motorway from Germany. I have heard the police can divert you into the motorway ?
I can't see how they can make you!

But suspect its a tale from the usual suspects who still dont accept that the ham sandwich thing was a publicity stunt, and religiously update their alcohol testers :unsure::giggle:

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
The whole issue of crossing Austria can be fraught with dangers I feel. Such as you must get the go box or vignette before you even put a wheel on one of their toll roads.

A few years ago I camped alongside a single German male in his Motorhome, I think, in Italy. His wife was back at home in Germany. He had entered Austria on the German motorway connecting onto the Austrian one. He had stopped at the very first service station in Austria and bought, then displayed he said, his vignette. He had not camped in Austria and crossed straight through the country.

After about a week of his arrival he said his wife had opened a letter with a ticket in it for not having a vignette on the Austrian motorway. He said he had been picked up by the gantry cctv cameras after entering and before he stopped to purchase the one I had seen on his windscreen. I seem to recall the fine was around 100€.

At the end of the day he had broken the letter of the law. He definitely had driven on one without it and had also failed to display one so they had him. Given he had bought one a short time later, which I guess could have been verified and probably there to clearly see when they put his VRM in their system, I was very surprised at them even sending him the fine. But I understand, with no personal experience, the Austrian police can be, and are, very officious.

A friend here in the U.K. once got a council parking ticket on a council car park because the correct value ticket had been bought from the long stay machine when they were parked in the short stay area of the same car park! Beggars belief for me especially when the correct machine was broken and a warden was fixing it. He told them to buy a ticket at any other machine. Needless today it was appealed and cancelled but what a lot of effort to do that as you couldn’t speak to them at county hall.

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
Sounds almost easier to go around which is tempting but a shame . I’ve been skiing in Austria numerous times and it really appeals as a campervan destination.
Need to think about it 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Been through Austria and Slovenia quite a few times in moho @5T never had a problem, never had a go/dars box, the penalty for that is some pretty alpine passes and the Großglockner if the weather is good, or the Felbertauerntunnel if it’s not so good🤷‍♂️😁😁

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds almost easier to go around which is tempting but a shame . I’ve been skiing in Austria numerous times and it really appeals as a campervan destination.
Need to think about it 🤔
We absolutely love camping in Austria, and travelling through to get to Italy or Slovenia and Croatia. The cycling is fantastic, mainly on off road paths. Scenery beautiful & if your lucky enough you may get to visit an alpine farm (restaurant) who can sell their own produce only in off season so as not to compete with the proper restaurants 🤞😜. We have, but via a tugger friend in their 4x4.

I preferred to keep off motorways there, re the Go Box, but now in a smaller van I may be happy to get the vignette if I need to make time, but that would certainly be at the expense of the scenery.

You’re going to love the camping Slippymurphy, I’d be interested to know your views of Natterersee after your visit, especially the quality of the facilities. I’ll say no more 😊 and we adore visiting Innsbruck time and time again.

Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years
We absolutely love camping in Austria, and travelling through to get to Italy or Slovenia and Croatia. The cycling is fantastic, mainly on off road paths. Scenery beautiful & if your lucky enough you may get to visit an alpine farm (restaurant) who can sell their own produce only in off season so as not to compete with the proper restaurants 🤞😜. We have, but via a tugger friend in their 4x4.

I preferred to keep off motorways there, re the Go Box, but now in a smaller van I may be happy to get the vignette if I need to make time, but that would certainly be at the expense of the scenery.

You’re going to love the camping Slippymurphy, I’d be interested to know your views of Natterersee after your visit, especially the quality of the facilities. I’ll say no more 😊 and we adore visiting Innsbruck time and time again.
Natterersee is a 5 star site with facilities to match. Lovely views from the back of the site, small lake, good restaurant, free shuttle bus to Innsbruck. We loved it.

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019

Many thanks for that good to hear , as I said do want to go to Austria as it’s a stunning country , currently trying to get the documents to figure the euro rating on van for go box.
Nothing on reg document , I have a cert of compliance all in French shows Co2 emissions but no euro number !
Can’t really take a French document to a garage at the border of Austria.
Or go on the wee roads , any thoughts on that ? I’ve no issues driving on the small roads , driven artics in my time and Moho is LHD just be a longer drive I expect
Next destination is lake Bled so along bottom of Austria

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Slippymurphy Natterersee is achievable without problem, we did it regularly in our 4t 8.5m van. We went Zeebrugge to Germany to near Fussen then through the Ferne Pass to Telfs and parallel to the motorway to Innsbruck by the airport. You cross over the motorway and up a windy hill to the exit onto the Old Brenner Road by the petrol station and immediately off to the campsite.

From there I’d go on the Old Brenner Road to Brenner then pick up the Italian toll motorway to almost Bressernone then back into Austria to Lienz then 100 and a bit further on off on the 110 to Kotschach, with a great campsite there. Then on the 111 then 83 across the border into Italy at Tarvisio. From there it is a real pleasant no toll road to Bled. This route avoids the Austrian toll roads and tunnels

Slovenia is a bit different now I understand with no toll booth payments on motorways and some other roads. you need a special vignette or go box type thing for HGV vans. So if you wanted to go camp on the ring road at Ljubljana campsite you need one now. Beautiful city to visit & easy bus from that site to centre. We would always visit it if anywhere near, we like it that much and the ACSI site is fine.

The changing of the toll roads was the problem and I couldn’t find anywhere to buy the correct heavy vignette to do it legally so we skipped it last time on our way to Croatia. The garages would have sold me a light vignette but I find t want to take the risk. The new toll system was only a week old so may well be easy now.

Have a look at the maps and a play with your sat nav and if you get stuck pm me and I’ll try to check my previous routes in more detail if you hive me destinations you want to visit. Hope this helps 😜

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Slippymurphy Natterersee is achievable without problem, we did it regularly in our 4t 8.5m van. We went Zeebrugge to Germany to near Fussen then through the Ferne Pass to Telfs and parallel to the motorway to Innsbruck by the airport. You cross over the motorway and up a windy hill to the exit onto the Old Brenner Road by the petrol station and immediately off to the campsite.

From there I’d go on the Old Brenner Road to Brenner then pick up the Italian toll motorway to almost Bressernone then back into Austria to Lienz then 100 and a bit further on off on the 110 to Kotschach, with a great campsite there. Then on the 111 then 83 across the border into Italy at Tarvisio. From there it is a real pleasant no toll road to Bled. This route avoids the Austrian toll roads and tunnels

Slovenia is a bit different now I understand with no toll booth payments on motorways and some other roads. you need a special vignette or go box type thing for HGV vans. So if you wanted to go camp on the ring road at Ljubljana campsite you need one now. Beautiful city to visit & easy bus from that site to centre. We would always visit it if anywhere near, we like it that much and the ACSI site is fine.

The changing of the toll roads was the problem and I couldn’t find anywhere to buy the correct heavy vignette to do it legally so we skipped it last time on our way to Croatia. The garages would have sold me a light vignette but I find t want to take the risk. The new toll system was only a week old so may well be easy now.

Have a look at the maps and a play with your sat nav and if you get stuck pm me and I’ll try to check my previous routes in more detail if you hive me destinations you want to visit. Hope this helps 😜
This is really helpful as we're planning a trip to Lake Garda via Austria. Fussen in en route. We also fancy a night or two in Nattersee, it looks amazing. Thank you.

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
I’ll update the forum just after I get released from custody for making an a#£e of the “go box “ system

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019

That’s is brilliant advice and will probably go that way
Many thanks once again the forum subs have paid for themselves

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
This is really helpful as we're planning a trip to Lake Garda via Austria. Fussen in en route. We also fancy a night or two in Nattersee, it looks amazing. Thank you.
JoshnPen I would go back via Bolzano then the Reisa Pass, for a change of scenery, and back towards Fussen with a stop at Prutz campsite where you can catch a free bus up to the top of the glacier and view 3 countries. The campsite is ACSI and good. Landecker is a pleasant town to visit too

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

That’s not a bad route, however and this is first hand experience, the road parallel to the motorway was being resurfaced years ago and part of it was closed and they DID send you down the motorway for one junction, however I was on the bike and had a vignette anyhow BUT there was police looking for the stickers when we got off, they was just about to pull me over when they saw the sticker on the fork leg, then waved me on This is not fiction, this is fact! Would you get done without a go box? I don’t know, I didn’t have a motorhome back then.
For that reason alone I do a route that never gets to put me on a motorway👍
Alpencamp is a wonderful campsite, it was full when we got there and can be a bit tight at 7.5m getting to the back (I’ve still got the scar to prove it) but a fantastic site none the less with a good Billa (supermarket) at the end of the road. However whatever you do don’t turn left out of the campsite on the 111 towards scillian (Italy) it can be quite challenging to say the least😁😁
I love the whole Villach tarvisio Lienz area of the world, it’s my favourite place which we try to get to at least once a year👍
For future reference don’t go that area in the beginning of September, you will be surrounded by 100,000 Harley Davidsons 👍😁😁

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
For lake bled you also need a DarSgo box. Can get from first station after tunnel in slovenia
Was interesting getting one as man first read my V5 on the welsh language side!

When a kid cars had stickers on the back of countries visited.

Now my windscreen risks being blocked by go boxes from Slovenia Austria Spain and Portugal. As well as the crit air stickers!

Lake bled pretty mind.

I'd recommend alpen camp kotschach. Some great cycling along river side.
IMG_5194.jpeg

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
If you want lake bled camp site a la CAMC worth booking in advance. If busy they stop you on the approach road to check a reservation.

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for that all great info.
I remember as a young squaddie based in west Germany being able to drive back to Scotland through numerous countries , no stickers needed !
They were the days

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
We have just returned from 6 weeks in Austria/Germany and thought it would be simple to use the A8 (Panzerstrasser) once over the border at Salzburg.
Big mistake! Major roadworks still going on in several places and they had also shut the tunnel near the Lux border which meant the back roads were full of artics too.
The old road over the Tauern Pass south of Salzburg is a delight and gets you well on the way down to Slovenia too.
Cb.

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
ChesterB thanks for that , planning on coming from Lake Constance so coming in the west side, but plan on heading home via Salzburg so all good and will keep in mind, did you have a go box ?

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
What a mine of information you guys are. The wife wanted to go though austria to lake garda, but having just tried to understand the emissions stickers in austria and now all this talk of go boxes....which as we avoid motorways is ok but you guys say avoiding is a pain i dont know what to do - is switzerland any more straightfowards ? my van is 4250k what is the cost of these stickers/black box. im all sorted for germany and france - not very joined up are these eu chappies ....

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
What a mine of information you guys are. The wife wanted to go though austria to lake garda, but having just tried to understand the emissions stickers in austria and now all this talk of go boxes....which as we avoid motorways is ok but you guys say avoiding is a pain i dont know what to do - is switzerland any more straightfowards ? my van is 4250k what is the cost of these stickers/black box. im all sorted for germany and france - not very joined up are these eu chappies ....
Switzerland is very straightforward using the via app, and Austria is fine if you keep away from roads that travel adjacent to motorways (less chance of getting forced on one)
I’ve never bought a go box and been through Austria a few times now (we’re 5 tons) but if you’re going south it does mean a few alpine passes which are very nice😉:giggler::giggler:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Just putting these couple of links on here as they contain recent information on Austria and crossing it and numerous photos on numerous different journal entries

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
ok, so.. which do you advise, swiss or austria as a route to italy, i love the idea of mountain passes as long as my brakes hold out...........

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Just putting these couple of links on here as they contain recent information on Austria and crossing it and numerous photos on numerous different journal entries

thank you !

OP
OP
Slippymurphy
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
We drove through down to Natterersee campsite outside innsbruck ( which is fantastic well worth a visit ) then onto lake bled Slovenia avoiding toll roads and it seemed to take a lonnnnng time, then onto Croatia. Return straight through Austria to just outside Munich using Go box. We are 3700kgs so only 200kgs over but it cost us about 150 euros which I thought was really expensive as it’s not a particularly long trip on the A10.
Also the traffic was brutal roadworks a good part of the way and stationary for 2 or 3 chunks of 45 mins at a time a proper PIA!!!
Austria is very nice but I don’t think I’ll be going back unless my van goes on a wee diet to lose the 200 kgs to avoid the Go box

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Whichever road (vignette) comes out the south of salzburg and heads towards Villach is closed for 2 or 3 junctions in both directions causing mayhem. That was about 2 weeks ago.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Yep.
We were travelling North and it must have been from Gollen that motorway traffic had to join the paupers on the scenic route until our satnav took us round some right old back roads, bottom line, we didnt have to pay for the same journey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back