Loud noise and vibration in my motorhome after having a shower

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Hi learned guys out there !

After having a shower today, in my motorhome, I came out of the bathroom, to this horrendous noise, which I thought was a plane outside or even a revvingup motorbike, in my van ! I opened the door, as I am in a shipping yard in Swansea Marina, thinking it might be a speed boat, it was so noisy, When I realised it was MY MH that was not only making this loud noise, but it was shaking my van too as well. I run out of my van, actually thinking it was about to blow up !
Scary or what ? I switched EVERYTHING off , and the noise still carried on, so I just felt Worried and Bewildered what on earth to do? This lasted about 20 minutes after my shower, with no pump on, nothing, it just carried on and on, until it stopped. Now I am so worried to use my shower again in the morning, as did not want this to happen again. The screen shows 50% of water in the system, so it DID HAVE WATER in the TANK< as some people on my Bentley Forum enquired with, so any help on this would help.
Also couldn't find the Pump in the van, to see if this was the culprit making the noise either > It is a Bentley Cobbalt, by the way !

So sorry about the long message, but as I am away for nearly 2 weeks in her, I really want to be reassured that this van wont Blow Up in anyway ? mmmmmm Thanks guys for helping me out once again !

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Wow! That's a new one for me.

First thought is the pump but that's some serious vibration to cause what you have stated. Where is your boiler/ water heater situated? Did it seem like this event was originating from there?

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some better diagnostic advice.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Try running the shower a while on cold. Does it do it. Then again on hot. I also suspect the boiler but why I have no idea unless it was air in the system. Pump is the obvious culprit. Ours is in the false floor almost underneath the shower and is a PITA to get to through a small locker door. If something moves in the locker it can touch the pump and amplify the sound. However, turning the 12v off should have stopped it immediately.

Do you have anyone with you? Having two people listening for the cause will improve the odds of finding it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Hi learned guys out there !

After having a shower today, in my motorhome, I came out of the bathroom, to this horrendous noise, which I thought was a plane outside or even a revvingup motorbike, in my van ! I opened the door, as I am in a shipping yard in Swansea Marina, thinking it might be a speed boat, it was so noisy, When I realised it was MY MH that was not only making this loud noise, but it was shaking my van too as well. I run out of my van, actually thinking it was about to blow up !
Scary or what ? I switched EVERYTHING off , and the noise still carried on, so I just felt Worried and Bewildered what on earth to do? This lasted about 20 minutes after my shower, with no pump on, nothing, it just carried on and on, until it stopped. Now I am so worried to use my shower again in the morning, as did not want this to happen again. The screen shows 50% of water in the system, so it DID HAVE WATER in the TANK< as some people on my Bentley Forum enquired with, so any help on this would help.
Also couldn't find the Pump in the van, to see if this was the culprit making the noise either > It is a Bentley Cobbalt, by the way !

So sorry about the long message, but as I am away for nearly 2 weeks in her, I really want to be reassured that this van wont Blow Up in anyway ? mmmmmm Thanks guys for helping me out once again !
I’d expect you would get a pretty good advice from THE Bentley Forum, there won’t be many owners on here.

Does the noise start again if you use any tap.
You say the pump was off so noise must have originated from somewhere else, where did it sound like it came from

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We need to all see the photos of you running straight outside from the shower!

An airlock can make some fairly interesting sounds, which can make a brick built house vibrate.

I'd be inclined to fill the water tank to full.
The run the cold water, if it splutters, it's an airlock, put your finger over the tap and see if you can get enough pressure to take out the airlock.
Then ensure the hot water boiler is also full, by running the hot tap for a while
if you get air to start with followed by spluttering, that would imply the hot water tank is empty, keep going until it runs normally.
Then put the hot water on for an hour.

And then run the shower (with clothes on) and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Do you have Truma 4E or 6E blown air heating? If so, the blown air can sound like a jet engine under certain circumstances. It is quite normal and stops as soon as the unit cools. It normally happens when the water heating has been on for some time, then the space heating comes on, but the unit is too hot, so the blower goes into maximum mode to cool things down.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Yes, we've had that and it can be very disconcerting. Best described as a self preservation by the boiler.
Mostly it occurred when using the" boost " function,from memory.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Do you have Truma 4E or 6E blown air heating? If so, the blown air can sound like a jet engine under certain circumstances. It is quite normal and stops as soon as the unit cools. It normally happens when the water heating has been on for some time, then the space heating comes on, but the unit is too hot, so the blower goes into maximum mode to cool things down.
Another reason it goes into boost mode is if the motorhome inside temperature is much lower than the set temperature on the thermostat. For example if the motorhome temperature is12°C and the thermostat is set to 20°C. Even if you turn off the heating, the fan will still carry on blowing until the controller thinks it has cooled down enough.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back