Losing DAB signal when using cigar lighter USB charger (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
As the title says, when I plug in my phone and attach it to the USB charger, I lose DAB signal to varying degrees, quite often the radio goes off and doesn't come back on until I unplug.
I have done a lot of Googling and it seems that I need to try a shielded charger and charging lead.
I have already tried adding ferrite blocks to my charging leads in various conformations but they make no difference.
I have spent ages looking at Amazon chargers/leads trying to find ones that highlight their shielding capabilities but not really had much success.
Has anyone on here had a similar issue and has solved it with a better charger/lead please? If so, can you advise exactly what you bought?
Many thanks in advance ;-)

Aug 2, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey SE 76-2T
Exp
Since 2016
Dont know how to fix it but in my Bailey if you have the dab radio on and switch on either of the front reading lamps it loses the signal. Swith them off and it comes back on.

Spooky

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
maybe a drop in voltage is causing it ?

OP
OP
BrianS
Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
It's the high frequency switching in the adapter (buck converter) . Try different more expensive adapters
Such as what please?
Sorry if I wasn't clear but I am really after specific recommendations for shielded chargers/leads that work.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I had the same issue in a lexus a few years ago, dealers couldn't find the problem, do wanted to know where it was doing it, one day I stopped to take a photo of the sat nav to show them, disconnected the phone and signal came back instantly, I think I tried another charger/12v plug and it worked...

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
Same happens on my Kenwood when I turn on the seperate reversing camera.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Had a similar thing with a charger. Replaced the plug with a top quality item and the problem went away. Sorry can't remember where I got it from though, probably Amazon!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Scosche are good quality adapters but I can't say using one would solve your problem or not.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I don't have personal experience of this issue, however you could check to see if the adaptor is FCC certifed, if not have a look on amazon for one that is and see if that helps, there are some on there but I haven't linked to one because I don't know specifically what your requirements are.

Jan 29, 2023
Blackburn, Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Romahome R30
Exp
Since 2022
As the title says, when I plug in my phone and attach it to the USB charger, I lose DAB signal to varying degrees, quite often the radio goes off and doesn't come back on until I unplug.
I have done a lot of Googling and it seems that I need to try a shielded charger and charging lead.
I have already tried adding ferrite blocks to my charging leads in various conformations but they make no difference.
I have spent ages looking at Amazon chargers/leads trying to find ones that highlight their shielding capabilities but not really had much success.
Has anyone on here had a similar issue and has solved it with a better charger/lead please? If so, can you advise exactly what you bought?
Many thanks in advance ;-)
Try an Anker adapter. I had the same problem in a few different vehicles and an Anker adapter stopped it in each one. Also, if the problem persists keep the wiring apart, i.e. don't have the DAB wired into the same fuse as the adapter. My dash cam interfered with the DAB. Wired to a different fuse now and routed to the other side of the screen. Problem solved.

OP
OP
BrianS
Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
Try an Anker adapter. I had the same problem in a few different vehicles and an Anker adapter stopped it in each one. Also, if the problem persists keep the wiring apart, i.e. don't have the DAB wired into the same fuse as the adapter. My dash cam interfered with the DAB. Wired to a different fuse now and routed to the other side of the screen. Problem solved.
There are a couple of Anker choices. This is the more expensive but the advert makes no mention of shielding. Do you think it's worth a try?
https://www.onbuy.com/gb/p/anker-car-charger-quick-charge-30-36w-metal-dual-usb-car-charger-adapter-powerdrive-iii-2-port-36w-alloy-for-galaxy-s20-s20-s10-s10e-s10~p58278801/?exta=gshp&extac=gshpfa

Or this one from amazon?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
These are FCC certified and worth a try in my opinion.

iSOUL Car Charger, USB Car Cigarette Lighter 12V/24V (5V/5A/30W) 4.8A (Qualcomm Certified) USB Car Chargers Adapter 2-Port, Fast Charging for iPhone 12 11 X Pro Max SE Samsung Galaxy iOS Android https://amzn.eu/d/0cD5uLhC

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
These are FCC certified
I would take any compliance markings on nondescript Chinese brands with a pinch of salt. They can self certify and without third party certification not worth the ink they used.

FCC is also an American region compliance marking.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Chasing down interference can be difficult. If you have a USB socket in the habitation area of the MH you could try that. This may not be a practical solution but the result may help identify what's happening.

You could try adding ferrite beads to the wires going to the cigar lighter socket. Putting them as close to the socket as possible. If the interference is getting into the supply this might help.

If you can find the wires taking power to the DAB radio add beads to these as well, close to the radio.

Beads on the USB lead should be placed close to the charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I would take any compliance markings on nondescript Chinese brands with a pinch of salt. They can self certify and without third party certification not worth the ink they used.

FCC is also an American region compliance marking.
True but for £10 and the ability to return it to Amazon if it doesn't do the job it's worth a punt. It's also CE certified (allegedly) by the way. The reason why I suggested an FCC certified device is because the FCC regulates electronic equipment to protect consumers and prevent radio frequency (RF) interference between digital devices by setting specific limits on the intentional and unintentional radio signals a device can emit. The fact that it's an American standard is irrelevant in this context.

OP
OP
BrianS
Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
Chasing down interference can be difficult. If you have a USB socket in the habitation area of the MH you could try that. This may not be a practical solution but the result may help identify what's happening.

You could try adding ferrite beads to the wires going to the cigar lighter socket. Putting them as close to the socket as possible. If the interference is getting into the supply this might help.

If you can find the wires taking power to the DAB radio add beads to these as well, close to the radio.

Beads on the USB lead should be placed close to the charger.
Thanks for the info. Regarding the ferrite beads, as I said, I have already tried adding them to my charging leads in various conformations but they make no difference :-(

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
BrianS
Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
Belkin have a good reputation. Just come off a Live Chat to be told "Yes, as per checking, we don't have a BoostCharge car charger that are shielded."
Quite surprising really :-(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back