Losing power to radio/fridge/step with engine running

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Hi folks. Looking for some help and advice.

This issue started in the last few days on my 2021 Fiat Ducato / Burstner Harmony Lyseo.

When driving the radio just switched off with a complete loss of stored stations / Bluetooth devices etc. It came back to life at our destination with the 12v powered on. Honestly never thought too much about it.

Today on another journey the exact same thing happened. This time I stopped in a lay-by with the engine still running and checked what else could be affected.

Radio (incl reversing cam) - dead
Fridge - dead
Electric step - dead
Truma controller - dead

Switched on the 12v with engine running and all came back to life again, the fridge was in auto mode and immediately picked up the running engine.

Switched off the 12v and everything seemed to stay working, well for at least a few miles when exact same thing happened again so I just left it as we were only an few miles until we reached the site.

We are now hooked up and the 12v system is running and everything is running but wondering if anyone had any idea where to start diagnosing this issue.

My original thoughts were a fuse but surely if a fuse is gone it’s gone it would either work or not.

Any help advice appreciated

Jason

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting

This issue started in the last few days on my 2021 Fiat Ducato / Burstner Harmony Lyseo.

When driving the radio just switched off with a complete loss of stored stations / Bluetooth devices etc. It came back to life at our destination with the 12v powered on. Honestly never thought too much about it.

Today on another journey the exact same thing happened. This time I stopped in a lay-by with the engine still running and checked what else could be affected.

Fridge - dead
Electric step - dead
Truma controller - dead

Switched on the 12v with engine running and all came back to life again, the fridge was in auto mode and immediately picked up the running engine.

Switched off the 12v and everything seemed to stay working, well for at least a few miles when exact same thing happened again so I just left it as we were only an few miles until we reached the site.

We are now hooked up and the 12v system is running and everything is running but wondering if anyone had any idea where to start diagnosing this issue.

My original thoughts were a fuse but surely if a fuse is gone it’s gone it would either work or not.

Jason
What fridge are you running, as there is a problem with the Sargent system feeding power to the thetford fridge.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What fridge are you running, as there is a problem with the Sargent system feeding power to the thetford fridge.
Its a Burstner so no worries about Sargent gear.

Fridge - dead
Electric step - dead
Truma controller - dead

Jason
Are you switching off the 12v when driving? If so there is no need to to do that in European motorhomes. I suspect that your radio was fitted by the dealer with 12v coming from the habitation batteries, which allows you to listen to the radio when you are parked up.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
May be related to the 12V distribution/fusebox. What make/model is it? And just to clarify - is it that the radio normally works fine but has recently started with this switching off problem while driving? Was the fridge completely dead, or was it just the 12V option not working?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
j8snl
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Hi. Thanks for the fast answers.

Never drive with the 12v on, just tried that in the lay-by to see if it brought things back on.

Not Sargent system, it’s Schaudt Electroblock EBL119

Fridge is a Thetford N4142E

Radio is factory fit yes and is powered on / off without ignition. Its a Pioneer AVIC-EV01-DT2-C To be honest it’s terrible and we only use it for the reversing camera 🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
Hi. Thanks for the fast answers.

Never drive with the 12v on, just tried that in the lay-by to see if it brought things back on.

Not Sargent system, it’s Schaudt Electroblock EBL119

Fridge is a Thetford N4142E

Radio is factory fit yes and is powered on / off without ignition. Its a Pioneer AVIC-EV01-DT2-C To be honest it’s terrible and we only use it for the reversing camera 🤣
causes of the fault have a look at www.apuljackelectronics.co.uk , catalogue section , showing Schaudt EBL units and their possible problems .

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Why not? The only motorhomes that automatically switch off the 12v are UK ones, because it is a requirement of the NCC (National Caravan Council). Makes sense for caravans, but none at all for motorhomes. The rest of Europe is more sensible on the matter.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
One possibility is that the D+ signal, which indicated that the engine is running, might not be getting through to the EBL. Presumably the D+ is still actually being produced by the alternator - does the alternator light on the dashboard go off as normal when the engine is started? Can you test for the D+ with a meter? Are you OK using a multimeter to check voltages?

The D+ signal is used for various things, like turning the fridge on while driving, turning leisure battery charging on while driving, and maybe other things like turning off the awning light while driving, retracting the step or sounding an alarm if the step is left extended. And maybe switching over the radio from the cab electrics to the hab electrics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Our step will retract with the engine running but you cannot put it out again without turning the engine off. Continental van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
j8snl
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
May be related to the 12V distribution/fusebox. What make/model is it? And just to clarify - is it that the radio normally works fine but has recently started with this switching off problem while driving? Was the fridge completely dead, or was it just the 12V option not working?
Hi Autorouter.

Just confirming for you Schaudt Electroblock 119

The radio had always worked fine whilst driving and we had this issue last week where it just powered off. We didn’t realise the other items like fridge / step were affected then just realised that today.

And the fridge has always worked on auto correctly, the issue today was it was off totally not working from any source until I put on the 12v, switched it back on again then the auto diverted it to DC battery. I also discovered I don’t have batteries in my backup which would have prevented that and switched it. So I’ll add those batteries but obviously trying to see why all these devices are switching off mid drive

On your second response (thanks again) alternator light coming on a off per normal

I have a multimeter with me yes but unfortunately I’m a total novice with that and I have no idea how to test for D+ but know it’s on Block 2 as I scanned the manual but honestly didn’t understand it.

meanders - this is what my previous van done. This van will display an LED if our whilst engine on but will go out and in with engine on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
j8snl
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Why not? The only motorhomes that automatically switch off the 12v are UK ones, because it is a requirement of the NCC (National Caravan Council). Makes sense for caravans, but none at all for motorhomes. The rest of Europe is more sensible on the matter.
Don’t really know 🤣. Previous MoHo was a UK one so guess I’ve just always done what I’ve always done.

But still would like to understand the issue and why something that’s worked for the 26 months we’ve owned the Burstner is now not working

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have a multimeter with me yes but unfortunately I’m a total novice with that and I have no idea how to test for D+ but know it’s on Block 2 as I scanned the manual but honestly didn’t understand it.
OK, set the meter to 20V DC if it's manual range switching (If it's auto ranging set it to DC Volts and just let it do its thing). The 'DC' symbol is two lines, one solid, one dashed, ie not the 'AC' symbol which is a single curly wave. Plug the black wire into the 'COM' socket, and the red wire into the socket with a 'V' in the label.

You could test your setup on the battery terminals to be sure they are right - red probe on the positive, black probe on the negative. You should get a reading of between 10V and 15V. If you get the probes the wrong way round, all that happens is that a minus sign appears on the display in front of the reading. If that works, you are ready to check for the D+ signal.

As you say, the D+ comes into the EBL on Pin3 of Block 2 (the 5-way connector). There is a small '1' on the front panel showing which pin is Pin1. You might be able to push the probe into the back of the connector to make contact. Try the red probe (positive) in Pin3 of Block2. The black probe can go to any negative - all the negatives are connected together, Pin2 of Block2 is the actual D+ negative. A more convenient negative might be Pin1 of Block6 - the 3-way connector marked 'Solar', which is probably not used and easy to get the probe into.

The D+ signal should be high when the engine is running (12V to 15V). It should be low when the engine is stopped (about zero volts, less than 2V).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I also wonder if this is a d+ issue

I'd also not switch off the 12v hab when driving. Mine Is left on 24/7 always have done

Upvote 0
OP
OP
j8snl
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
OK, set the meter to 20V DC if it's manual range switching (If it's auto ranging set it to DC Volts and just let it do its thing). The 'DC' symbol is two lines, one solid, one dashed, ie not the 'AC' symbol which is a single curly wave. Plug the black wire into the 'COM' socket, and the red wire into the socket with a 'V' in the label.

You could test your setup on the battery terminals to be sure they are right - red probe on the positive, black probe on the negative. You should get a reading of between 10V and 15V. If you get the probes the wrong way round, all that happens is that a minus sign appears on the display in front of the reading. If that works, you are ready to check for the D+ signal.

As you say, the D+ comes into the EBL on Pin3 of Block 2 (the 5-way connector). There is a small '1' on the front panel showing which pin is Pin1. You might be able to push the probe into the back of the connector to make contact. Try the red probe (positive) in Pin3 of Block2. The black probe can go to any negative - all the negatives are connected together, Pin2 of Block2 is the actual D+ negative. A more convenient negative might be Pin1 of Block6 - the 3-way connector marked 'Solar', which is probably not used and easy to get the probe into.

The D+ signal should be high when the engine is running (12V to 15V). It should be low when the engine is stopped (about zero volts, less than 2V).
Thanks so much for this.

Let me try that tomorrow as we will probably lose light soon.

I really appreciate your time for these responses.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back